Joe and Lauras Wedding

Would have liked the 4th photo in my collection ;) - something I was missing, that I wanted.

OK ... I stress here that I'm only commenting from the POV of a retired pro wedding snapper, and on the assumption that you want to do better at your next wedding :)

1 & 2 are fine.

3 is a technically proficient shot of a woman with one eye and part of her face obscured by the Dangly Bit, and it includes part of an odd forearm. You were on the right side of the subject for best light, but the wrong side to get the picture you were after. What's missing apart from one eye is the story i.e. an explanation of what the picture is about. You know that's the bride getting her hair done because you were there. Anybody else is guessing. The picture of that moment was to be had from round to your left and from lower down, which would have given you an unobscured face and enough of the hairdresser OOF in the shot to give context.

4 For this shot to work, you need to see fingertips and what they're doing. The other problem with it is the bit of material in Mum's right hand. It's by no means obvious what that is and how it relates to what's going on. Most brides looking at this shot would be thinking this is Mum pulling up the back of the dress to cover the bra strap, and wondering why they aren't seeing The Doing Up.

5 That is sooooo close to being spot on! It's let down only by her expression being not quite there, so AFAIC well done with this one.

6 I'm guessing that's the groom waiting for the star of the show to turn up? It's a nice enough portrait, but most folk looking at that will wonder what he was looking at/thinking. Again, what's missing is the story, or if you like, context.

7 Confetti shot's fine, but if you didn't rattle off a few in quick succession to stack the odds in your favour, it's always worth considering doing just that next time.

8 That's very nicely done indeed, but next time, don't have the bride put both arms round the groom unless she has very little by way of a bust. The bustline of her dress has gone off because in order to reach her right arm round him, she's had to turn into him too much. If she'd just held his left hand instead, that wouldn't have happened and it would still look totally natural. BTW, I couldn't care a flying one about the blown highlights any more than they will ;)

All things considered, not a bad effort at all. You've obviously got the techniques pretty much sorted, so all you really need is two things. One is just more experience. And the other is to try to think in terms of the story as opposed to just trying to get a "nice picture".

HTH a bit

Last edited:
Agree with S.Sid on all the above.
My preference (for the last shot) is to have the groom on the LH side (camera view); in this instance you wouldn't have had come soooo close to just burning out the highlights on the dress.
Still, a lovely selection of work.

Back