Is this a Peregrine ?

Name
Rikki
Edit My Images
Yes
I realise its a poor shot, but is this a Peregrine Falcon ?

I hope it is as I can keep a more watchfull eye out. We get lots of Buzzards and Kestrels, but this looks different...

P1070007.jpg

I think its a spazza............(y)

Nope its either a sparrow hawk or goshawk difficult to tell without something to "size it" against"

Chris, we have Goshawks up here at the moment, your right, very hard to tell apart unless you see them full size.Variations wise, methinks this is a sparrowhawk.

Chris, we have Goshawks up here at the moment,
Cool (y)
Spars are more common than Gos's here so "statistics" say Spar
though that silver chest is fairly typical of a Gos.
I'm still none the wiser though :shrug:

I`ll do my best this week to get a Goshawk,leave it with me.....:thinking:

2559036272_b7085e065f_o.jpg

Last edited:
I'll look forward to seeing them (y) I don't tend to get too many wild ones around this area If I see 2 a year I am impressed
Mean time here's a couple of captives
Crap shots taken a few years ago on a point & shoot

Spar

Spar.jpg

Gos
Gos-1.jpg

Here is a Gos, looks more brown so you can understand the confusion. :thinking:

Goshawk_800.jpg

Here is a Gos, looks more brown so you can understand the confusion. :thinking:
I just knew someone would find a brown one :D
I've got a Musket ( male spar) picture here somewhere with the "classic" salmon pink chest but I can't bloody find it :bang: :D
Oh well I think we agree that its an accipiter (y)

This is a peregrine in full song.

FlownNest13.jpg

I'd say a sparrowhawk - female on at the at I supsect as I think the males have bits of "orangey" colour to bits of them!

Matt

2559036272_b7085e065f_o.jpg

Chris, i`ve been doing some reading and searching on this.The female Sparrowhawk and the male Goshawk are virtually identical, well they seem to be to me from what I have discovered today.The main difference is size,my RSPB book says the female Shawk is 25% larger than the male and that the male is smaller than a Kestrel.Also that the female Ghawk is about the size of a buzzard with the male being slightly less.

This bird was quite large,it was sat across the river in a tree as I crawled up the opposite bank. I would say that it was way ,way larger than a kestrel, do we think it is a male Ghawk?...........:shrug:

Took this earlier this year
sparrowhawk.jpg

Its a Sparrowhawk

For my education, what makes you say so?............I`m not doubting anyones input, but would like to know the differences.....:)

Oops, assuming you were answering my question.......:bonk:

Last edited:
Well, the main difference between a Goshwak and a Sparrowhawk is on a Goshawk, the front breast bars point down, whereas the Sparrowhawk's are vertical.

Chris, i`ve been doing some reading and searching on this.The female Sparrowhawk and the male Goshawk are virtually identical, well they seem to be to me from what I have discovered today.The main difference is size,my RSPB book says the female Shawk is 25% larger than the male and that the male is smaller than a Kestrel.Also that the female Ghawk is about the size of a buzzard with the male being slightly less.

This bird was quite large,it was sat across the river in a tree as I crawled up the opposite bank. I would say that it was way ,way larger than a kestrel, do we think it is a male Ghawk?...........:shrug:

Hi Ade ( having flown both species) here are a couple of things that might help
Male Spars ( muskets) are around 4.5oz and not much bigger than a blackbird
Spars ( female) are around 9-10oz and are about the size of a small dove
Male Finnish Gos's ( Euro) 1lb 5-ish oz large pigeon size
Female finnish Gos's around the 2lb 8oz and would look larger than a buzzard
I think the picture shows a male Gos but not sure as I said previously,
as there isn't anything to compare sizes too, unfortunately

I`m confused as hell now..........:geek:

:LOL:

All the images that I have looked at of adult male Gossers show the chest bars going across, the juvenile ones do go down.

This bird was bigger than the average pidgeon.

Mahooooosive crop, if it helps..............:cautious:

Mahoosive_crop.jpg

I made my mind up before looking at all the comments ... :cautious:

It is NOT a Peregrine ... :D

I would wager the OP is a female Sparrowhawk ... ;)

And I do believe your Mahoosive crop is as well Frac ... :shrug:

:p

I made my mind up before looking at all the comments ... :cautious:

It is NOT a Peregrine ... :D

I would wager the OP is a female Sparrowhawk ... ;)

And I do believe your Mahoosive crop is as well Frac ... :shrug:

:p

FIIK...............:D

But it was a large bird?

Last edited:
female Sparrowhawk is quite a big bird to see, the male wont take collared doves but a female can and does, got video footage somewhere in my ex's garden ! :)

The Goshawk has a heavier/larger beak than a Spar too?

Those matchstick legs are rather Spar like now I can see it in close up.
Ian, Female spars really have large "balls" and will take magpies, female pheasants and grouse / partridge, along with pigeons & doves, but generally go for the "softer ( smaller) option" like doves young game birds etc for fear of getting damaged
Muskets don't tend to go for much, much larger than a blackbird but will nail a dove if they can catch it "napping" on the floor

lol i have never seen a Goshawk for real, would probably say it was a spar if i did, thought they were rare lol :)

Yep they are quite rare I know where a female hunts and its in your county not mine, mate;) but on a small private estate :(

I'd forgotten I'd posted this.

Thanks for the ID's guys, I guess were settling for Sparrowhawk then..

Sizewise, it was prolly about the size of a pidgeon, med-large..

Some nice pics of hawks in this thread too !!

Cheers ears !!

BB

Back