Is it still a landscape?

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
Yes
I took this image in 2017 from Pendle Hill of Ingleborough....

But is this still a Landscape or something else....? I made a few different edits using various Topaz Studio effects and then a few Nik Silver Efex twiddles and blended the whole lot together, to produce the final image...

Is it still a Landscape Image, despite the manipulations ???

ingleborough-0881.jpg

It's a bit like asking if a landscape painting is a landscape? Landscapes were around long before photography and it actually reminds me of some landscape etchings. I quite like the image itself but I'm not too keen on the border/edges.

Yes, it's a landscape; but I think it's gone beyond what could be described as a photograph and has become a photomontage. Others may disagree, and they are entitled to their opinion. (y)

Last edited:
Still a landscape, whether it's a photo is debatable. It looks similar to a charcoal drawing, but you know that all the little marks weren't made by the human hand, but the random effects of digital filters, hence it isn't as engaging IMHO.

Yes it's a landscape and rather an appealing one to me.

Forgetting about what it started out as and also what manipulations you have taken it through.... I found myself looking at it for the first time, and wondering if it's a landscape or a seascape.!
It could quite easily be a very rough sea just as easily as a landscape with mountains.
So I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but I would say it's just a bit too impressionistic for my taste !

I would class it as a landscape as its still possible to recognise countryside features. Impressionist? Abstract? Mixed Media?

Whatever, I really like it. I hope you continue to experiment with this look.

don't take this personal but to me and remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder

there is nothing recognisable in the picture not a cloud not a fence post not a blade of grass not a hill not a tree
nothing to focus on nothing to lead your eye into the main subject
so i don't see it as a photograph to me its just a miss mash
so its maybe a abstract ?

I would maybe label it as a digital landscape abstract. It still has something that resembles a landscape but you really have to have the abstract bit there too.

Overall there is something interesting about it, but in general I would prefer such manipulations were created in a physical realm rather than an automated set of scripts.

But is this still a Landscape or something else....?

Without you saying what and where the original scene was, I wouldn't have a clue as to what it was supposed to express tbh.

It comes across to me like something that may be scrawled on a scrap of paper by someone bored at work or a child at school.

I am not throwing personal critiscism at the OP but in all honesty in my eyes the image offers nothing, neither as a photograph nor as a piece of art ( abstract or other!)

I have no objection to judicious photoshopping to improve an image... I do it all the time.
however I really dislike the use of potted art filters.

How did you get the guy from Munch's scream to appear 4 times.

Its growing on me.

The main thing really is do you like and after that if someone else does its a bonus especially when you consider some artists never get recodnised in thir life. What you decide to call it does not matter that much.

Thanks for all the comments both the positive and negative. To be honest I wasn't sure how people would react to it, so I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply.

Back