Jeremy Kyle - Show has gone - hooray!

Jeremy Kyle linked to more suicide scandals after mum killed herself six days after appearing on the show
Erica Pawson, 33, took an overdose six days after appearing on a programme hosted by the star and 31-year-old Paul McCarthy died three months after featuring on The Jeremy Kyle Show

Human nature - ripping people to shreds either physically or verbally is what we love to watch.

Boxing for example!

I must be really very very old then for a 57yr old, as I don`t like seeing any human being getting hurt and I don`t like boxing either as too many have died either in the ring or hospital later on from all the blows to the head. So it`s not in my nature to watch violence at all.

I must be really very very old then for a 57yr old, as I don`t like seeing any human being getting hurt and I don`t like boxing either as too many have died either in the ring or hospital later on from all the blows to the head. So it`s not in my nature to watch violence at all.
That doesn't make you old or odd in anyway Dave but the reality is there are millions who don't think the same.

.... That's fair enough and no-one has to watch boxing but engaging in many sports can result in serious injury or death. Would you want boxing to be banned? - I think it would just go underground.

Lots of people get hurt or die at the Isle of Man TT - The greatest bike race on earth!

That doesn't make you old or odd in anyway Dave but the reality is there are millions who don't think the same.

I know I`m not odd :D

.... That's fair enough and no-one has to watch boxing but engaging in many sports can result in serious injury or death. Would you want boxing to be banned? - I think it would just go underground.

Lots of people get hurt or die at the Isle of Man TT - The greatest bike race on earth!

I don`t think I said anything about banning boxing, all I said was I don`t watch it as to me it`s stupid to watch men batter the hell out of each other and maybe end up killing one.

In regard to the participants of sports compared to reality TV, as such is being discussed.

Yes, we as viewers make our own choices to what to watch.

However, if anyone is conflating the two genre in regard to the participants that is facile & misleading in the extreme!

Why? well be it a contact sport like boxing or Motorsports (bike or car) those who participate are doing so with a whole support network around them including psychologists who are there to attend to their mental health and well being and in the case of motorsports there will be a whole 'army' (big or small) who ensure the vehicle is as safe as it can possibly be to mitigate against potential life affecting injuries.

Furthermore, should there be any injuries be they life changing or not there is also a significant network around the injured participant to protect their interests and aid them on the road to recovery....................................can the same really be said for reality TV participants??? (NB in motorsports as I perceive it I can think of the likes of ~ Niki Lauda, Johnny Herbert, Robert Kubica and in the up & coming category Billy Monger.....................none of these would be (in regard to their injuries) where they are today without the network 'enveloping them'.

If I have in anyway mis-read any of the above posts I am sorry but what I read prompted me to try to draw a line between the two genre in regard to participants.................because IMO there can be no comparison!!!

PS as for the viewing figures of the likes of JK show, as I said somewhere above I do wonder about the health of 'our society' :(

In regard to the participants of sports compared to reality TV, as such is being discussed.

Yes, we as viewers make our own choices to what to watch.

However, if anyone is conflating the two genre in regard to the participants that is facile & misleading in the extreme!

Why? well be it a contact sport like boxing or Motorsports (bike or car) those who participate are doing so with a whole support network around them including psychologists who are there to attend to their mental health and well being and in the case of motorsports there will be a whole 'army' (big or small) who ensure the vehicle is as safe as it can possibly be to mitigate against potential life affecting injuries.

Furthermore, should there be any injuries be they life changing or not there is also a significant network around the injured participant to protect their interests and aid them on the road to recovery....................................can the same really be said for reality TV participants??? (NB in motorsports as I perceive it I can think of the likes of ~ Niki Lauda, Johnny Herbert, Robert Kubica and in the up & coming category Billy Monger.....................none of these would be (in regard to their injuries) where they are today without the network 'enveloping them'.

If I have in anyway mis-read any of the above posts I am sorry but what I read prompted me to try to draw a line between the two genre in regard to participants.................because IMO there can be no comparison!!!

