1. TG.

TG.

Name:
    Tel
    Edit My Images:
    No
    What's your thoughts on this guy, he has some fantastic work on the net, I've watched quite a bit of his stuff on YouTube and love what he does, he has a work shop in London in May, but quite expensive, seems to have a good approach although he does bang on about Sony. Discuss please.

2. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I don't like him, he comes across very smarmy and can be patronising to his models and employees. He thinks he's a lot better than he actually is. I wouldn't pay to listen to him.

Diamonddec, old bloke and gremlin16 like this.
  3. TG.

TG.

Name:
    Tel
    Edit My Images:
    No
    How so ?

4. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin

Name:
    Raymond
    Edit My Images:
    No
    He knows what he’s talking about and I guess his work isn’t terrible but there is not much imagination to his photos. It’s technically fine but it lacks soul, I find it hard to connect to his images.

5. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I like his work in general but I am not keen on his videos and find them annoying. He comes across as another Sony fanboi sometimes :p

Diamonddec and TG. like this.
  6. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No

Look at some of his videos where he's posing the models and you'll see soon enough

7. Fraser Euan White

Fraser Euan White

Name:
    Fraser White
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I love his work and technique.

8. gremlin16

gremlin16

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Sometimes I like his methodology and other times I can’t stand it. Yes, he is a massive Sony fanboy and he probably gets a big wedge of cash from Sony, but fair play to him, he knows how to create business. Yes I agree some of his shots are meh, some are too sterile, but some are amazing. Interesting which ever way you look st it though.

TG. and Fraser Euan White like this.
  9. Retune

Retune

Edit My Images:
    No
    He seems to be quite the fan of fill flash and tone mapping.

10. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Don't forget continous roto lights :D

Retune and TG. like this.
  11. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I'm glad it's not just me and I do wonder what some of them think of him once they're taken his money and gone home. I've known a few women who'd have planted him the way he talks sometimes.

I can't really comment too much on his photography other than say that it looks good to me and he seems to know the technicalities.

One thing from one of his videos struck me, he was talking about pictures that seem to have been taken on another planet with white skies and he said he'd never take a picture like that if it meant blowing the skies, he'd turn around and shoot in the opposite direction as you're judged on your photography. I thought at the time that was a bit brutal but I suppose he's right. I have the luxury of not relying on photography for money and I have no reputation to protect so if I want to take a picture I'll take it even if it means blowing the sky :D

12. gcgraphs

gcgraphs

Name:
    GC
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'm not too keen on his presentation style, I'd pay good money to see Ken Wheeler however, if he ever appeared over here though;)

GC

13. ohms12

ohms12

Name:
    Omar
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Not sure if anyone followed the recent story of a customer of one of Lanier's workshops? Turns out this guy's an army vet or something, got diagnosed with cancer, was scheduled to go under the knife and as such had to cancel his workshop. Lanier refused, deleted all comments relating to it on his Youtube channel, refused to reply to numerous emails, so on and so forth.

Not cool.

14. Finste

Finste

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Umm, seriously?

Regards...

15. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
    Shocking

16. TG.

TG.

Name:
    Tel
    Edit My Images:
    No
    He always claims he gets nothing from Sony not even the odd new camera, he claims the same about Rotolite, personally I don't believe any of that.

17. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I don't think he gets any monetary benefits from Sony since other Artisans don't either. What he probably does get is an early access to (test) copies of camera and lenses which are expected to be returned.

18. gremlin16

gremlin16

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I wouldn’t be promoting major brands for free that’s for certain :)

TG. likes this.
  19. TG.

TG.

Name:
    Tel
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Me neither, he has thousands of follower's on social media some who hang onto his every word, he must of influenced a lot to switch systems to Sony I bet.

gremlin16 likes this.
  20. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I've been thinking about why someone might do this and being as kind and innocent as possible... I think it could just be down to enthusiasm and love for it all.

I must admit that I don't feel all that much love for camera gear. I do like some of my old lenses and I like photography as a hobby but mostly - sorry - but I really couldn't give a flying who makes the kit and a gorgeous old Minolta lens could just as easily be a gorgeous old Zuiko... and camera wise I care even less, Sony, Nikon... Yawn... but back when I was into cars it was a real passion and I'd have talked all day to anyone who'd listen about the handling, immediacy and intimacy of this against that etc.

I'm not saying that Jason and those like him using whatever brand are doing it for the love and only for the love but it is at least possible.

Maybe it's the fame... maybe there's money in it, who knows.

stumac likes this.
  21. HoppyUK

HoppyUK

Name:
    Richard
    Edit My Images:
    No
    There's money in it for sure, some vloggers are full-time and employ assistants.

