Jag Diesel in trouble

The all electric I Pace goes on sale around now too and that should be delivered this year, September on from what I have gathered. Biggest market segment is now the SUV one.

Vauxhall have just put all their dealers on notice so all is not rosey generally.

dunno if I can see jag selling as many of those as they do there Essex white rangeys

• The all-electric Jaguar I-Pace will cost from £58,995 to £76,995 and is about to go on sale

I was having a look at some of the Land Rover range as I need to get a new car this month but after reading up the owner reviews it seems like reliability is still a huge problem never mind the difficulty with finding a petrol. A lot of people seem to regret buying one because of repair and maintenance costs despite the "luxury" appeal. Personally I've always found people looked cramped in them when I pass by.

I was having a look at some of the Land Rover range as I need to get a new car this month but after reading up the owner reviews it seems like reliability is still a huge problem never mind the difficulty with finding a petrol. A lot of people seem to regret buying one because of repair and maintenance costs despite the "luxury" appeal. Personally I've always found people looked cramped in them when I pass by.

reckon there will be some silly cheap leasing deals soon as they fight to keep the production lines going.

yet most other manufactures have had them in their line up for years, announcing and promising are not delivering are they?
But to have them by 2020 some will already be developed and the rest finalising development. The fact that they had in recent years increased their sales without them proves they hadn't needed them nor had there really been a market for them. Development programmes can take 4yrs so as pointed out if the i-Pace is launching this year, it will have been in development for a number of years already.

How exactly are the emisions calculated, is it per mile/km traveled or per gallon/ltr consumed, do they take into account the greater fuel efficiency of a diesel engine?

How exactly are the emisions calculated, is it per mile/km traveled or per gallon/ltr consumed, do they take into account the greater fuel efficiency of a diesel engine?
It's amount over distance. So even though diesels are more economical they still produce more Nox over the same distance. But in a similar fashion they produce less CO2 than an equivalent petrol.

Vauxhall have just put all their dealers on notice so all is not rosey generally.
Vauxhall have been struggling for years. Although they have some models that sell well, they haven't made a profit since 2009. Hence why GM were so desperate to offload them. Now owned by Peugeot, they are trying to save as much money as possible wherever they can. The fact that new car sales are currently declining is going to make it a lot harder for them.

its not about nox though as has been said a zillion times.
the main pollution that diesels produce and which kills kids and nackers the lungs is particulates, soot

plenty of cars out there to buy that are not as polluting as jags and land rovers though? So its hardly knee jerk.
People are not buying diesel because they have actually realised its awful for the environment.
Jag and land rover make 90% of there vehicles with a diesel engine so they will suffer much more than other car companies over the years.

They have also not developed hybrid solutions like other major car companies.
I wouldn't be surprised if they will be in trouble in 12 months.

Id wager people aren't buying diesel because of suspected tax hikes, not the environment.

Id wager people aren't buying diesel because of suspected tax hikes, not the environment.

oh I am absolutely sure the reason the awful black oil fuel has caught on so much over the years was always about the bottom line and money.
people could have a big heavy car and it still be reasonable to run on fuel.

oh I am absolutely sure the reason the awful black oil fuel has caught on so much over the years was always about the bottom line and money.
And it was the government's love child.

Not necessarily about having a big heavy car either.

its not about nox though as has been said a zillion times.
the main pollution that diesels produce and which kills kids and nackers the lungs is particulates, soot
You are wrong. It is Nox which causes respiratory problems. Particulates cause cancer. But on modern diesel engines particulates are reduced by the DPF and Nox emissions are reduced by EGR systems.
The system being developed at Loughborough University will make the systems even cleaner as the system will also work at lower temperatures.

Diesel isn't going away any time soon. It would take a massive shift in the whole car market and infrastructure of the country. Every tractor, bus, truck, black cab, van, heavy plant, ferry and ship will need to be replaced. And that will take many decades. On shipping alone, it produces the most pollution much much more then planes.

But don't get me wrong, we need to make a shift to more renewable and sustainable forms of transport. But we also need a mind shift away from personal transport, congestion is such a massive issue that people forget is a big factor is air quality.

Diesel isn't going away any time soon. It would take a massive shift in the whole car market and infrastructure of the country. Every tractor, bus, truck, black cab, van, heavy plant, ferry and ship will need to be replaced. And that will take many decades. On shipping alone, it produces the most pollution much much more then planes.

But don't get me wrong, we need to make a shift to more renewable and sustainable forms of transport. But we also need a mind shift away from personal transport, congestion is such a massive issue that people forget is a big factor is air quality.

How about horses? ;) :D

I bought mine because of the torque of the engine rather than some screaming turbo charged petrol engined thing with a narrow power band and tbh I fall into the category of "my small contribution by getting shot of my diesel wont matter a jot by comparison to Lorries, Jet Engines or Ships or the pollution the third word is creating"category. Mind I do have 2 other petrol engined vehicles, so not all my motoring is by diesel and as I live on a busy main road the emissions from everyone else's vehicles will probably kill me before I kill them.

Back