It's a Lego Marvel...

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
One from the Staff POTY in February...

Done as a frame from a Captain America / S.H.I.E.L.D. comic

(in this case, S.H.I.E.L.D. standing for Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division.)

65 Years on Ice
by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Comments / Critique welcomed...

Last edited:
What did you use for ice?

Er... Ice.

Big Pyrex tray, put 1/8th inch of water in it, and freeze, take it out, drop the Captain in, add enough water to cover him, freeze again.

Prepare the whole set, then nip downstairs to the freezer, remove the pyrex tray. stand it on a teatowel soaked in boiling water. Remove the Iceblock with the captain in it, rush upstairs and shoot the damned thing...

(or that was the plan, but the iceblock fell over, and cracked straight across the bit with Cap' in it - you can see the crack in the picture. So it was back to the freezer, add some more water, re-freeze and pray it stayed together... But as it was a bit delicate, I ended up shooting the iceblock separate to the rest, then compositing in CS5... On the upside, it did allow me to backlight the iceblock as well - so the Captain was a little more distinct through the ice.)

Last edited:
You certainly put lots of work into your shots Mark. Nice work as usual.

You certainly put lots of work into your shots Mark.

Hey, it was for the Staff POTY competition - I'm up against a bunch of really talented people in the Green Team (including quite a few who earn a crust with the camera) so my only chance is to try a bit harder and hope sweat and graft makes up for lack of talent ;)

Nice work as usual.

Thanks - I quite liked this one - didn't get quite the reception i'd hoped for in the voting - i'm guessing people maybe thought it was starting to cross more into "digital art" than just a straight photo... who knows.

Thanks - I quite liked this one - didn't get quite the reception i'd hoped for in the voting - i'm guessing people maybe thought it was starting to cross more into "digital art" than just a straight photo... who knows.
I know the feeling Mark, you take a shot thinking it will get a good response, and then when posted it's a luke-warm reception. I guess it's a case of on and upwards. looking for that elusive shot. I still think your avatar shot from a couple of years ago is just the most stunning photo I have seen.

I still think your avatar shot from a couple of years ago is just the most stunning photo I have seen.

If you mean the current one, strangely enough that was shot for the November 2011 POTY competition and only got something like half a dozen votes... I think people were getting sick of all the still lifes with skulls in them by that point in the year ;)

Excellent ! I like the crack looks like he's trying to escape.. for some reason it makes me think of Arctic roll !

Well I wasn't.

Thanks Rob, I'm not about to stop posting them - there's a large box of props that I haven't recouped the expenditure on yet, so I've got to keep going until I get something good enough that it sells...

great work!

Like this, very good.

Cheers Folks - I have to admit I enjoyed it, even with the frustrations of ending up having to composite the shot...

Excellent ! I like the crack looks like he's trying to escape.. for some reason it makes me think of Arctic roll !

It actually took his arm off when the ice cracked, so I doubt he'd have got too far...

And as to it making you think of Arctic Roll... there's a logical explaination for that...

You're Barking Mad! :LOL:

Thanks Rob, I'm not about to stop posting them - there's a large box of props that I haven't recouped the expenditure on yet, so I've got to keep going until I get something good enough that it sells...

Cheers Folks - I have to admit I enjoyed it, even with the frustrations of ending up having to composite the shot...

It actually took his arm off when the ice cracked, so I doubt he'd have got too far...

And as to it making you think of Arctic Roll... there's a logical explaination for that...

You're Barking Mad! :LOL:
LoL I've been rumbled ! I do have a nice jacket that ties up at the back mmmm arctic roll

Back