Is there any free software that's similar to LightRoom?

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
My Adobe contract comes to an end this month and I don't want to continue my subscription. I'm very much against pay per month software and feel I was misinformed that there would be a monthly charge. I just want to pay a set price for software and use it indefinitely.

Is anyone using a similar software to LightRoom that is free, or not pay monthly, that I can use for photo editing? What is a more recent (2021) software that people are using? The simpler the better. Thank you very much for any advice.

As you shoot Nikon, have a look at NX Studio:

and Capture One Express:

Free packages not limited to Nikon include:

Packages with fixed prices include:

For a Photoshop rather than a Lightroom replacement Affinity Photo is excellent (currently half price):

and the current version of GIMP is also nice:

Wow, that's brilliant I will take a look at those, thank you very much! Appreciated.

I've just been editing with NX Studio on my 2015 iMac 8Gb Big Sur, and whilst it does seem to offer much of what LR does, it doesn't run quickly enough - every change I make takes about 3 secs to render on the screen. It probably would work much better on an M1 Mac or a fast pc.

Capture 1 express is really good but it doesn’t have local adjustments like the brush, graduated or radial filter. For general stuff I prefer it to Lightroom though

I've just been editing with NX Studio on my 2015 iMac 8Gb Big Sur, and whilst it does seem to offer much of what LR does, it doesn't run quickly enough - every change I make takes about 3 secs to render on the screen. It probably would work much better on an M1 Mac or a fast pc.

Capture 1 express is really good but it doesn’t have local adjustments like the brush, graduated or radial filter. For general stuff I prefer it to Lightroom though

Thanks both! The thing I like about LightRoom is the import to Library aspect, I can just plug my camera (D500) into my computer and it will import the ones I select, the export after editing is also really easy. Can you do that with NX or Capture 1?

I don't really do massive jobs with Lightroom, just change the exposure when I mess up my camera settings (often lol) and increase vibrance a bit, maybe sharpen a little, that sort of stuff. So I think both those programs will work well. It's just the import and export functionality I would like to know more about.

Thanks both! The thing I like about LightRoom is the import to Library aspect, I can just plug my camera (D500) into my computer and it will import the ones I select, the export after editing is also really easy. Can you do that with NX or Capture 1?

I don't really do massive jobs with Lightroom, just change the exposure when I mess up my camera settings (often lol) and increase vibrance a bit, maybe sharpen a little, that sort of stuff. So I think both those programs will work well. It's just the import and export functionality I would like to know more about.
NX Studio does have some local adjustments (Control Points and the Retouch Brush). It doesn't really have the same concept of a library as LR, but importing and exporting files is straightforward:
Capture One has catalogues and libraries, though features are more limited in the free Express version:

Last edited:
Incidentally, this looks interesting:
It's a derivative of Raw Therapee with what's claimed to be a streamlined, easier to use interface, with some stuff added, other stuff rewritten, and less useful stuff removed. Not much documentation at the moment, but could be worth a look.

Capture 1 express can only export to a folder, whereas Lightroom can do that but can also be linked to a Flickr account as well as a few others. As for importing you just drag photos or folders and a separate tab appears on the left with the date of import for those photos. I’ve only messed around a little bit with but I’m looking at switching to Fuji in a bit so I’ll be using it most of the time

Thanks all, will give them a try when my LightRoom subscription runs out at the end of the month!

Incidentally, this looks interesting:
It's a derivative of Raw Therapee with what's claimed to be a streamlined, easier to use interface, with some stuff added, other stuff rewritten, and less useful stuff removed. Not much documentation at the moment, but could be worth a look.

Interesting indeed! I didn't know there was som much choice out there other than Adobe. Could have saved myself some money!

Thanks again.

My Adobe contract comes to an end this month and I don't want to continue my subscription. I'm very much against pay per month software and feel I was misinformed that there would be a monthly charge. I just want to pay a set price for software and use it indefinitely.

Is anyone using a similar software to LightRoom that is free, or not pay monthly, that I can use for photo editing? What is a more recent (2021) software that people are using? The simpler the better. Thank you very much for any advice.

How have you been misinformed that there was a monthly subscription? Lightroom has been subscription only for years now

ACDsee does everything LR can do and more.
Here's a comparison of its features and most of the other suggestions here.
Prices are in US dollars as I can't find the uk link although I downloaded and paid with £

Back