Santorini

Name
Ross
Edit My Images
No
Just back from a week in Santorini. Beautiful place to take your camera gear to but the crowds of people were the exact opposite I try to encouter when out with my camera. I fear its become too busy for the casual photographer. I saw at least 30 brides a day standing on roof tops wanting that 'perfect' snap. I must be in the background of a lot of wedding photo's from all around the world.

Anyway, this was around sunset time in Oia, in the north of the island. Due to the thousands of people there it was very hard to get a stitched shot with my proper gear but managed this off my lowly phone. Gives you a feel.

I'll add a couple more as and when I get round to editing and stitching.

Looks a lovely place to visit, I've wanted to go for a long time but if its ultra busy I might make it a winter holiday
if you're going for purely photography reasons I'd say it's something to consider.

You can't really make it out here because of the low res of the camera but at a guess I would say there were between 2-3000 people watching this scene, in every bar, restaurant, alleyway, even behind me (I was stood on a wall here)

Took us about 15-20 minutes to get back to the main square due to the crowds, was like being funnelled along the backs of terraced houses on a match day, and this was coming to the end of high season for tourism.

if you're going for purely photography reasons I'd say it's something to consider.

You can't really make it out here because of the low res of the camera but at a guess I would say there were between 2-3000 people watching this scene, in every bar, restaurant, alleyway, even behind me (I was stood on a wall here)

Took us about 15-20 minutes to get back to the main square due to the crowds, was like being funnelled along the backs of terraced houses on a match day, and this was coming to the end of high season for tourism.

Photography will be a big part of the holiday (when the lights nice I shoot and when its crap I eat and sight see) but I think given what you say I will have to go in low season. I like peace, tranquility and quiet and not being around hoardes of people.

I hope to see more of your images of this place however if you took the camera.

Photography will be a big part of the holiday (when the lights nice I shoot and when its crap I eat and sight see) but I think given what you say I will have to go in low season. I like peace, tranquility and quiet and not being around hoardes of people.

I hope to see more of your images of this place however if you took the camera.
I'd recommend Firostefani then. We stayed at the Belvedere and it was great for a weeks stay, quiet but with enough restaurants for that amount of time and a 10 minute walk to Fira which is a bit more lively (but not much). Oia, where the iPhone shot was taken was by far and away the busiest place on the island, was about a 20 minute journey by car.

this was taken from our rooms balcony:

Last edited:
It looks a fantastic island and I will go one day. I look forward to seeing your DSLR version, I did read about another photographer who got annoyed with the evening crowds and he created a stunning sunrise shot from that location.

It looks a very pretty place and the light is beautiful. I always find it amazing how many people appreciate sunsets in foreign countries but don't bother back home, even though our weather means they're often more interesting!

cheers Gaz

Back