iPhone ProRaw transfer --> PC

Name
DC
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. Could anybody please help me with this issue that I'm having with the iPhone ProRaw format .... I want to transfer it via my iCloud to my PC , for later editing the raw file in Luminar AI , but when the file is transfered , is a jpeg ..... any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

The thought that occurs to me is that Luminar AI cannot read the raw file but can see the embedded jpeg in the raw file.

But having said that just how big is the file in the phone and how big is the jpeg you 'receive' at your PC???

You need to export the photos as unmodified originals. Even so, not all post-processing software can handle ProRaw images. This particular raw format isn't listed in the types that Luminar AI accepts, and the latest information I can find on it is this, which says that there is no ETA for ProRaw support. This was a couple of months ago, so things might have advanced since then.

Thanks for checking that for me , but I can confirm that with the latest update , Luminar Ai does support Apple ProRaw.
So , as for the export you are saying under Settings->Photos->Transfer to mac or pc to be Keep Originals
In Settings->Camera->Formats->Camera Capture / High Efficiency or Most Compatible ..... does this have any impact on the raw file or at the transfer stage ?

The thought that occurs to me is that Luminar AI cannot read the raw file but can see the embedded jpeg in the raw file.

But having said that just how big is the file in the phone and how big is the jpeg you 'receive' at your PC???
The Raw file something over 25Mb , the Jpeg 3Mbish

I did try it with Keep Originals setting .... but the outcome is the same. If I want to download it from iCloud to my PC , I get the jpeg ...... did try to email the same file , and it did send the .dng one.

So , as for the export you are saying under Settings->Photos->Transfer to mac or pc to be Keep Originals
In Settings->Camera->Formats->Camera Capture / High Efficiency or Most Compatible ..... does this have any impact on the raw file or at the transfer stage ?

I'm not exactly sure how you're trying to get the photo onto your PC. Do I take it that you have your photos backed up to iCloud Photos, and that you're downloading from www.icloud.com/photos onto your PC using a web browser? I wasn't clear on that when I read your original post, and for some reason I assumed there was a Mac involved, in which case you'd just export from the Photos app on the Mac, and choose 'Export as unmodified originals' when prompted.

But if you're downloading from the iCloud/Photos website, or exporting from the iPhone, I don't think this will work. In fact, from what I've read on the web, a lot of people are upset about the fact that Apple assume you're going to be working with your ProRaw files on a Mac, not a PC. For example, this thread:

The thread is a few months old and things might have changed. Or, it's possible that the problem will be addressed in iOS 14.5. Perhaps someone else knows more about this than I do.

I'm not exactly sure how you're trying to get the photo onto your PC. Do I take it that you have your photos backed up to iCloud Photos, and that you're downloading from www.icloud.com/photos onto your PC using a web browser? I wasn't clear on that when I read your original post, and for some reason I assumed there was a Mac involved, in which case you'd just export from the Photos app on the Mac, and choose 'Export as unmodified originals' when prompted.

But if you're downloading from the iCloud/Photos website, or exporting from the iPhone, I don't think this will work. In fact, from what I've read on the web, a lot of people are upset about the fact that Apple assume you're going to be working with your ProRaw files on a Mac, not a PC. For example, this thread:

The thread is a few months old and things might have changed. Or, it's possible that the problem will be addressed in iOS 14.5. Perhaps someone else knows more about this than I do.
Thank you - yes , I'm trying exactly the way that you described it.

*** In case other people reading this and interested in a solution .... the way that it works for me now is that if you move the RAW file to iCloud Drive and download it to your PC via iCloud , you'll get the .dng file ***

Last edited:
Thanks for providing a solution! It seems obvious in retrospect that the Photos app will only ever output a jpeg, whereas if you treat it as a file rather than as a photo, you get the original.

Back