iPad for LR cc

Edit My Images
Yes
BD88D200-B0B5-448F-877A-59391AABE5C8.jpeg hi all.

Need some help, LR cc is just crashing my iPad, I’m looking into replacing it but funds are tight, well I’d have to choose iPad or new lens.

So I’m completely clueless on all these iPads now, mine was bought by work, so never really looked into them and I would say 75% of my editing in on the iPad as it’s just easier unless I really have to do more then I have the imac.

I have the attached, I’ve been looking at iPad pros prob 1st gen.

Or would you recommend something else ??
Budget wise, I don’t really have one, but everything I spend comes out of the Nikon 70-200/200-500 budget I have saved.

Any help please

View attachment 146544 hi all.

Need some help, LR cc is just crashing my iPad, I’m looking into replacing it but funds are tight, well I’d have to choose iPad or new lens.

So I’m completely clueless on all these iPads now, mine was bought by work, so never really looked into them and I would say 75% of my editing in on the iPad as it’s just easier unless I really have to do more then I have the imac.

Budget wise, I don’t really have one, but everything I spend comes out of the Nikon 70-200/200-500 budget I have saved.

Any help please

I think that's an original iPad Air which was from 2013 so I'm not too surprised that Lightroom would be struggling on it.

You could look for a second hand iPad Pro 10.5" now that folk are upgrading to the new iPad Pro 11 or perhaps the standard "iPad" which is much the same as you have but with a faster processor and more RAM (2GB v 1GB).

Personally I'm not sure you'll see a huge difference between the iPad Air and a First Gen iPad Pro, it wasn't until the Second Generation Pro that there was a big upgrade in RAM.

I think that's an original iPad Air which was from 2013 so I'm not too surprised that Lightroom would be struggling on it.

You could look for a second hand iPad Pro 10.5" now that folk are upgrading to the new iPad Pro 11 or perhaps the standard "iPad" which is much the same as you have but with a faster processor and more RAM (2GB v 1GB).

Personally I'm not sure you'll see a huge difference between the iPad Air and a First Gen iPad Pro, it wasn't until the Second Generation Pro that there was a big upgrade in RAM.
So at minimum I’m looking at 2nd gen pro or just a better/newer iPad, I really like the idea of the pen

So at minimum I’m looking at 2nd gen pro or just a better/newer iPad, I really like the idea of the pen

I would say so - the other option could be an Android Tablet - I used a Samsung Galaxy S3 (which has a stylus) and Lightroom ran fairly well - its also an older model now so fairly cheap - that said I'd probably still rather have the iPad.

You could try a 2nd hand surface pro. You'll have pen support and full lightroom :)

Any help please

I've wanted to be able to cull/pp raw files from the comfort of my sofa and have been looking at the main choices for quite some time. For me, it was either a windows 10 tablet or an I Pad Pro.
The tablet would have given the option of using my standalone LR software - the Ipad Pro would give me a degree of familiarity as I currently have an older 9.7" Ipad (sadly not much good for running newer apps as I can't uodate past IOS 9.3) and screen size too small.
In the end, I've gone for a second gen 12.9" Ipad Pro (John Lewis clearance). I know that i'll have to change my workflow etc etc but in the end, I decided to take the money from my new camera/lens fund.
It may or may not help my problem of images piling up, waiting to be culled/PPd but my backlog is so large that I knew I had to do something in an effort to break the impasse.
In the end, I reasoned that there was no point in me spending more money on a new body or super duper glass if all it was going to do was to add to my predicament.
Only time will tell if I've made the right decision.
i'm not sure how much of this is of any help but wanted to post as there do seem to be some similarities.
Good luck.

I've wanted to be able to cull/pp raw files from the comfort of my sofa and have been looking at the main choices for quite some time. For me, it was either a windows 10 tablet or an I Pad Pro.
The tablet would have given the option of using my standalone LR software - the Ipad Pro would give me a degree of familiarity as I currently have an older 9.7" Ipad (sadly not much good for running newer apps as I can't uodate past IOS 9.3) and screen size too small.
In the end, I've gone for a second gen 12.9" Ipad Pro (John Lewis clearance). I know that i'll have to change my workflow etc etc but in the end, I decided to take the money from my new camera/lens fund.
It may or may not help my problem of images piling up, waiting to be culled/PPd but my backlog is so large that I knew I had to do something in an effort to break the impasse.
In the end, I reasoned that there was no point in me spending more money on a new body or super duper glass if all it was going to do was to add to my predicament.
Only time will tell if I've made the right decision.
i'm not sure how much of this is of any help but wanted to post as there do seem to be some similarities.
Good luck.

