It's That Numpty Time Again - Who is up for it?

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Following several mentions of this, I have decided to get this one running again this year. Some of you will know exactly what I am talking about, some of you will have noticed and wondered why @RaglanSurf has his user title, some of you will be running a mile as soon as you read on. :D

Just how good are you as a photographer? How addicted are you to all those buttons and twiddly bits on your digital cameras? Worse, can you not live without the pleasures of Photoshop, Lightroom, or other editing program of choice? Call yourself a photographer? There have been many arguments over the years about whether a good photo is the photographer or the camera - this fun challenge is about making it all about the numpty behind the lens. Want to have go? read on to see what you have to do.

Step 1 - buy yourself a one use/disposable camera [plenty available online or in supermarkets, Boots, etc]

Step 2 - take some photos - no buttons or dials, just you and a plastic box with some film in it

Step 3 - drop them in at snappy snaps, or send to somewhere like Peak Imaging to be developed and scanned to disk

Step 4 - post your best efforts in the thread I will create in a few weeks time

Step 5 - await the outcome of the member poll to see if you can be voted the forums Best Numpty

Simple or what!

Ok, there are a couple of rules behind the challenge

1 - NO EDITING or POST PROCESSING other than scanning to digital and resize for web. This includes no straightening, cropping etc, it must be as it came out of camera.

2 - It must be a simple one use camera, not an old film camera or anything else that can be used again

3 - if you want to muck around with sticking sunglasses lenses, toffee wrappers or anything else over the lens for special effects, go right ahead, but it must be done as part of taking the photo, NOT added afterwards.

4 - yes, you may use some of the more funky one use cameras available, so for example, under water versions or Rollei Crossbird, etc etc

To allow everyone as much time as possible, I am going to start this challenge effectively from today and allow you 5 weeks to get you camera, take your pictures and get them sorted and posted. To also increase your chances of winning, I am also going to allow everyone who enters to post up THREE photos for the poll, rather than the single image of previous years. So, you have until Sunday 27th September to submit your photos.

This is a FUN challenge, so no prizes, other than a nice user title, but please feel free to post your hints and tips and share your experiences in this thread. As previous entrants will tell you, it is actually quite a challenge to get a good photo from these cameras - in fact it's quite a challenge just getting photos without a finger in them :LOL:

In a couple of weeks I will post a thread for you to start adding your photos to.

Good luck everyone, and remember, this is for fun, it's about seeing how good your photographers eye is and how well you can cope when you can't twiddle and fiddle with camera or editing programs. Go get those cameras!! :D

Last edited:
I might still have a Renault emergency disposable in the s***box - will need using if I have!

Reactions: Yv
Think I still have one from last year.... Hopefully this will be the kick up the bum I've been needing for the last few months :)

Ok I will give this another go maybe get a decent shot this year :confused:

Think I still have one from last year.... Hopefully this will be the kick up the bum I've been needing for the last few months :)

Ok I will give this another go maybe get a decent shot this year :confused:

Excellent, will look forward to pictures from you both, even if I do have visions of Bryn wondering around a meadow armed with a one shot Kodak, a sugar water mist spray and a magnifying glass :LOL:

Excellent, will look forward to pictures from you both, even if I do have visions of Bryn wondering around a meadow armed with a one shot Kodak, a sugar water mist spray and a magnifying glass :LOL:

This is my once a year chance to get away from Macro :D

I take it that cutting the lens out of a disposable and shoving something better on isn't permitted??? ;) Actually, that's fart oo much effort!!!

Sounds fun. Just read a review on a certain high street chemist's site where a person claimed that 4 out of 6 cameras failed and of the others only some 4 to 7 photos were sucessful! I'm used to those sort of odds so I'm in!

I see that there is an HP5 disposable - does that have to go to Ilford ( if you don't want to tackle yourself)?

Sounds fun. Just read a review on a certain high street chemist's site where a person claimed that 4 out of 6 cameras failed and of the others only some 4 to 7 photos were sucessful! I'm used to those sort of odds so I'm in!

I see that there is an HP5 disposable - does that have to go to Ilford ( if you don't want to tackle yourself)?

Nope, you can send to places like Peak Imaging or AG photographic to name just two who will dev for you. I have even had them done on the high street, via Snappy Snaps

Ooooh go on then...

So, looks like Ilford make one with XP2 and one with HP5+. The XP2 one can be processed anywhere these days (it's a "C41" black and white film) including some ASDA's where dev and print will probably cost you £3, done while you shop! HP5+ is the more traditional black and white, which is, annoyingly, harder to get processed. As noted, Peak and AG Photographic will do it, but Boots, Snappy etc will probably send it away. F&C has a thread on Film Developing in the UK, including a handy price estimator that gives you at least an idea. Just treat it as a roll of 35mm film for a basic idea of costs, but don't forget to do a proper check before committing...

BTW, I'll be in, cheaper this year if I get a HP5+ one since I've started to dev my own 35mm!

If I were to choose the HP5 are the canisters/cameras easy to crack open if I wanted to dev the film myself?

You can buy the ilford ones processed paid. I ordered mine direct from Harman.

Think I'll try this.... I lack the knowledge and means to self-develop though. Open to recommendations as to what to buy. Also does anyone have a link to last year's thread so I can see what the quality was like?

