IRC. Come get some.

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
IRC stands for "Internet Relay Chat." Its full of "channels" which are basically chat rooms. Read the Wiki. Basically we have a channel there called #talkphotography. All channels have a # before them. Each channel has a bunch of people with an @ sign before them, they are ops. Channel operators. They have the power to control the channel, kick people out, ban them and change the topic.

Standalone IRC Applications;

mIRC for Windows
Colloquy or X-Chat Aqua for OSX
X-Chat for Linux

Browser Based Addons;

Chatzilla for Firefox
Opera has IRC built in.

So just install them as you would any other program on your computer. You will need to put in some basic information. Now IRC is VERY informal so do not put in your email address or real name, or any personal details. Your nickname can, and probably should, be your forum name. For the name and email just put "NA." Once thats done you can try and click #talkphotography. In theory that should connect you to the channel automatically. It won't every time so you will need to setup the program to auto connect to Quakenet and then join #talkphotography.

Guides:

mIRC
Chatzilla
Opera.
X-Chat

Basic commands that you type in the chat box:

/join <channel> - Joins a channel - /join #talkphotography
/part - Parts a channel
/quit - Quits the network
/me <action> - Performs an action - /me jumps - *cyk jumps*

We also have 2 bots in the channel. One is a network specific bot called L. He protects the channel for us. The other is Sumomo. She has a whole host of commands. If you want to quickly google something type .g <search term> and she will list the top 3 on google. You can get the weather for your area via .w <postcode or town>. She also has AI and is always up for a chat.

irc-20070815-183629.jpg

So, any questions?

Ok I think Im in, bit of trouble logging in. Who else is in talking?

I am, I'm usually in there talking or idling.

Say hi, say anything you like.
Rules are pretty much as on the forums :)

Ok cool :)

Having managed to download whatever it was to "register" then spending several harrowing minutes trying to figure out what the hell it was all about, my head is spinning! and I needed a strong coco to recover :D
but I guess I will go back again & again. I am a real glutton for punishment :bang: :D

edit : Oh and "they" are not cliquey at all "they" let me in :D

Wahey, it was nice to see more people in there tonight (y)

Don't forget where we are :)

Don't tell anyone that I told you.. But there was a girl in IRC tonight.

A Real Girl.

*Rubs thighs*

I'm just waiting for the first TP irc appearance on bash.org :)

I joined and I'm in there now, there are other people there but I can't see any chat, what am I doing wrong?

Edit: OK I found out. Ignore request

OK it looks like I'm the only one in there and my window looks nothing like the one you posted a pic of above Pete, I just have a boring white box :shrug:

OK. I'll ask. Someone has to.

Why?

If there is anything worthwhile in the IRC channel then why isn't it on the forums? Surely it can only detract from the forums. If the content isn't good enough or suitable for the forums then it = dross.

Comments?

OK it looks like I'm the only one in there and my window looks nothing like the one you posted a pic of above Pete, I just have a boring white box :shrug:

It is always a bit dead in the morning. 2blue4u it is just a way to have conversations about stuff that would just clutter up the board, people spotting stuff on flickr they like, or find funny, people just chatting to each other about general non photographic stuff (like the current excitment was Alexisonfire's bike chain becoming stuck - lol) Laughing at threads on OcUK is also quite a good pastime too.

Its much quicker than the forums to be honest, it offers real life chat timings that the forums cant ever offer.

Think of this forum as the camera club, and IRC as the drunken session in the pub afterwards :D

Only 5 people in a chat on msn, IRC can accomodate hundreds :D

Can you only have 5 people in msn? sure I have had more. Anywho IRC is older than msn so therefore it win :p

Can you only have 5 people in msn? sure I have had more. Anywho IRC is older than msn so therefore it win :p

Ah yeah, I think its an old limitation now I come to think of it..Group chats used to be limited to 5 per convo I think.

It used to be limited to 5, dunno if its limited now at all. I've no idea what the physical restriction on IRC is but i've been in channels with 2000+.

Back