Exactly the issue I have at the moment, I can use the ima , which is fine but it’s in the “Xbox room” used to be my room, but seems children decide what’s what now :mad:

@mrgubby
It’s an idea, I’m have the adobe suite, no idea it’s it’s a mac version only or I can cross platforms ? I’m guessing it would cause issues ?

I would say so - the other option could be an Android Tablet - I used a Samsung Galaxy S3 (which has a stylus) and Lightroom ran fairly well - its also an older model now so fairly cheap - that said I'd probably still rather have the iPad.

Same as above really with Android

@scott199 , I think it is cross platform. You just log into your CC account & it downloads the version you need

I've been using it on my Surface Pro 3 & it runs nicely (Just upgraded to a Pro 5 for more RAM )

There was a big upgrade in RAM in the First iPad Pro but it was only on the 12.9" model (4GB), the 9.7" only had 2GB. The 2nd Gen, the 9.7" went to 10.5" and 4GB too. You will see quite a big difference if you go for the 12.9 version over an iPad Air, basically double the speed and double the RAM.

The 3rd Gen is annoying as both are also 4GB, unless you go for 1TB of storage, then you get 6GB, but they don't even tell you!

Will be putting a 1st Gen 12.9" 128GB Cellular up for sale soon as I've upgraded to a 2nd Gen with more storage.

I do most of my editing on Lightroom CC on my phone (iPhone 6S+). Tried using CC on your phone for basic edits ? Zero money out of your lens budget if you get on with it.

I also do a lot of basic editing on my phone now, Lightroom CC on a mobile is surprisingly full featured.

There was a big upgrade in RAM in the First iPad Pro but it was only on the 12.9" model (4GB), the 9.7" only had 2GB. The 2nd Gen, the 9.7" went to 10.5" and 4GB too. You will see quite a big difference if you go for the 12.9 version over an iPad Air, basically double the speed and double the RAM.

The 3rd Gen is annoying as both are also 4GB, unless you go for 1TB of storage, then you get 6GB, but they don't even tell you!

Will be putting a 1st Gen 12.9" 128GB Cellular up for sale soon as I've upgraded to a 2nd Gen with more storage.

Thanks, any idea on rough price ?

I do most of my editing on Lightroom CC on my phone (iPhone 6S+). Tried using CC on your phone for basic edits ? Zero money out of your lens budget if you get on with it.

Yes, tried it before but today I’ve had to do a few, it’s not to bad, feels a little strange, my basic iPhone 7 screen is a little small, worable thou

I also do a lot of basic editing on my phone now, Lightroom CC on a mobile is surprisingly full featured.

Agreed, it’s not all that bad, sports is shoot jpeg and normally need very little adjustment, so iPhone today was fine.

Any help please

Hiya,

I’ve my iPad Pro 12.9” 2nd Gen 512Gb, Apple Pencil, Apple SD Card Reader (Camera Connection Kit), and Case for sale in the classifieds.

Its been fantastic for 40-50mb files within Lightroom CC, and Affinity Photo.

I’m only selling because i’m upgrading to the 3rd Gen (I’m a gadget freak who has upgraded to each new iPad Pro when they have been released).

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/£785-inc-rmsd-new-warranty-replaced-ipad-pro-12-9”-512gb-2nd-gen-silver-wifi-pencil-case-more.689201/

Ta,
Shane.

Last edited:
Hiya,

I’ve my iPad Pro 12.9” 2nd Gen 512Gb, Apple Pencil, Apple SD Card Reader (Camera Connection Kit), and Case for sale in the classifieds.

Its been fantastic for 40-50mb files within Lightroom CC, and Affinity Photo.

I’m only selling because i’m upgrading to the 3rd Gen (I’m a gadget freak you has upgraded to each new iPad Pro when they have been released).

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/£785-inc-rmsd-new-warranty-replaced-ipad-pro-12-9”-512gb-2nd-gen-silver-wifi-pencil-case-more.689201/

Ta,
Shane.
Hi mate, looks great but just out if my budget I’m afraid, not that I really have one, but £800 is more than I want to spend.

