Jeremy Kyle - Show has gone - hooray!

Name
Linda
Edit My Images
No
I only ever saw part of an episode of this once and that was enough. While it was hard to believe that people lined up to be on a show which delighted in exposing people when they were, shall we say, not at their best, it seems a tad ironic that I have seen a headline that claims the staff are complaining about a duty of care to their jobs..... thoughts?

Was just thinking about this... Crazy how its being blamed for the death of this contestant when he's asked to go on it, knowing full well what happens on the show and how people see people who go on the show.

You can't blame the show for that, its all on him!

So the most vulnerable [lowest in your words, Ricardodaforce] are without value or a duty of care?

With such "car crash TV" you never see the outcomes......there may be many participants damaged by the experience (of their strange(?) 15 minutes of fame). But sadly there is now one participant, who as far as it seems discernible, has taken his own life as a direct result of being in the spotlight on the show.

The real sadness in my eyes is that this program endured for so long, simply because we will never know how many others have been hurt by it!

On a side note ~ how is it that such vicarious living type programs appeal to people. The young woman I caught a bit of an interview with on the news was in the audience. She came across as a quite rational ordinary person......so just what was it about this program that attracted her to want to be in the audience???

Of the odd time when channel hopping I caught sight of it, it looked like a combination of bear baiting, cock fighting....even a Gladiatoreal fight. Why on earth was it made in the first place.

PS but frankly I am pleased it has been canned.

Last edited:
As far as I am aware no one is forced to appear on the show. If people didn't want to appear, the show would have dried up years ago. I am unsure how the show could be held accountable for something someone has volunteered to take part in. There are people now calling for Love Island to be cancelled also because a contestant committed suicide a while ago, again the participants appear voluntarily. Whilst it is unfortunate these people have committed suicide, I fail to see how the shows are to blame when the participants have volunteered for the "experience ".

As far as I am aware no one is forced to appear on the show. If people didn't want to appear, the show would have dried up years ago. I am unsure how the show could be held accountable for something someone has volunteered to take part in. There are people now calling for Love Island to be cancelled also because a contestant committed suicide a while ago, again the participants appear voluntarily. Whilst it is unfortunate these people have committed suicide, I fail to see how the shows are to blame when the participants have volunteered for the "experience ".

Yes, I do not doubt they are all required to sign a disclaimer of some description. I surmise the same such disclaimer would b used on any/all reality TV.......but does that make it right?

What next, someone commits suicide because they don't win a fortune on a quiz show and they ban all such shows ?
They would have to ban the lottery etc as well. Best not to take any chances. Wrap everyone up in cotton wool or biubble wrap for those with a cotton wool phobia and don't allow anyone to do anything.

Was just thinking about this... Crazy how its being blamed for the death of this contestant when he's asked to go on it, knowing full well what happens on the show and how people see people who go on the show.

You can't blame the show for that, its all on him!
Don’t assume these people ‘asked’ to go on the show.
I read an article by someone who worked as a ‘researcher’ on a similar show.
The participants were coerced into appearing and then ‘wound up’ before filming.
It makes bull fighting look like a petting zoo.

I'll be honest, i've seen snippets of it a few times. personally I think the production company preyed on vulnerable people with the promise of their '15 minutes of fame' couple with a night or 2 in a hotel with all expenses paid. Is there room/a need for a format like it? I'm not sure myself, but it had rather a large following as far as I know.

Don’t assume these people ‘asked’ to go on the show.
I read an article by someone who worked as a ‘researcher’ on a similar show.
The participants were coerced into appearing and then ‘wound up’ before filming.
It makes bull fighting look like a petting zoo.

I've been asked to do heroin before, I said no.. Its not hard to say no to things you don't want to do.
Similarly in my younger days I've had "help" to party, if have got addicted it'd have been no ones fault but my own! Wouldn't blame the person who offered it me because I'm a grown up and can say no to things I don't want to do!

Now to get rid of all the other crap TV programs aimed at chavs living on benefits.

