Is this correct??

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
Dust bunny now removed

Camera Nikon D800- lens AFs 70-200mm f2.8 G11 ED VR N lens. Supplied lens hood Nikon HB48 @70mm setting

Ok not normal circumstances I know and not anyone would think of doing, . But me being me having a play shooting with built in flash and lens hood on at a distance of about 5 ft the dark, half curve appears on the bottom of the shot. Now this is from the lens hood on, without it no half moon dark area. appears.

The strange thing is using my Nikon d300 with the 24-70mm lens @70mm hood HB40 and flash used exactly the same, the picture is clear, ie no half moon shadow.

All I can conclude is it is something to do with lens barrel length as both lenses a f2.8 and the hoods are again same length and both 77mm .

Any ideas

Last edited:
The d800 isn't crop sensor so will have a wider fov, whereas the d300 is so the narrower fov won't show the hood...that would be my guess.

I would of thought its to do with the length of the lens, I am guessing that 70-200 is about twice the length of the 24-70 and the half moon is caused by the lens hood getting in the way of the light from the flash causing a shadow.

http://mahugh.com/2012/03/25/lens-shadows/

Possibly the answer, Not that as i said it is somethingIi would not do I thought it was an interesting puzzle. We all seem to have come to the same conclusion, thank you

Just stuck an SB-900 speedlight flashgun on top and no half curves

Last edited:
I think the image is slightly underexposed and the white balance is slightly off, maybe use a grey card. Its not really doing much for me though, quite a dull subject, sorry.

I think the image is slightly underexposed and the white balance is slightly off, maybe use a grey card. Its not really doing much for me though, quite a dull subject, sorry.

That was NOT the reason for posting the picture it was for the half moon shadow. it had NOTHING to do with white balance or anything else, obviously you did not read my post properly

That was NOT the reason for posting the picture it was for the half moon shadow. it had NOTHING to do with white balance or anything else, obviously you did not read my post properly
I did, it's in photo feedback so I gave it some feedback :)

Last edited:
Back