Critique Its been a while

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Its been a while since i have posted on here and learnt lots over the year or so. I've also come to the conclusion that not every photo is going to be perfect and that I can learn something every day. Whether that's to appreciate the shadows or get my f stops right!
i was reluctant to post here as the standard is so good but i will never better myself and always live in the glory of those that cant rather than those that can.
I'm mad on BW but i'll post some of each.
Me my daughter wife and sonnew one by , on Flickr
new one by nuzik - , on Flickr

DSC_3669 by y, on Flickr
DSC_1250 by , on Flickr
DSC_2624 by , on Flickr

Last edited:
Hiya. "Morning"

Good photos for me too. You clearly know what your doing ;-)

1. Really like the soft transition of light here along with your "Johnny Depp" contemplative look !
2. This is my fave as I like the depth you acheive with foreground/background blur, slight shame the sun was not a touch lower to acheive a bit more light from the back. I,m not sure it would be any better as I am no expert.
3. Good idea to try a different view point.
4. Well exspression is everything and you got one here.

Well done.

Gaz

thank you guys, the 2nd one was badly planned with regards to the time of the day it was taken. Sun was at its highest, really needed to be there 3 hours before or later. Will be going back to try it again though.
Thanks for the kind words guys

Ok my critique given my tastes and limited knowledge...

1. Not a massive fan of this one to be honest, the expression reads more as bored than contemplative to me. Also the pose has the shoulders really spread which makes your body look really wide in comparison to your head and coupled with the space above your head it all draws away focus. The whole image seems a bit flat and underexposed, I like the shadows being dark but the midtones in the lit areas are really dark as well and there's very little light in the eyes. There's also a lot of reds in the whole image white balance seems quite off and the skin tones read very red throughout the tonal range. I'd crop in tighter and fix the colours and exposure, I had a play with it in PS but you've set not to edit images so let me know if you'd be interested in it.

2. Great shot, yeah the light is a bit higher than perfect but sometimes you just have to work with whats there. The focus is bang on the near eye, the out of focus flowers in the front add depth and you've captured your daughter in a great pose. Given how bright it looks you've balanced the exposure well imo.

3. It's a good photo the colours seem to be shifting towards red again and there's a bit much light on the front hand in comparison to the face but overall its a nice image. I'm usually not a fan of washed out images but for this I feel like I'd like to see it with the contrast softened a wee bit to play in to the dreamy picture.

4. Really nice again, I thought it looked wider than a 50mm at first but either way up close works for the subject and its a cracking expression. Reminds me of the captioned pictures on a birthday cards. Processing works really well for a wee one.

looking at your images exif on flickr I notice you're exporting the images as adobe rgb rather than srgb and wonder if this might be contributing to the colour shifts?

Last edited:
Hi Craig, thanks for the feedback. Really good to get some CC on it. I'll reply to them and maybe you could help out a little more.

1- Personally like the jacket but its a fair point what you say. The reds are a little high now you mention it but was a long day yesyterday no excuse. Was more the lighting i was trying. You may see i kind of like the underexposed or over exposed looks (if you have seen my flickr) but as i say perfectly valid points and bringing it up probably would of helped. I am trying to get some mood lighting going as i have struggled with it in the passed and feel that its an area i would like to go. I look moody its a crap pose but i spent 12 hours at work and wanted to take some photos and only had myself. PM me your email or something and i'll add it to drob box you can have a play. (currently on another 12 hour shift so will do it when i am home).

2. Thanks the hair is a little OTT with the light but live and learn about time don't you. Thanks for the kind words.

3. Im wondering now if its my monitor that is out or i just like the colours. Yeah just got picked up on the light, i never noticed until i was told earlier. Good point. Ooo a dreamy one could be worth a go, interesting view point and one to look at i feel now

4. thanks it was one where you take half a dozen shots of the standard stuff, snuck down a ltitle and then he started to spring into life. Great timing i feel. I liked the black and white as well. thank you.

Oh that could be the case at the end i have read about RGB and sRGB before but not looked too deeply into it. I will look tonight and change my photoshop occordingly.

Thanks
Nuzik

great stuff, looks like youre having fun which is the most important thing imo. second one is great, but i think it could do with more space around the subject. the depth and angle and expression is lovely, but i feel its a little cramped.

seriously dont worry about parts being overexposed/wrong time of day. you need to expose for the face of course, anything else that might be overexposed is a natural result. for me its lovely.

Thanks Ross, trying to get it all right and the perfect photo is where i want to be at. Sometimes its not possible but planning should be key for me rather than some lazy sod.
Hindsight i should have used a 50mm rather than the 85mm but i love the 85mm lens i find its perfect for pretty much all occasions and yes i use it far too much even for landscapes and street photography :)

Back