Izzy studio test

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, first outing for my gridded softbox. Wanted to play with a different style of lighting from "conventional" baby/toddler shots, so went for a black backdrop and much greater contrast. I also decided to opt for side lighting rather than the easier-way-out of big flat lighting from the front.

I've used the softbox before but it really seems to come into its own with such a small subject - it's about 1.5x her height, so gives lots of scope for lighting the area. It is, however, the first time I've attached the grid and although these shots aren't great examples, I do love the quality of light it throws out - seems very different from ungridded although maybe that's just using the softbox on such a small subject?

I realise shots need quite a bit of work on light placement and I could have done with dialling down the strobe by maybe half a stop in the first (corrected in post with the hightlights slider) and probably the reverse in the second (or just better light placement), but as a first attempt they'll give me some opportunity to receive crit at least :)

Tips and suggestions most welcome (aside from model placement - for an 18 month old, it's kinda random and unpredictable!)

Just two from the half a dozen I shot...

Izzy studio test 2
by pjm1 (Paul), on Flickr

Looking tired!
by pjm1 (Paul), on Flickr

Cheers in advance. My favourite is the first by a big margin - she just looks shattered in the second and the lighting isn't very complimentary.

Edited to add: softbox placed frame left although it's a 120cm x 90cm box so isn't really 90 degree lighting given the spill (even gridded). 3m backdrop and there's a large white reflector just off frame right bouncing a bit of light back. No touching up of the blackdrop so the grid definitely seems to be doing its thing...

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer the 2nd shot, due to the eye contact and the lovely wee smile :)

Would be tempted, to see how it looks, cropped in tighter to her head and shoulders.

Hey Paul
I'm a big fan of grids. I use them most of the time on a large octa. But I tend not to use them so much if I've got a child I can't superglue down in place. :) Because the light is so directional, it's easy for your target to move themselves out of the effective range of it. When you get it right though... POW! I think they're an absolute must for any portrait photographer! I won't comment on the photos above, because you know yourself that the light isn't falling where it should be. I will say however you won't regret having them in your arsenal. Personally, when I'm doing small moving objects (such as 18 mth - 3 year olds that can't be bribed), I don't even bother with the grids unless they're sleeping.

She's a real cutie though!

Thanks @johnnypanic and @sunnyside_up - the comments and encouragement are appreciated.

I was surprised at how effective the grids are at constraining the light - bloomin' useful! As you say Bethy, it's probably not ideal for toddlers but those of us learning have to experiment and learn from mistakes especially :)

I'm going to persevere though... "modelling" time with her is free and fun and as long as she's in a good mood and I'm not working too hard, there's no reason not to have a go. Her bigger brother (nearly 4) is much more compliant so would make sense to start with him, but I don't like to make things easy for myself!

Thanks @johnnypanic and @sunnyside_up - the comments and encouragement are appreciated.

I was surprised at how effective the grids are at constraining the light - bloomin' useful! As you say Bethy, it's probably not ideal for toddlers but those of us learning have to experiment and learn from mistakes especially :)

I'm going to persevere though... "modelling" time with her is free and fun and as long as she's in a good mood and I'm not working too hard, there's no reason not to have a go. Her bigger brother (nearly 4) is much more compliant so would make sense to start with him, but I don't like to make things easy for myself!

You'll find yourself using them more and more I bet! :)

I prefer the first. The thing that stood out to me when i first looked at them was the label on the bear in the second. I'd clone it out.

Grids are excellent, i was amazed when i first used them and haven't been off since.

Keep at it mate. :)

Back