PS as for the viewing figures of the likes of JK show, as I said somewhere above I do wonder about the health of 'our society' :(

Your view on motorsports may well be true for top level participants, but it is certainly not the case for club racers, or probably the vast majority who take place in road racing, including the TT.

Your view on motorsports may well be true for top level participants, but it is certainly not the case for club racers, or probably the vast majority who take place in road racing, including the TT.

Yes, I take your point and there have also been spectators killed and injured at the TT (and other open events?) perhaps they need spectator risk in the JK genre, how many would go into the audience, being a closed event, if they were told and had to sign a disclaimer of risk??? (FWIW I am not being serious!)

But though the type of network I describe is proportionate to the level of the sport, surely even at club level type events the participants are not totally cavalier in their approach to the potential for injury........that again is the difference I outline between program genre.

NB I can perceive that anyone who watches JK is a potential participant but human nature being what it is none of us can readily conceive that we will be the victim of the sort of humiliation that gets meted out.

Last edited:
God knows why sport was mentioned at all, as the thread is and was about JK and his stupid show and the sad death of the man.

Dave - i mentioned it because, like it or not us humans (a significant proportion) get satisfaction from seeing people suffer, we have from the start of time and I'm sure it isn't likely to change soon.

Even a child can recognise the difference between doing something that might be dangerous and doing something designed to be dangerous.
Sometimes what you think is flippancy comes out as f***wittery

Dave - i mentioned it because, like it or not us humans (a significant proportion) get satisfaction from seeing people suffer, we have from the start of time and I'm sure it isn't likely to change soon.

I know what you mean, as I tend to agree with a saying that says The most evil thing on Earth is the Human.

Following on from this - whilst there is a demand there will always be someone to 'make the product'

.... Exactly! And the same applies whether the 'product' is good or bad and legal or illegal.

A very sad world we live in, people make money from others pain and call it entertainment.

.... It has never been any different. The Roman Colosseum was a gift to the plebs as an arena for entertainment. There is no point being sad about it.

.... It has never been any different. The Roman Colosseum was a gift to the plebs as an arena for entertainment. There is no point being sad about it.

The sad bit is just a saying but one that I do think is true. About the Rome Colosseum lot were just pure 100% evil.

The more I read this thread the more I want to see what I missed by not watching the JK Show.

I think that the show cleverly exploited the stupidity of those who appeared on it who were either relationship revenge seeking or TV celeb seekers or both.

Following on from this - whilst there is a demand there will always be someone to 'make the product'

Cart before the horse?

Do you really think that people asked for the JK program and then they made it?

I would surmise the production company might have done some focus group surveys but with what q&a criteria......they then made the pilot series ...and they found a formula that appealed, with the results that we see now.

I dare say the psychologists employed by the production company in the planning phase helped reveal how to craft it to encourage further watching (drug addiction comes to mind). But does such a method of finding a program to make, then justify the making of it bearing in mind it's intention is broadly speaking to reveal the suffering of others for its entertainment value???

The sad bit is just a saying but one that I do think is true. About the Rome Colosseum lot were just pure 100% evil.

.... Indeed it is a saying but it suggests thinking that the glass is half empty rather than half full. Personally I prefer to live my life as an optimist.

However one judges the Roman civilisation ("What did the Romans ever do for us?" - Monty Python), my point was that such forms of entertainment have been going on for centuries.

Cart before the horse?

.... No, I think that the program producers were very astute and more likely firstly recognised that there were plenty of people who would A) want to appear on such a TV show and B) there were plenty of people who would want to watch it.

What that says about people is another aspect. I think I only watched one show a very long time ago but I do remember thinking how stupid some of the participants were and laughing at them - Call me callous if you like.

Wasn't JK just a watered down British version of Jerry Springer?

I wonder how much suffering, psychological and physical damage be it through exhaustion, pollution etc is suffered by the children and young adults who are made to literally slave away in China for the numerous products we buy?

We are quick to ban JK yet not so fast to boycott China. It's the usual predictability of everyone jumping on the bandwagon and wanting to appear all moral but when it comes to something like the prospect of having to pay a little more for our stuff, you can hear a pin drop.

Cart before the horse?

