Critique It was a rainy day! — Was it worth it?

Kodiak Qc

Suspended / Banned
Name
French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
Edit My Images
Yes

Today was a day off and I went to the marsh:
"You're crazy! …haven't you taken note of the weather?" asked Olivier.
"You're exposing your gear for nothing!" said my older son.

I have the nasty habit of going out when everyone goes in… it is my chance
to see what all those "chickens" will never see!

Last edited:
nice set mate, love the first and second, also like the way them birds stand out against that hazy background on that last one. worth while little venture

Absolutely, for me the last one is the stand out shot

Its due to compression from the smaller file size needed for a direct upload.

Not exactly, IT WAS RAINING TERRIBLY… the apparent noise is zillions
of rain drops frozen in place.

I like the last two so definitely worth the effort ... I understand the arguments in favour of watermarks but I so wish either they weren't there or they were far less obtrusive! :)

…but I so wish either they weren't there or they were far less obtrusive! :)

Right, absolutely!
When I publish the pictures, if I don't want to publish them one by one,
I can see where the watermark will be, at what size, and its transparency.
I have to find a middle value to accommodate all 4 exports. Here, some
were too bright and some others too dark!

2 is my favourite but all are great! Like the idea to go out in the rain and not run away from it!

Love the different impressions of each image. The rain is the common ribbon that interweaves the pictures together and tells the story.

1 & 4 well worth it rain can be really good in photography like the rain drops and I also enjoy reflections from payments more so if street light come on during the day :)
#1 & 2 are my favourites from this set.

Yes, rain is a bit of quiet and solitude!
Tx for dropping by…

Yes, when you go out in questionable conditions, you might not get a shot. When you stay in doors with a book, tv, beer You definitely won't get a shot!!

Glad you went, I enjoyed all of these. Nice varied set with original ideas, nicely composed and processed.

2 is my favourite but all are great! Like the idea to go out in the rain and not run away from it!
Love the different impressions of each image. The rain is the common ribbon that interweaves the pictures together and tells the story.

The boys are swallowing a bitter pill with these comments! Tx.

2 and 4 are great for me. Know what your saying re the watermarks but automated placement leaves the viewer feeling dissapointment as it spoils the experience. Shooting in the rain puts you in the minority, a good place to be in a world jam packed with imagery. Anyway you don't need any CC from me.

Really good photos..I'm with Arthur..(post above this one) 2 &4 especially the greylags..standing there so close clearly thinking about what a lousy day it is. Maybe their duck cousins enjoy it but it doesn't look like they do..so..this is why I like that shot particularly. It's not just two geese in rain..there's something else going on there.

The first shot grabbed my attention as it's so well captured .As for the two people ?...serves them right going fishing in the rain..lol.

Getting out in the rain must be the equivalent of photographing at sunrise..most folks are in bed and don't get the wonderful light..

Would love to see them without the hideous compression artefacts and watermark, the first is a clear winner. I like going out when no one else will too.

1 and 2 for me Kodiak. Very strong images indeed and absolutely love no.2 - has an emotional value to it. Great stuff.

Would love to see them without the hideous compression artefacts and watermark, the first is a clear winner. I like going out when no one else will too.

Agree, now looking at this thread on my MBPR and indeed the compression is high, I mean you don't need any CC from me as the shots do not require it imo. I like them :) But not the compression, they looked fine on the iPad, not looked on my main PC.

I think Nibbley meant that the ducks looked soft?

These Greylag geese are, as one may clearly see, in the band of DoF. If you
consider that taken at a focal length of 400mm, in that rain, a lot of drops stood
between the subject and the sensor… making the whole scene soft and this
softness, granted, is more noticeable where the image is expected to be sharp!

Last edited:

These Greylag geese are, as one may clearly see, in the band of DoF. If you
consider that taken at a focal length of 400mm, in that rain, a lot of drops stood
between the subject and the sensor… making the whole scene soft and this
softness, granted, is more noticeable where the image is expected to be sharp!

I agree with you Kodiak, I can clearly see the band of DoF :)

Just thought that's why others may perceive it as "soft".

Definitely worth it Daniel ! I really like the utter simplicity of the first shot and how the light plays on the center of the frame But for me the last is a stunning image.

I do like how you managed to brighten the day up with a rainbow,;)

take care buddy thanks for posting,

Stu

Nice set Kodiak and well done for braving torrential rain. The thing about conditions like this is, it makes you work much harder to find your images, which is never a bad thing. No.2 my pick.

…The thing about conditions like this is, it makes you work much harder to find your images, which is never a bad thing…

Right! …though I remember rainy days that were so windy…

Back