Jewellery / Light tent

You've got one photograph of jewellery on your website, as far as I can see - and it looks very dark, with lots of reflections on the metal itself. This seems to go against what you are saying?

Yeah, that was on a piece of black acrylic.

Here is one I took with the method I described... earrings hung on magicians 'Invisible Thread', lit with ringflash and focusing spot on BG. Minimal PP to save time (it was a budget job!). The reflection is added in PP... it's what the client wanted!

TPearrings.jpg

Why not shot with a Black background and the you can use this to make a mask and make you own background, on a new layer below it, how ever you like in Photoshop
Also I think some blending modes will hide black as well

It's a possibility. It's worth trying in both black and white, and then adding my background in PS afterwards. Thanks Chaz.

Yeah, that was on a piece of black acrylic.

Here is one I took with the method I described... earrings hung on magicians 'Invisible Thread', lit with ringflash and focusing spot on BG. Minimal PP to save time (it was a budget job!). The reflection is added in PP... it's what the client wanted!

Yes, that makes sense. I like the idea of the spot to blow the background too - thanks.

Ok another one today:

arabic2.jpg

and on the black velvet of its case.....

arabic3.jpg

and with the gradient treatment.....

arabic.jpg

Oh and I know about the fluff on my sensor :)

Last edited:
looking good (y)

Yes, I think I might have just about got the settings for the white background!

Really silly setup but here goes.....

• Studio light with the stand as low as it will possibly go and pointing straight upwards fitted with a soft box.
  • Piece of thick white matt paper sat on the soft box.
  • Two cheapo tripods either side of the softbox pointing down with defusers on them (SB600+SB800 in my case).
  • PC sync cable firing the studio light and the SBs fired via CLS at EV-2.0.
  • On board flash up (in order to fire the other two flashes) set at EV-3.0
  • Camera in manual mode f16, 1/100s, ISO200
  • Lens AFS 105mm f/2.8 micro.

I am really liking this and it works. I might however get another cheap studio light and fit it into a black plastic box similar in size to the softbox and place some frosted acrylic over the top as it will take more weight.

:agree: with Wookie... Last one is starting to look how I think you want it to Darren... :shrug:

It does look impressive although there are one or two well blown highlights that distract a bit imhgo... :D

But I am still of the opinion that a necklace should be taken in the vertical plane as it will be seen when worn... :thinking: ... but that really is just a personal taste thing and you must do what you are Helen is happy with... :D

:p

:agree: with Wookie... Last one is starting to look how I think you want it to Darren... :shrug:

It does look impressive although there are one or two well blown highlights that distract a bit imhgo... :D

But I am still of the opinion that a necklace should be taken in the vertical plane as it will be seen when worn... :thinking: ... but that really is just a personal taste thing and you must do what you are Helen is happy with... :D

I agree and would like to get some more props such as a display bust but Helen really does like the gradient look. If I can get this working well then we have some choices.

It's not what Darren's going for - it's what I've asked him to do - and sometimes he does as he's told! :LOL: Looking at the final image, that IS in the vertical plane, ie as it will be seen when worn - as far as I can see.

I personally find props such as busts and ring stands very distracting.

See the work of Todd Reed (which I really LOVE) - but it's his photographs that I'm looking at here:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...&sa=N&start=36&um=1&ei=REvzSs_xPJPZ-QbAlPyrBA

See also many of Barbara Heinrich's photos (also gorgeous work!):

http://www.barbaraheinrichstudio.com/large 1-10.htm
http://www.barbaraheinrichstudio.com/barbara.html

Click on "The work" in the menu on the left, and on page three, there are a few with the gradient background I really like.

If anyone can shed light (no pun intended) on how I can produce images as good or just approaching these, I would be really grateful. I am NOT looking for alternative ideas - this is what I am after. Then of course, if only I could get my jewellery to similar standards, all would be well with the world! ;)

Last edited:
Back