There's a bit of smoke and mirrors around sponsorship and payment. Not talking about Jason specifically, but the very fact that some vloggers are not paid directly and appear to be objective attracts viewers, clicks, and that brings advert revenue and click-through commissions.

They often don't want to be given loads of kit as that would attract benefit-in-kind income tax, but conveniently they still have thousands of $£$ worth of gear 'on loan for evaluation' and can get anything else they want at the drop of an email. Then they get generously paid to attend shows, run workshops, give talks and lectures etc but of course that is just 'normal paid work' ;)

StephenM, TheBigYin and TG. like this.
  22. addicknchips

addicknchips

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    he admits to being sponsored by Rotolight (master of light). also as a sony artisan he does get paid by them too.

he freely admits that to remain an artisan he needs to be able to shift gear. hence whenever a new camera comes out its the best thing ever and the previous ones are now no good.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  23. TG.

TG.

Name:
    Tel
    Edit My Images:
    No
    If you watch his videos (and I've watched quite a few) he gatogorically states he doesn't receive anything from Sony or Rotolight

24. addicknchips

addicknchips

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

25. TG.

TG.

Name:
    Tel
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Interestingly I have just watched the story behind this claim, it seems it was fabricated by that nob head mouth piece Ken wheeler

View: https://youtu.be/flh5xAyin3Y

jonneymendoza likes this.
  26. T_J_G

T_J_G

Name:
    Tim
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I don't know why anyone even watches him, seems JL will be taking him to the cleaners.

27. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I agree angry people generally stress me out, so I haven't bothered watching even a single video of his. I might have given him a shot if he called himself something else :D

TG. likes this.
  28. ohms12

ohms12

Name:
    Omar
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I don’t watch his videos. Any idea why he’d troll JL?

29. T_J_G

T_J_G

Name:
    Tim
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    JL says that Ken doesn't like successful people as he's a bit of an introvert.

30. Bollygum

Bollygum

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Truly bizarre story. JLs photos seem good, if a bit contrived, but KW seems really weird. Glad I live in another world.

31. TG.

TG.

Name:
    Tel
    Edit My Images:
    No
    It's not actually Ken wheelers video, it's mainly JL talking about the misinformation that Ken wheeler is putting on the net about him, quite liebous I would of thought.

ohms12 likes this.
  32. TG.

TG.

Name:
    Tel
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I get the impression Ken wheeler troll's anyone who is successful.

33. f/2.8

f/2.8

Name:
    Tommy
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Watched that JL video earlier hilarious really. JL will have to have been as ruthless as anyone to get where he is now. No doubt the truth falls somewhere in between as often does with these sort of things. That angry photographer guy is a tool though.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  34. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Hmmm. Not so sure about the truth falling somewhere in between. Either JL refused a cancer suffers refund or he didn't and the evidence seems to point to the cancer victim being a liar as it's hard to understand how he could be martial arting and laying in hospital simultaneously. If the story is as JL has set out and then we've got the allegations from other sources that TAP has claimed a photography past that there's little if any evidence for and also apparently claimed other photographers pictures as his own. The latter being pretty certain.

At the mo I'd be amazed if the story was anything other than as set out by JL. YMMV.

PS.
    I don't know if there's a winnable legal case there for JL against the cancer guy or TAP but if there is I hope JL takes it on and takes them both (hopefully) to the cleaners.

jonneymendoza and TG. like this.
  35. f/2.8

f/2.8

Name:
    Tommy
    Edit My Images:
    No

JL is as big a tool as the other guy. Stalking the guy on Facebook and Instagram is pretty embarrassing over £450.

36. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Are we talking about the same series of events?

Looking at JL's vid to me he makes a convincing case plus you have to look at their past. TAP repeatedly had digs at JL and others, JL tried to smooth things over and invited TAP on a shoot and things maybe settled and then this latest fiasco. I'd hardly say JL was stalking anyone and if anything it does seem to me that TAP is the one doing the repeated sniping.

You seem to be an another page if you think these guys are equal tools. You may be right, I may be wrong but even if JL is a tool there's a few other people convincingly pointing a finger at TAP and calling into question his claims and his honesty and I don't remember seeing any such allegations about JL.

In JL's place you or I may have just handed all this to our legal representative but these guys live large parts of their lives on line and as TAP made very public statements on line I can't really blame JL for hitting back on line even if it's not something I would have done.

37. Major

Major

Name:
    Tom
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I did like his wedding shots at seaside with HSS, but can't stand him as a person. Seems very loud which is quite annoying.

38. kendo1

kendo1

Name:
    Ken
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  39. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
    im watching this now