Isle of Sheppey Nature Reserve ?

Gremlin

Houdini
Name
Ingrid
Edit My Images
No
Been told that now is a good time to see Raptors at the Isle of Sheppey, Elmley Nature Reserve.
Anyone been there, how accessible is it ?
Week off next week and thinking of going over there

Saw it on the television, the TV made it look like buzzards, hen harriers, marsh harriers etc were everywhere, however it may have taken them a week to film it. Maybe worth look on goggle earth to judge access, it looked very remote on TV.

Saw it on the television, the TV made it look like buzzards, hen harriers, marsh harriers etc were everywhere, however it may have taken them a week to film it. Maybe worth look on goggle earth to judge access, it looked very remote on TV.

Cheers have had a look on Earth, doesn't really give much of an impression, hoped some one local may have been there

I've not been there in a couple of years, but there is a 2 mile drive into the car park which as I remember is small but not to bad on a weekday. You then have a 1 mile walk to the 1st hide along a raised track. It's pretty much one track in, the same track out and the whole area is flat and open. There are birds to be seen on the drive in and along the tracks to the hides but if the winds are blowing in, it can be a job to see them as they will hunkier down.

I've not been there in a couple of years, but there is a 2 mile drive into the car park which as I remember is small but not to bad on a weekday. You then have a 1 mile walk to the 1st hide along a raised track. It's pretty much one track in, the same track out and the whole area is flat and open. There are birds to be seen on the drive in and along the tracks to the hides but if the winds are blowing in, it can be a job to see them as they will hunkier down.

Thanks for that, sounds like my sort of place, will keep an eye on the weather

Hi Ingrid

The official website can be found at https://www.elmleynaturereserve.co.uk/the-reserve-information, it is a National Nature Reserve as in NNR, there is a £5.00 per car entry fee and is it closed every Tuesday.

We have only been there once this year and it was quiet. From the "Top Car Park" you can walk to the hides which we have never done as it is too far for me.

The 2 mile(ish) drive to the top can be very interesting as you can stop the car and photograph, but you must stay in the car.

The website can give you a lot more info.

Directions: From M20 (Coast bound), A249 (North) towards Sheerness until just before the flyover, Do not go over the flyover, turn off just before and use the old A249 and go over the old bridge and turn right about 800 yards after the bridge.

Important info: His & Hers toilets near the NEW top carpark. No Cafe

Thanks @Paul W. H , it really does look worth a visit, thankfully walking isn't a problem and I can take my own drinks.
Thank you for taking the time to reply, much appreciated :)

Hi Ingrid,

It's a fantastic place. I haven't been there for a few months but, as Paul said, it's a long way down from the top car park, unless you dont' mind walking (I don't). I missed out on the walk down last time as my dad came with me and he's blue badge, so we were able to drive down the track to pretty much the first two hides. Once you're at the hides, it's even more open and can easily see Marsh Harriers, Kestrels along with a Peregrine that we saw. SEO's and Barn Owls are meant to be very accommodating there around late afternoon.

Hope this helps a touch (y)

Hi Ingrid,

It's a fantastic place. I haven't been there for a few months but, as Paul said, it's a long way down from the top car park, unless you dont' mind walking (I don't). I missed out on the walk down last time as my dad came with me and he's blue badge, so we were able to drive down the track to pretty much the first two hides. Once you're at the hides, it's even more open and can easily see Marsh Harriers, Kestrels along with a Peregrine that we saw. SEO's and Barn Owls are meant to be very accommodating there around late afternoon.

Hope this helps a touch (y)

Ok that sounds really good, if I don't make t next week it's on the list for later in the year, thank you (y)
Like the sound of the shorties

Ingrid,

If you are near to Sheppey,then I would recommend this RSPB site, easy to find great parking and entry at both Northward hill and Cliffe pools.

Northward starts a bit up and down,but, cliffe is very flat and even across the whole walk,lots of photo points and a good hide with feeding station at the start.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-an...serves-by-name/n/northwardhill/sightings.aspx

No where near Sheppey I'm in west sussex, so about a 2 hour drive.
But I'm not really that into water birds, more the raptor/mammal side, and yeas I do have infinite patience
waiting for them, thanks for the idea but it's a long way from Sheppey

I'm ten minutes from Elmley and visit often just to walk.
Never had to pay a parking charge.
It's a lovely area.
In term of raptors, there's another great area further onto the island, on the road (overstating it's stature) to Harty.

Back