Jittery cursor on Windows laptop and no control

Name
Darrin
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a si was going to buy an external monitor for my yoga, it seems to be on the blink. Only 18 months or so old but out of warranty.
Cursor just goes bezerk, can't control it at all, right click never worked after 6 months or so, but kin dof put up with it an dused a mouse instead.
Any ideas what could cause the jittering and no control?

Tia

Drivers.
Uninstall and then reinstall

Drivers.
Uninstall and then reinstall
Thanks, yes did that about 10 times with different drivers trying to get the right click to work, this is a new thing that started last week, and is gradually getting worse, I'm wondering if the track pad is going belly up

Could be, though it's unusual.
You could probably get a new one.

It may be a faulty connection, the connector might not be fully 'home'. Have you had a look inside?

No, but I'm gonna throw it out the window soon. I thought it was Lightroom causing it, but restart andeave it sat there a few minutes and off it goes, touchscreen becomes unresponsive too it seems

It could be the battery swelling due to age, pressing up under the trackpad & causing problems. Does the trackpad allow you to press to click or is it non-moving? Have you also had any problems with the keyboard & keys occasionally not registering a press?

My XPS has recently started having occasional trackpad issues (false clicks) and turning the compyter upside down & tapping the base of the machine seemed to dislodge whatever caused the problem - if you have an ordinary hard drive (i.e. not SSD) then shut down first.

It has an ssd, 8 gig i7, really annoying, and less than 18 months old.
Rolled back the driver just now, restarted etc and there's no continuity with how long it takes to go haywire.
I guess if it's out of warranty I may as well open it up and have a poke about

I guess if it's out of warranty I may as well open it up and have a poke about

Yup.

If it takes time before displaying the fault then there is likely a software issue. If the fault comes and goes then it may be a hardware issue.

Have you installed any new programs recently.
I had a similar problem with my older Sony Laptop when I changed the antivirus software, it was
annoying, pointer had a life of it's own, even with a wireless mouse in use
Removed the programme and all was fine again

You could try the nuclear option and re-install from recovery, a good prod to back up your stuff and not reinstall anything hardy getting used.

The latest was Lightroom and PS, but it's been running fine for a few months since then, was just going to buy a monitor for it.
The reset option would be good if I could control the bloody thing long enough to actually do it[emoji24]

The latest was Lightroom and PS, but it's been running fine for a few months since then, was just going to buy a monitor for it.
The reset option would be good if I could control the bloody thing long enough to actually do it[emoji24]
Do you have a USB mouse that you can plug into the laptop?

I'll try that, I really don't use the touch screen at all, only to unlock when booting up
OP - it sounds like this could be a touch screen driver issue - I had this on my lenovo. It depends if you use the touch screen that much - I simply disabled mine in device manager and all my cursor related issues disappeared!

So at the moment it seems to be working ok, uninstalled all adobe programmes, reinstalled all drivers, reinstalled lightroom and ps, and for now, seems to be working....

I had this on one of our Dells - cursor going mad, programs opening and closing themselves - it was a faulty touchscreen.
Temporarily dealt with by disabling it but every windows update re-enabled it so I got a new screen.
I could also make it go away by changing the angle of the screen - worth looking at.

Back