Jagged Edge

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Jagged Edge
Hartland Quay, Devon UK

The slippery and dangerous jagged teeth like rock formations is a real beauty on this place.
Combine with strong waves and being situated in the South West coast, this place is perfect spot for a sunset shoot, though it took me three trips to have this shot.
Nikon D810 + Nikkor 16-35 f4 with Progrey Reverse ND Grad + ND filter​

That's pretty spectacular, and there are some lovely tones in the rocks. Not too much of the smooth water effect, either!;)
I would probably crop to remove the people and fence top l.h. corner. They might give the image a sense of scale but stuck up there at the corner of the frame they are quite distorted. If you like the couple, maybe it would be worth trying lens distortion tools, if you have them?

A crop at the top would also help to remove the jet trail in the centre.

That's pretty spectacular, and there are some lovely tones in the rocks. Not too much of the smooth water effect, either!;)
+1
I would probably crop to remove the people and fence top l.h. corner. They might give the image a sense of scale but stuck up there at the corner of the frame they are quite distorted. If you like the couple, maybe it would be worth trying lens distortion tools, if you have them?
My suggestion is to keystone the frame, that should take care of it.
A crop at the top would also help to remove the jet trail in the centre.
I would recommend to heal them away!

Very dramatic photo. Agree with the ridding of the people.

Jet trail assists I think, (if it is a jet trail)

Every sailors nightmare though.................

Lovely picture John, I'm undecided about the people, on one hand the add a sense of scale and added interest to picture on the other if they are removed then it becomes simple a dramatic sea scape,-- what was your thinking behined it?

Geoff

Gorgeous golden colour and light.
I've come back to view this on a number of occasions, and like it more each time

Lovely shot but I would also lose the people- wasn't sure if it was a jet trail or water on the filter

Fantastic image, love the colour on those rocks. What a great location, I'm sure you'll be visiting again too. Agree with the above comments re: the jet trail (?) but I quite like the people in there. Maybe fixing the distortion as has been suggested. It's a stunner regardless!

I think the image is really good.
Incidentally, the jet trail directly follows a diagonal line that runs through two sets of rocks - so adds to the interest.

Great Image John I remember going there one year... was a fab place.

The light on the rocks is superb, great textures there. Also nice to see a non milky water seascape! The only downsides for me are the people in the top left and the blown out patch above the sun. I think you can crop from the top to remove the people and clone that patch of sky. Nice work though

Thank a lot guys for your notes and comments. I included the people on the frame in purpose, to add bit of scale. And yes, its a jet trail :)

A very nice image, I agree with above, those people need to go, I am in two minds over the jet trial, cropping to get rid of it might loose some atmosphere in the shot

Robin

A very nice image, I agree with above, those people need to go, I am in two minds over the jet trial, cropping to get rid of it might loose some atmosphere in the shot

Robin

Noted on that one. Thanks Robin! :)

… what do you mean by "keystone the frame" ?

Normally, one will want to keystone a building but there are no vertical straight lines
in your frame. So ignore this fact and work on the whole framed image!
Here, not a single pixel was lost and you may crop as you please!

Jagged%20Edge%202.jpg

Very nice shot John I love the light on the rocks.

I rather like the jet trail effect. It's like a bolt of lightning striking the rock. It makes the photo surreal.

Normally, one will want to keystone a building but there are no vertical straight lines
in your frame. So ignore this fact and work on the whole framed image!
Here, not a single pixel was lost and you may crop as you please!

Jagged%20Edge%202.jpg

Very nice shot John I love the light on the rocks.

I rather like the jet trail effect. It's like a bolt of lightning striking the rock. It makes the photo surreal.

Cheers to all! :D

Its a good image but grads have helped for the sky but not the distant rock. The foreground is well exposed but the higher sections of rock are black which seems odd. There is also some chromatic abberations (green fringing) near some rocks, quick fix the c/a but the adverse effects of the use of filters...less so

It is a gorgeous image overall, but I agree about the people being better gone.
In the same area there's a halo along the rock line along the sky there, and it does draw the eye.
I know I harp on about halos, but IMO they ruin images and are pretty easily avoided or removed.

The foreground rocks / water / light in your image are just fabulous.

Leave people alone ;) , I like them up there right in the corner, I was impressed by whole drama of the scene (it's great image) and then spotted this couple which to me is like a cherry on top of cake, I would definitely apply a lens correction to prevent them from tripping on their backs plus this tiny white edge between sky and rock (I believe that is remaining from sharpening ) otherwise it's a proper landscape

Its a good image but grads have helped for the sky but not the distant rock. The foreground is well exposed but the higher sections of rock are black which seems odd. There is also some chromatic abberations (green fringing) near some rocks, quick fix the c/a but the adverse effects of the use of filters...less so

It is a gorgeous image overall, but I agree about the people being better gone.
In the same area there's a halo along the rock line along the sky there, and it does draw the eye.
I know I harp on about halos, but IMO they ruin images and are pretty easily avoided or removed.

The foreground rocks / water / light in your image are just fabulous.

Leave people alone ;) , I like them up there right in the corner, I was impressed by whole drama of the scene (it's great image) and then spotted this couple which to me is like a cherry on top of cake, I would definitely apply a lens correction to prevent them from tripping on their backs plus this tiny white edge between sky and rock (I believe that is remaining from sharpening ) otherwise it's a proper landscape

Thank you! Looks like I need to wear specs as I'm having hard time seeing the halo. All of your comments and suggestions are appreciated! :)

"Cracking" shot John, lovely light, well composed, spot on exposure giving detail in the shadows & highlights, and for me just about the right amount of movement in the water.(y)

George.

Lovely picture, I know the place very well, I was brought up not far from there & the sunsets are some of the best you will see.
A week ago we were there and the waves were massive with lots of foam flying about.

Lovely picture, I know the place very well, I was brought up not far from there & the sunsets are some of the best you will see.
A week ago we were there and the waves were massive with lots of foam flying about.

Thanks! Yes it's a lovely place and I won't mind coming back!

Back