But thank you

Bringing this back to life, have the chance on a ipad pro 12.9” a1584 model.

Is this going to be happy with RAWS or am I wasting my time ?

Whats a 1584 model?

Anyway, i use my 2017 12.9 iPad pro 99% of the time for editing my image and love the convenience of doing it from wherever i want. No speed issues at all.
I normally load my raw files in to LR CC so it uploads them to the cloud, and then i edit the smart previews. it then downloads the full res files when exporting at max size. I can load raw files to the ipad without issues, but they take up a lot of space so i dont normally bother.

Bringing this back to life, have the chance on a ipad pro 12.9” a1584 model.

Is this going to be happy with RAWS or am I wasting my time ?

That's a 1st gen model with 4GB RAM and worked fine with my D850 RAW files, so you should be fine.

As a side note I recently replaced my computer setup with a new MacBook Pro, one of the things I did was to buy external hard drive enclosures with the new USB-C connection, so that I could back up files. This made me think that when on location it's ideal to backup to an external drive or 2 as well as the copy on the laptop. This reminded me that the iPad can't do any of that, so even though it's a more mobile device than the laptop, it's more at home in the home where there's a consistent wifi connection. Ah, choices choices eh?

That's a 1st gen model with 4GB RAM and worked fine with my D850 RAW files, so you should be fine.

As a side note I recently replaced my computer setup with a new MacBook Pro, one of the things I did was to buy external hard drive enclosures with the new USB-C connection, so that I could back up files. This made me think that when on location it's ideal to backup to an external drive or 2 as well as the copy on the laptop. This reminded me that the iPad can't do any of that, so even though it's a more mobile device than the laptop, it's more at home in the home where there's a consistent wifi connection. Ah, choices choices eh?

Thank you, to be honest its Mostly 95% use at home, just find for basics iPad is so much more convenient, chill on coach, do a little or what ever, when I start on the iMac I seem to be there for hours and think I’ve got to get through it all, but it’s great to know it works, cheers

Well you can back up to an external flash drive (at least) from the pre 2018 iPad pro's. I do this when im on holiday with my 2017 iPad. not as cheap as doing it to a HDD but at least its using USB3 so not too slow.

How do you do that? We've got a 500GB external SSD we can use and I can't see a way of doing it natively. My idea would be to import into Lightroom CC, sort out and delete what I don't want and copy what's left to the HD. Obviously very easy to do with the laptop but the files app on the iPad seems to be cloud based only.

How do you do that? We've got a 500GB external SSD we can use and I can't see a way of doing it natively. My idea would be to import into Lightroom CC, sort out and delete what I don't want and copy what's left to the HD. Obviously very easy to do with the laptop but the files app on the iPad seems to be cloud based only.
Well as i said, a flash drive. Thats not the same as a HDD. For example, but not limited to this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-iX...548859197&sr=8-18&keywords=sandisk+usb3+128gb

As its USB3 its very fast to transfer back to a computer when i get home etc. Its not something id use for days out, but for holidays this works perfectly for me. It also allows me to put films from it on to my ipad (or just play them off the stick) so it gets used both ways.

Last edited:
Well as i said, a flash drive. Thats not the same as a HDD. For example, but not limited to this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-iX...548859197&sr=8-18&keywords=sandisk+usb3+128gb

As its USB3 its very fast to transfer back to a computer when i get home etc. Its not something id use for days out, but for holidays this works perfectly for me. It also allows me to put films from it on to my ipad (or just play them off the stick) so it gets used both ways.

Thanks for that, at least I've learned something!

Does the software that comes with one of these flash drives actually give a 'proper' file browser to actually show all files on your iPhone/iPad or are they heavily restricted to what they can access? Whilst I'm not impressed with having to buy more storage, if it does work well it's worth looking into.

Thanks for that, at least I've learned something!

Does the software that comes with one of these flash drives actually give a 'proper' file browser to actually show all files on your iPhone/iPad or are they heavily restricted to what they can access? Whilst I'm not impressed with having to buy more storage, if it does work well it's worth looking into.
Agreed, cheaper than buying a massive iPad, I’d happily take this as a work around

I find lightroom on iPad an incredible chore for some reason. You folks had better success with it as a wedding editing tool?

Back