weekly It is what it is, Sirching for 52/2016 - 52 - Celebrate

Hell yeah, That is old! Super sharp and we'll executed black background, which contrasts well with the light coral too. Good start

I have to agree with Jason, loving the dep black of the background and how it contrasts with the lightness of the fossil.

Thanks Jason and Tim, the fossils are pretty much grey on grey so bringing out some colour and contrast is a bit of a challenge.

Some good detail in the old fossil. Almost looks like fingers in the stone.

Some good detail in the old fossil. Almost looks like fingers in the stone.

Oooo that's different, looks like an arm, as others liking the good black background and nice detail too, good start to the year Chris :)

Thanks both, my wife has quite a collection so I may shoehorn a few more in during the year

Yep you win the prize for "old" Chris :D

Very nice, plenty of detail in there as well (y)

Hi, nice texture, well lit and an interesting garden find, I know nothing about geology so would probably have not given it a second glance

Looks like an asteroid hurling towards earth...or an elephant's leg and foot :)

Welcome aboard :)

Cheers.

Lovely texture and I love the contrast with the background. There's great detail in the fossil as well.

Well I doubt if anyone will come up with anything older than that Chris :) that goes back to even before dinosaurs. A really excellent choice and nicely lit, it looks great against that stark black background.

Great start Chris. Cracking background and so much detail in the fossil. Really well lit too (y)

Yep you win the prize for "old" Chris :D

Very nice, plenty of detail in there as well (y)

Hi, nice texture, well lit and an interesting garden find, I know nothing about geology so would probably have not given it a second glance

Thanks all, I really appreciate the comments.

Hi Chris. Didn't realise we'd started TP52 2016 !!! Quite a find and very educational (looks like a fossilised forearm - so easily could be mine ... in age that is, not physique) :)

Hi Chris. Didn't realise we'd started TP52 2016 !!! Quite a find and very educational (looks like a fossilised forearm - so easily could be mine ... in age that is, not physique) :)

Yes Cobra snook in a zero, I was a bit surprised! It's interesting what people see, it's not wrinkly enough to be my arm (y)

Last edited:
Yes Cobra snook in a zero,
There have been previous ones, ( while Sarah was running it) and as I had a few requests, from those who were itching to get cracking, I thought I'd better before I had a mutiny on my hands :D

Stunningly sharp shot there Chris, you could cut yourself on the edges in that picture.
The texture of the metal really stands out.

I keep finding myself looking at the green background though, I assume it's a door.
This shot may be a candidate for selective colouring, desaturating the door and then putting the colours back into the rsj.
Or else, the while thing in B&W

Hi, I agree to an extent about the BG the green is a little distracting maybe crop a little more of the right hand side, very sharp edge. both the metal and the focus

Hi Chris. Very sharp detailing of the edge and the ridges of the saw blade. DoF counterbalances nicely too. Can't argue about a theme match :clap:Offered the choice of selective colouring or b&w, I'd go for the latter more because of the industrial nature of the subject.

Stunningly sharp shot there Chris, you could cut yourself on the edges in that picture.
The texture of the metal really stands out.

I keep finding myself looking at the green background though, I assume it's a door.
This shot may be a candidate for selective colouring, desaturating the door and then putting the colours back into the rsj.
Or else, the while thing in B&W

Thanks Tim, it's actually the side of a metal shed, not that that really makes any difference. I'm gonna get in trouble for not getting the washing out of the drier before it got creased and just to prove that this challenge is a real challenge I dusted off my all but non existent photoshop skills and came up with the image below, I hope it goes some way towards what you had in mind

Hi, I agree to an extent about the BG the green is a little distracting maybe crop a little more of the right hand side, very sharp edge. both the metal and the focus
Thanks

Hi Chris. Very sharp detailing of the edge and the ridges of the saw blade. DoF counterbalances nicely too. Can't argue about a theme match :clap:Offered the choice of selective colouring or b&w, I'd go for the latter more because of the industrial nature of the subject.
Well I tried B&W as a quick fix but it obviously lost the colour in the rust and one of the things I was going for was the contrast between the newly ground edge and the rust.

So here is a a stab at Tim's suggestions (I think) hope it's not too amateurish.

2016-01-Metal2 by TheWub, on Flickr

Hi Chris.
Yes, that goes some way but (and this is going to sound like I'm being really picky - and it's only my opinion), if you're going to keep what appears to be brickwork at the bottom in colour, I think the corresponding bit on the right hand side needs to remain in colour too.
Else just keep the rsj in colour.
The 52 is a good way to expand not only your photography experience, but your PP too.
FWIW, I had a quick play. Added a hue/saturation adjustment layer set to 0 saturation, then painted the rsj back in using a quick mask and the brush

Great choice of subject which is really enhanced by showing us the cut edge.
Loads of detail, texture and sharpness crammed into this pic to enjoy.
While the green is distracting, I like it as it's my fav color and contrasts nicely with the rust

Good job on the edit too

The curtain doesn't suit image, great subject, maybe a different angle showing length of RSJ,:)
It's a shed but thanks for the comment

Hi Chris.
Yes, that goes some way but (and this is going to sound like I'm being really picky - and it's only my opinion), if you're going to keep what appears to be brickwork at the bottom in colour, I think the corresponding bit on the right hand side needs to remain in colour too.
Else just keep the rsj in colour.
The 52 is a good way to expand not only your photography experience, but your PP too.
FWIW, I had a quick play. Added a hue/saturation adjustment layer set to 0 saturation, then painted the rsj back in using a quick mask and the brush
Thanks again Tim, I had another play but my PS skills aren't up to it

Great choice of subject which is really enhanced by showing us the cut edge.
Loads of detail, texture and sharpness crammed into this pic to enjoy.
While the green is distracting, I like it as it's my fav color and contrasts nicely with the rust

Good job on the edit too
Thanks Jason

Great detail, and the rust / new metal contrast works for me.
Thanks Clive

Great detail, great photo :)
Thanks Sam

Well I tried B&W as a quick fix but it obviously lost the colour in the rust and one of the things I was going for was the contrast between the newly ground edge and the rust. So here is a a stab at Tim's suggestions (I think) hope it's not too amateurish.
That's fair enough Chris - the contrast would be hard to achieve in b&w. Rust is a very vibrant and rich colour which of course would be lost in b&w. I didn't find the green particularly distracting anyway, the raw edge of the rsj presented a very powerful viewpoint.

Original for me, too. I don't find the green overly distracting tbh and love the detail.

I didn't notice the background as I was enjoying the sharp contrast between the rusty and cut surfaces. It still doesn't bother me, unlike the fact that I'd planned to do this same thing with a piece of rusty pipe and now you've beaten me to it. :mad:

Really excellent ! I prefer the desaturated green but may have gone for the whole hog and done all the brickwork leaving the rust on the beam and the exquisite detailing in the cut face. Having said that I still like the original work!! Well spotted!

Back