I've been asked to do heroin before, I said no.. Its not hard to say no to things you don't want to do.
Similarly in my younger days I've had "help" to party, if have got addicted it'd have been no ones fault but my own! Wouldn't blame the person who offered it me because I'm a grown up and can say no to things I don't want to do!
You’re not showing much evidence of having grown up if I’m honest.

There's a book called "the psychopath test" which might interest some. In it there's a bit about a reality tv show and how they selected the right sort of people to appear on it. The researcher would call them and one of the questions was what medication were they taking as they knew that people talking a certain type of medication would be likely to be good (car crash) tv as they'd be likely to have a melt down or otherwise behave in "good" way... I can't remember the details but I think it all ended badly for that researcher and the show. Anyway, it all seems to parallel the Jeremy Kyle guests and where we find ourselves now. I obviously can't say if there's been a similar selection process based on medication for the Kyle show but I wouldn't be too surprised if there was some weighting given to how people may react.

I'm not too sure I'd blame the Jeremy Kyle show exclusively and ban it though as although show seems to be at the centre of this social media will be in the mix too and perhaps even more to blame and I haven't heard anyone campaigning for Facebook and all the others to be banned. Maybe better regulation, control and selection is the way forward rather than a ban as if we ban where do we stop? How about Love Island (I've never seen it but believe it's been linked with suicides,) how about banning the various dancing competitions as they don't seem to be able to resist having affairs and breaking up relationships, how about banning The Apprentice? What about those shows that confront cowboy builders etc? Surely even a cowboy builder could be pushed to commit suicide if hounded enough? Where do we stop?

I'm generally not in favour of bans. Maybe the various TV companies need a good collective kick up the @rse and maybe they need to be told to be more responsible, professional and more compassionate and to have good support services for those who may need it.

Last edited:
I’ve seen snippets of this absolutely appalling show whilst channel-hopping and one aspect that has taken a back seat is that it had the highest daytime viewing numbers at 1 million,taking 22% of daytime viewers. A rather disturbing fact in my opinion.

But he went on the show knowing how people are perceived and failed a lie detector test... That's on him and no one else.
You do realise that there are other views of life that are different from yours?

But he went on the show knowing how people are perceived and failed a lie detector test... That's on him and no one else.

It's a little like setting up a show on the edge of a cliff, then persauding those who weren't bright enough to know better that the whole world will watch in amazement and awe if they'll just run and jump off - and of course many do, resulting in different degrees of personal harm. So yes, they were stupid enough to jump, but it seems to me that those who persauded them to do something they would never have done on their own carry a very considerable responsibility for their harm.

It can be difficult to feel sympathy for the stupid, but those that prey upon them are despicable.

I wonder if this will be enough to turn the tide against the parasitic entertainment of reality TV?

The JK show has done good things. The shows about overcoming adversity and reuniting families have been pretty good even if maybe done better by other shows. The chav bating has lead to the end but it'll be a shame to lose the better bits too.

The JK show has done good things. The shows about overcoming adversity and reuniting families have been pretty good even if maybe done better by other shows. The chav bating has lead to the end but it'll be a shame to lose the better bits too.
Something else will emerge to take any worthwhile 'better bits' just as they existed before JK.

Lie detector tests aren't accurate - which is why they're not used in the British legal system. They're used purely for 'entertainment' on that show.

And I have no words to describe someone who thinks that vulnerable people being manipulated equates to those people 'making their own choice'. That's psychopathic levels of personality disorder.

It’s lowest common denominator tv for lowest common denominator people. Good riddance.

.... That sounds rather snobbish, perhaps you don't mean it to be.

If you are going to class or categorise people like that then you could equally (or rather, unequally) say that most of the populace may be described as "lowest common demoninator people".

"Good riddance"? < What happened to 'live-and-let-live'? Or should I say 'live-and-let-die'? No-one is forced to appear on these TV programs and no-one is forced to watch them - I didn't watch The JK Show except one program and was then bored, but I enjoyed watching Love Island.

