Islay

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone ever been here? I am thinking of going in Autumn.
Questions is it better to drive there or fly?

It’s a long drive and then a ferry, but at least you’ll have a car to get about. There’s a lot to see. Fantastic place.

Been there twice. We drove from London but have done trips to many parts of Scotland and include the trip as part of the holiday, but if you have limited time than I can understand wanting to reduce the journey time. I reckon a car is essential and there is car hire on the island. Even without the the nature reserves it is a bird watchers paradise and then there is scenery and, if you like whisky, the distilleries.

Dave

Been there twice. We drove from London but have done trips to many parts of Scotland and include the trip as part of the holiday, but if you have limited time than I can understand wanting to reduce the journey time. I reckon a car is essential and there is car hire on the island. Even without the the nature reserves it is a bird watchers paradise and then there is scenery and, if you like whisky, the distilleries.

Dave
Thank you both. Where did you stop off on way? We won't be going until Feb or Oct 2019 and will probably go via Chorley and take a week.

Where did you stop off on way?

We met up with the friends that went with us and stayed with them in Doncaster for one night, then on to Lochgilphead (stayed here -http://www.lamonthoy.co.uk/ ) for the night before the ferry from Kennacraig the following day - its a fairly short drive from Lochgilphead to the ferry terminal.

Dave

A couple of other questions did you get a guide to see wildlife or just see the reserves? Also where did you stay?

A couple of other questions did you get a guide to see wildlife or just see the reserves? Also where did you stay?

We stayed at Portnahaven in the far south west. It made the drive to other parts a bit long but we liked the house. There is plenty of accommodation elsewhere.

We didn't use a guide, just drove and walked about. The reserve at Loch Gruinart is good but you'll need a big lens from the hide. While it is likely some birds will be near the hide, most are out on the tidal sea loch; but it was good to see the arrival of several hundred barnacle geese.

However, the whole island seems to be full of birds and we saw more species incidentally than on the reserve. The highlights were varied - a flock of about 30 goldfinches suddenly appearing, watching gannets fishing from the cottage, golden eagle and buzzard at the same time, hen harriers, a peregrine chasing a wader, and the choughs.

It is a great place and if you like whisky ...... :)

Dave

We stayed at Portnahaven in the far south west. It made the drive to other parts a bit long but we liked the house. There is plenty of accommodation elsewhere.

We didn't use a guide, just drove and walked about. The reserve at Loch Gruinart is good but you'll need a big lens from the hide. While it is likely some birds will be near the hide, most are out on the tidal sea loch; but it was good to see the arrival of several hundred barnacle geese.

However, the whole island seems to be full of birds and we saw more species incidentally than on the reserve. The highlights were varied - a flock of about 30 goldfinches suddenly appearing, watching gannets fishing from the cottage, golden eagle and buzzard at the same time, hen harriers, a peregrine chasing a wader, and the choughs.

It is a great place and if you like whisky ...... :)

Dave
Sounds great, just need to sell it to the wife... I take it you were there in winter if you saw barnacle geese arrive?

Sounds great, just need to sell it to the wife... I take it you were there in winter if you saw barnacle geese arrive?

Both times we were there late October/early November. The weather was(both times), for that time of year, pretty good, a little rain, fair bit of sunshine but windy or very windy everyday.

If your wife is not into the outdoors and/or wildlife it probably isn't the best place.

Dave

Back