Edit - found the thread. :)

Last edited:
Better pop in an see my mates in F&C for a reminder on how to take those things apart in a changing bag at some point :D

You shouldn't have to use a changing bag. The usual way these things work is that the film's already wound out and when you wind on, you're winding it back into the canister. Pop the shell open and you'll have a roll to take out, there's usually a little door to remove the film.

If you do take the camera apart and your camera has a flash, be careful because the flash circuit can still give a fair old wallop if you touch it in the wrong place.

And I'm in, I have a B&W camera that I didn't use for last year's challenge. :)

You shouldn't have to use a changing bag. The usual way these things work is that the film's already wound out and when you wind on, you're winding it back into the canister. Pop the shell open and you'll have a roll to take out, there's usually a little door to remove the film.

If you do take the camera apart and your camera has a flash, be careful because the flash circuit can still give a fair old wallop if you touch it in the wrong place.

And I'm in, I have a B&W camera that I didn't use for last year's challenge. :)

Cool, thats useful to know. I do remember reading the thing about the flash the first year we did this, so will be very careful about that. Thanks Dean. (y)

Is "the wrong place" obvious? Ie, if I open the back and reach in to remove the canister with reasonable care, am I likely to get shocked?

Also... I'm guessing the leader is still left out, as IIRC it just wouldn't wind on. Is that the case, or will I be fishing for the leader?

This sounds interesting - particularly the Ilford B&W. Might give this a go!

Might be a daft question, but I assume disposable cameras have a fixed shutter speed rather than some clever metering mechanism?

Is "the wrong place" obvious? Ie, if I open the back and reach in to remove the canister with reasonable care, am I likely to get shocked?

Basically don't touch anything that looks like a circuit and you'll be ok. It's the capacitor that stores the power for the flash that's the problem, you should be able to get the film out without cracking open the case, or at least you can on all the one-use cameras I've tried.

Also... I'm guessing the leader is still left out, as IIRC it just wouldn't wind on. Is that the case, or will I be fishing for the leader?

You'll be fishing unless you stop winding on after the last frame.

Might be a daft question, but I assume disposable cameras have a fixed shutter speed rather than some clever metering mechanism?

Yes. You should be able to find a data sheet for your camera that'll tell you what it is. For example, the Fuji QuickSnap Superia uses ISO800 film with a fixed aperture of f/10 and a shutter speed of 1/140s as shown here.

Here are a couple of snaps of one of my cameras from the first year we did this. Purchased from the local 99p store.

20120930_222805.jpg

20120930_222821.jpg

It's a re-used Kodak shell with an unknown Chinese film. IIRC there were only 12 shots on the film and the flash gave up after 3 shots, presumably the battery should be changed when it's reloaded. You can see the film canister door on the left-hand side of the second shot. I assume that the film winder on the right was for winding the film out of the canister when it was being loaded; it certainly didn't do anything for winding on.

For the sake of safety though, check that whatever camera you buy works the same way as these before you crack it open - there's always the possibility that you've bought the one camera which doesn't work that way! :)

Best price I'm getting for the Ilford HP5+ one is the local Boots; at £8.99 it's the same as most other places, but has a buy-one-get-one-half-price deal as well.

First Call Photographic have a Rollei B&W for £5.92, but their postage charge is £7.99 so only worth while if you're near Taunton. Otherwise it's £8.91 from Amabademployer.co.uk...

Yes. You should be able to find a data sheet for your camera that'll tell you what it is. For example, the Fuji QuickSnap Superia uses ISO800 film with a fixed aperture of f/10 and a shutter speed of 1/140s as shown here.
Thanks! I think I now understand why wedding reception disposable cameras usually look so poor... Will be massively underexposed.

How much over or under exposure is recoverable in processing from say Ilford HP5 film?

I definitely won't be developing my own - I have no clue how to do this. Should I still get the the HP5 that is being talked about so much here or does it not matter if I've getting it developed in a lab?

Was just about to post the same link!

So do people use a light meter to check exposure is going to be in the ballpark or just shoot and hope?

Oh just shoot and hope, this is about having some fun, not getting too technical and caught up in that kind of thing. As long as you have some light to work with, gerronwivit, stop over thinking ;)

I definitely won't be developing my own - I have no clue how to do this. Should I still get the the HP5 that is being talked about so much here or does it not matter if I've getting it developed in a lab?

Get whatever you fancy, b&w, colour, anything if you are having them done at a lab anyway. We are only talking about it in reference to those of us that already do B&W deving from our film cameras ;)

Oh just shoot and hope, this is about having some fun, not getting too technical and caught up in that kind of thing. As long as you have some light to work with, gerronwivit, stop over thinking

Fair enough! Camera ordered!

We have one disposable camera in the kitchen cupboard ..... I'm in!

How much over or under exposure is recoverable in processing from say Ilford HP5 film?

HP5+ should give results recoverable in scanning with something like 5 stops over exposed or 2 stops under exposed, possibly a little more. The colour negative ones have fairly similar latitude, maybe slightly less. Over exposure doesn't "overload" the sensor in the same way as digital; the whole negative gets denser, but with a good scanner a great deal can be recovered right across the scene. Of course you can still lose highlight detail, particularly with a basic scan.

Anyway, like @Yv says, just pick one and shoot it off. I've done colour ones the past two years, may try b&w this year just because I've started home devving...

Back