ISS and SpaceX

Tringa

Numpty of the Day'
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Just heard on the Radio 4 that the ISS should be visible close to the Moon at about 9:20 tonight followed by the Space X rocket around 10 minutes later.

Must check it out elsewhere.

Dave

Except the Sun sets (here, at least) at 2111, so the ISS is counted as a daylight pass and may not be visible at all...............
We may, however, see the SpaceX which will track from just north of SW to just south of SE. I say 'may' because it still won't be full dark and at its maximum it will only achieve magnitude -0.3. That's just slightly brighter than Vega in Lyra, if anyone's familiar. Considerably fainter than Venus, Jupiter and the ISS which was mag -3.8 when I saw it last night (roughly on a par with Venus). It achieves maximum brightness more or less passing the Moon but it will pass north of the Moon, not right by it. Look up Crew Dragon on Heavens Above. Put in your location as a lat/long then click on the entry in the list (you need to select 'all passes' to see the first one) and you get a sky chart. HA also shows the ISS and Starlink vermin passes.
I believe the ISS has sparked a few 'UFO sightings' recently...............

Ah well, launch aborted for today (

Seems the launch has been postponed till Saturday

Wouldn't have been visible here anyway. I've just had a message from my brother that it's very cloudy where he is in Hampshire but here the weather's too good. It's like daylight out there.
Same here. Its still like daylight, not a star in sight half an hour after it was supposed to be visible. Makes me wonder if its worth even bothering to go out for a look on Saturday.

Same here. Its still like daylight, not a star in sight half an hour after it was supposed to be visible. Makes me wonder if its worth even bothering to go out for a look on Saturday.

Assuming it does launch on Saturday, although the time is more favourable (2215 where I am) it will be very low (max altitude 17deg up) and faint (max magnitude 2), with Sunday's pass almost identical, so I won't be bothering to look.

Back