I would surmise the production company might have done some focus group surveys but with what q&a criteria......they then made the pilot series ...and they found a formula that appealed, with the results that we see now.

I dare say the psychologists employed by the production company in the planning phase helped reveal how to craft it to encourage further watching (drug addiction comes to mind). But does such a method of finding a program to make, then justify the making of it bearing in mind it's intention is broadly speaking to reveal the suffering of others for its entertainment value???

They just copied the format of The Jerry Springer Show.

And the same is probably true these days, of bull fighting, generally the bull loses, but I suspect that half the crowd are hoping the bull wins,
or at least comes a damn good second ;)

I don't think the blood lust truly left the "innate behavior" of our make up.
Be that metaphorical or otherwise.

Seems not all victims don't know what is going to happen
Dawne Mair
Seven times on the show WTF and now moaning about it
Sadly it is stories like this that lose sympathy for those that are
affected badly

Seems not all victims don't know what is going to happen
Dawne Mair
Seven times on the show WTF and now moaning about it
Sadly it is stories like this that lose sympathy for those that are
affected badly
So JK was nice to her on her first show, but then subsequent appearences left he feeling depressed?
Somehow I don't think that would have been the last of her appearances if the show hadn't been ditched.

I do have children, now adults so they lived through the explosion of social media. And I have no more 'fear' for their welfare than my parents had for mine. I find most of the sensationalism is the fear of the unknown, people who don't understand the technology spread FUD.

Just in case you're implying that I'm spreading FUD I'll remind you that I worked in tech for over 20 years, nearer 30 actually and although I largely avoid it now by choice I'm at least passingly familiar with tech and it's potential such as the potential for both children and adults to be exposed to both written and verbal threats, insults and hate when sat in their bedrooms, in their living rooms or on a tea break at work and I can't remember a time when that was the case.

OK everyone has the option of turning off the smartphone, tablet and games console but that's not something many would actually do and some such as children at school or young adults at college and uni could be at risk of being singled out simply because they're not using this tech and interacting with it.

Just my opinion and I'm sure you'll disagree but I do think that bullying can be more invasive and more difficult to avoid now than probably at any time. And indeed I'm sure that some younger people who've committed suicide have indeed been driven to it not by punch ups in the street but by invasive constant tech based bullying.

Last edited:
Reading this thread and how people have moved things on from reality tv (sport?) made me think of what's going on in politics and religion these days. I say these days but I suppose it's always been the case.

I understand that as Fraser points out ripping people to shreds is perhaps a part of us but we also have the capacity for empathy too, unless we're talking about those a little further along the psychopath or other scales, and I suppose all social media and JK type shows do is allow the ripping to shreds to be done more completely and quickly and expose it to a larger audience.

I do find a little hope in the fact that often there's an immediate swing from the urge to totally destroy someone to feel empathy and sympathy when we see the damage but I do hope that "we" can learn from all this and somehow incorporate some sort or awareness education into our systems and society and perhaps resist the urge to turn our collective hate and want to destroy one individual onto another. For example, from the "contestant" or the victim and onto someone connected with the show or the bully.

What is "FUD" please? It's not a term I am familiar with. Thanks.

"FUD" = Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt

I first recall seeing the expression, some few years back, to do with software when RAW file processing was the domain of "professionals" so for hobbyists to process RAW's was full of FUD as to the concerns over it's (then) complexity ;)

"FUD" = Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt

I first recall seeing the expression, some few years back, to do with software when RAW file processing was the domain of "professionals" so for hobbyists to process RAW's was full of FUD as to the concerns over it's (then) complexity ;)

.... Many thanks - Much appreciated.

I love RAW! I don't shoot anything else but RAW editing software certainly has a learning curve, but is very rewarding. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, eh?

FUD comes from much further back. It first appears in the 1920s and was often used as a (disparaging) description of IBM's marketing strategy from the 1970s onwards. Alfred Bester parodied the concept as FFCC (Fun, Fantasy, Confusion and Catastrophe) in "The Stars My Destination".

Spike Milligan and army pals used to indulge in fud tugging in North Africa in the early '40s...

Back