Jabba The Hut & More from the Bank Holiday

Pooing and eating what skill that larvae has... superbly shot though mate.

Great variety on the hoppers. Would say #1 in that set is a leaf hopper but what ???

#3 is quite common in my garden and sure Icy has ID previously though not noted it :(

Weevil and dung fly win it for me.

Cheers Bryn, it's bloody gross that larvae!!!

Was especially pleased with the Weevil as I shot it at F16 just to test how sharp it would be at that aperture! Yes there was a little diffraction but not as much as I thought there would be, the Tammy 60mm is quickly becoming my favourite lens!

Oh man that oil beetle larvae is one ugly mother, still you did the best for him you could :)

The detail in all of these is absolutely stunning Neil especially on 4 and 5.

We have some amazing macro photographers on here who reveal parts of nature most of us never get to see in such detail and I for one am grateful.

Oh man that oil beetle larvae is one ugly mother, still you did the best for him you could :)
The detail in all of these is absolutely stunning Neil especially on 4 and 5.
We have some amazing macro photographers on here who reveal parts of nature most of us never get to see in such detail and I for one am grateful.

Thanks Steve, much appreciated!

Wow these are "Excellent" Neil, #4, #5, just about edges it for me.(y)

George.

OMG Neil!
These are BRILLIANT - I am definitely gonna have to try harder but insects seem to avoid me for some reason :D
That Tamron seems to be excellent!
Thanks Peter, just takes a lot of patience! Missed so many new species this weekend, most of them either jump off to fly away just as I was about to shoot, it's frustrating but thats the nature of insect macro.

Did you use a tripod or just handheld?
Handheld at 1/250s F11

Last edited:
These are amazing, as I kept scrolling down i was saying to myself "that's the best one....oh no wait that one...." and so on.
Really got to give this a go, I wonder what the success rate is of approaching an insect before it zips away? Are ninja like stealth skills required?

These are amazing, as I kept scrolling down i was saying to myself "that's the best one....oh no wait that one...." and so on.
Really got to give this a go, I wonder what the success rate is of approaching an insect before it zips away? Are ninja like stealth skills required?
Thanks James!

It does require a lot of patience and can be very frustrating, but thats the challenge and I find it very enjoyable and rewarding.

What a great set Neil:)

No.8 is a treehopper - Centrotus cornutus (not 100% sure but definitely is a treehopper),I have never seen one before that it's top of my wanted list!!! So cute and pretty;)

The 2nd last one is a planthopper, could be a Javesella dubia.

No idea of the last one but it is also a planthopper. No.2 is a plantbug - Stenodema laevigata.

Great found and I am so jealous:p

Too right :)

What a great set Neil:)

No.8 is a treehopper - Centrotus cornutus (not 100% sure but definitely is a treehopper),I have never seen one before that it's top of my wanted list!!! So cute and pretty;)

The 2nd last one is a planthopper, could be a Javesella dubia.

No idea of the last one but it is also a planthopper. No.2 is a plantbug - Stenodema laevigata.

Great found and I am so jealous:p

Thanks Icy, I've seen 3 of those tree hoppers now and they are a pain to shoot! I had one on my T-shirt last week but it jumped as soon as it saw the lens, also another on a wooden fence but it just kept moving out of view every time the lens got close. I really want a portrait of one now but this is going to prove very difficult!!!

1st one on the 2nd set is a buffalo bug or something, look on my Flickr for a ID.

Thanks Icy, I've seen 3 of those tree hoppers now and they are a pain to shoot! I had one on my T-shirt last week but it jumped as soon as it saw the lens, also another on a wooden fence but it just kept moving out of view every time the lens got close. I really want a portrait of one now but this is going to prove very difficult!!!

Oh now you make me more jealous as you have seen 3 times:p but you got it this time, clear detail and sharp focus(y)

Neil
The quality of these is simply stunning and they should be viewed large on Flickr for usre.

Hey there.

My wife and I have just spent an enjoyable fifteen minutes studying your Flickr portfolio - lots of "oohs" and "wows" from my wife who loves many of your beach landscapes... "Like another world", she said.

I particularly like many of your macro critter shots which inspire me, whilst your landscape shots often have the ability to touch me emotionally, and have me looking forward to our annual holiday to Weymouth later in the year. Top notch.:)

Hey there.

My wife and I have just spent an enjoyable fifteen minutes studying your Flickr portfolio - lots of "oohs" and "wows" from my wife who loves many of your beach landscapes... "Like another world", she said.

I particularly like many of your macro critter shots which inspire me, whilst your landscape shots often have the ability to touch me emotionally, and have me looking forward to our annual holiday to Weymouth later in the year. Top notch.:)

Very kind of you mark

Wonderful set Neil
I've not seen anything like that larva before really weird but its a superb shot lighting looks good too

Back