And I have no words to describe someone who thinks that vulnerable people being manipulated equates to those people 'making their own choice'. That's psychopathic levels of personality disorder.

For someone who wants to take the 'higher moral stance' in every debate that takes place on TP you are always happy to throw abuse and character assassinations at other members on here?

Last edited:

"You do realise that there are other views of life that are different from yours?" right? Doesn't mean it's psychopathic levels of personal disorder.

But you can't deny the fact that he wanted to be on the show. I don't see how you can even blame the show for his death? It hadn't even aired yet so there had been no back lash from people.

I've not said at any point the man deserved to die but the blame stands with him and not a show, which by all accounts gave him great aftercare till he stopped accepting it.

But you can't deny the fact that he wanted to be on the show. I don't see how you can even blame the show for his death? It hadn't even aired yet so there had been no back lash from people.

I've not said at any point the man deserved to die but the blame stands with him and not a show, which by all accounts gave him great aftercare till he stopped accepting it.

.... Very good point! Like it or loathe it, The JK Show in presenting his case gave the suicidal guy opportunities to confront issues and in doing so they could have had a more positive result.

In retrospect isn't it true to say that the guy had suicidal tendencies regardless of the JK show?

.... Very good point! Like it or loathe it, The JK Show in presenting his case gave the suicidal guy opportunities to confront issues and in doing so they could have had a more positive result.

In retrospect isn't it true to say that the guy had suicidal tendencies regardless of the JK show?

I imagine it would have been on his mind anyway...

According to his ex wife (and this obviously could all be b*****ks) he was physically abusive towards her and was "arrested over allegations he was a paedophile." so there could have been a number of reasons he killed himself

Where does this assumption come from?
Everything I've read points to the opposite.

So do you think someone with suicidal tendencies should be subject to such an ordeal?
I suppose I'm odd because I believe society owes a duty of care to the vulnerable.

Even if you don't subscribe to the view that civilised society is measured on how it treats it's most vulnerable members, it's often simply cheaper to help with peoples problems than to mop up the consequences.

So do you think someone with suicidal tendencies should be subject to such an ordeal?
I suppose I'm odd because I believe society owes a duty of care to the vulnerable.

Even if you don't subscribe to the view that civilised society is measured on how it treats it's most vulnerable members, it's often simply cheaper to help with peoples problems than to mop up the consequences.

.... No, I don't believe that someone with suicidal tendencies should be subjected to such an ordeal but the guy wasn't forced to go on the show and the show has always had the potential for confrontation to contribute towards solving issues.

As Keef (Richards?) points out :

According to his ex wife (and this obviously could all be b*****ks) he was physically abusive towards her and was "arrested over allegations he was a paedophile." so there could have been a number of reasons he killed himself

I don't think that costs should be a factor - Surely suicides aren't discouraged (are they still illegal?) just to save subsequent messy (literally) mopping up costs.

.... No, I don't believe that someone with suicidal tendencies should be subjected to such an ordeal but the guy wasn't forced to go on the show and the show has always had the potential for confrontation to contribute towards solving issues.
And that's how the vulnerable were coerced into appearing (a potential to get help) - but the reality is that only a tiny percentage ever got real 'help', the point of the show is pure entertainment for the brainless, the human cost was just collateral damage to the people making money from it.

And that's how the vulnerable were coerced into appearing (a potential to get help) - but the reality is that only a tiny percentage ever got real 'help', the point of the show is pure entertainment for the brainless, the human cost was just collateral damage to the people making money from it.

.... For once I tend to agree with you Phil. But if only a tiny percentage ever get real help from the experience (or ordeal), then that is surely a good thing.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him (her/it etc) drink. I guess that some horses will commit suicide by drowning themselves in the water!

Perhaps another subject, but why is suicide considered to be a crime? The word 'commit' suggests criminal or illegal action. If someone wants to exit, why not let them? - It might help reduce the over population problems :D

According to his ex wife (and this obviously could all be b*****ks)

Maybe she should take a lie detector test?

Back