Jackdaw with a .....?

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Whilst waiting to photograph the Kingfisher again today (no show :( ) I spotted this Jackdaw across the other side of the pond, he had something which looked initially like a caterpillar but I am not sure if it is ... anyone any idea?

Jackdaw.jpg

Fairly sure it is a caterpillar and the bird is holding it by the head end with the pairs of legs-one pair per segment- using towards the bird. Probably a moth species but not sure which one.

Regen

Fairly sure it is a caterpillar and the bird is holding it by the head end with the pairs of legs-one pair per segment- using towards the bird. Probably a moth species but not sure which one.

Regen

Thank you, I'm not really up on my caterpillars :)

Hi gramps great shot and catch it looks to me it's a hawk moth caterpillar m8? Great stuff been waiting for them up here

Thanks Kev, it was certainly a big'un :)

cruso said:
Hi gramps great shot and catch it looks to me it's a hawk moth caterpillar m8? Great stuff been waiting for them up here

All hawk moth caterpillars have a hook on the tail. Most likely a noctuid probably a yellow underwing moth whose caterpillars are upto 3.5 to 4 cms long and known as cutworms because they cut through veg plants at ground level. They also live in base of grass where jackdaws frequently hunt.

Regen

Great shot, I love Jackdaws (y)

Back