Jigsaw Rocks

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
At Low Newton by the Sea in Northumberland there is a rock formation known to local photographers as the "Jigsaw Rocks". The location has been on my to do list for about a year. Opinion is that its best visited at high tide to get the best "jigsaw effect"

Just arrived too late for sunrise, because I was distracting by a barn owl just outside the village. Just couldn't help myself, even though I left the house at 4:40am to make sure I got there in time. Still my first visit, so more of a recce.

Was a very high tide this morning. There was one other person there who said the tide was actually too high for best views of the formations. So long since I took a seascape. Nice to be on a beach at this time of the day.

"Jigsaw Rocks", Low Newton by Alan Wennington, on Flickr

epic shot dude!!

although the clouds are black i kinda like them it adds to the effect on the image if they was white or alot lighter don't think it would have the same effect as the current picture! not from what i can picture in my mind anyway!

but Black clouds gets a thumbs up from me :) !

I think this looks a little over processed, sorry. You possibly want to lift the exposure and especially lighten the sky a bit. A faster shutter speed would give you a more pleasing blur I feel - this is a bit too slow to capture any wave movement which I think this scene needs to hold the eye. Neil Burnell is excellent at seascapes and worth studying

Thanks Chris, Giles, Neil and Scirocco. Really appreciate the feedback. Have to say though, this was always going to be a long exposure shot. I do like to do a lot of seascapes at about 1 sec or so, for some movement. But not this one. For me its all about the rock shapes, the ethereal mist effect, around them and the light shining on them is the bonus.

Last edited:
Back