Scotland Isle of Lewis - End of January / Beginning of February.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Probably going here for a week 27th Jan - 4th February ish. Now, Im going with the wife so cant literally spend all my time taking pictures but would like to know if theres any that people would say are "must have" shots?

Im thinking of
The Callanish stones at sunset / sunrise / milkyway?
some long exposure beach shots?
Maybe an aurora if i get particularly lucky?

All thoughts appreciated.

No midges, which is a plus.

Other classics are the Don Calloway broch and the Black houses (various sites). I’d also add in the light railway company there s a bridge near Carloway. Miles of peat bog, broken down crofts and rusting vehicles although these are not so prevalent now, sheep, Stornoway, and harbour. Look out for signs of religious fundamentalism like things that don’t open on Sunday. Also bear in mind that things don’t open on Sunday. The maddest tennis court in the world (probably more Harris than Lewis). Definitely beaches on the West coast, and Harris beaches.

http://www.mikeandpeggybriggs.co.uk/tennis.htm

Last edited:
I haven't actually tried it myself, but a friend of mine swears by the Photopills app for sorting out things like the milky way and sunrise/sunset stuff. He's a man who religiously avoids paying anything for apps, but he says this was £9.99 well spent. https://www.photopills.com/
Fully agree that the Harris beaches are worth a visit, and they're do-able in a day from Lewis. Remember the days will still be relatively short, so dark by 5pm.

I haven't actually tried it myself, but a friend of mine swears by the Photopills app for sorting out things like the milky way and sunrise/sunset stuff. He's a man who religiously avoids paying anything for apps, but he says this was £9.99 well spent. https://www.photopills.com/
Fully agree that the Harris beaches are worth a visit, and they're do-able in a day from Lewis. Remember the days will still be relatively short, so dark by 5pm.

I've already got the photopills app it is worth the money no doubt. I just wish i had the opportunity to use it more but being so close to london never get any decent milky way shots.

It's probably the wrong time of year for Horizontal Washing, but worth looking out for (in the wind!)

Washing blown horizontal by the wind. It’s a bit of a joke that on the outer islands many will leave their washing out until dry, which might be weeks later!

Agree with the above. If you drive to Harris there are the amazing beaches at Luskentyre and Scarista.

The Photographer's Ephemeris shows the times and directions of rising and setting of the sun - free for PCs and Macs. Stellarium (free to download) will show the night sky for anywhere and almost any time.

The Walk Highlands site is useful if you fancy a walk (anything from a gentle stroll to a day in the hills). It quite handy even if you don't want to walk as each walk is illustrated with a number of photos so you can see what is around.

Have a great time. The Outer Isles are well worth a visit (or more) and as suggested above you might get weather that lets you know you're alive.:)

Dave

Back