weekly jono2002's weekly 52 challenge 2019 - Week 11 Entrance SooC

:) Brilliant choice of image. Well composed and the blue adds a bit of interest.

Good details in the bristles, nicely exposed. Glad you used a new one though! :D

Well that looks super clean, fabulous detail and colour....nice composition to, I can’t believe I’m saying that about a toilet brush :)
Lovely sharp image. It must be a new toilet brush to look so clean! And you have just reminded me to buy a new one! So thank you!

It was 75p from ASDA! still not been used. Better use it soon, since everyone liked the picture so much it might end up getting some kind of sentimental value to it :)

That`s a good effort for open, but not for me as the top left hand side is blown.

That was intentional, I had placed a light behind the can as the background was not great. The more I look at it the more I "think yes, its a little too much" and could of been less intense.

Last edited:
I agree that it looks a bit blown top left but I do love the detail of most of the image, it has real depth

Very cool macro image Jon.
I can see what the others mean, but I rather like it....if you had exposed for the lights, you might have lost the detail in that tiny drop nestling on the flappy bit inside the can!
That's what drew my eye into the image, so for me it works as a great focal point.
(y)

Nice - can almost hear the *PSSSHT!"

A really interesting take on an every day object. The detail in it really draws your eye in, especially the texture in the aluminium which looks like the grain in wood. Well thought of and well taken too (y)

Liking this image a lot. Others have already said about the top left hand side being a bit blown. The detail in the can is superb.

Thanks all for the comments, nearly posted distant but it was so grey and boring I couldn't bring myself to it. Back to drawing board, maybe I can use some snow if I'm lucky to get some here.

the tight crop really works, lots of detail I like it

Week 5 - COLD

_2030546.jpg

Struggling a bit with time whilst moving back into my house over the next few weeks, however I do have an empty COLD fridge freezer. As you can see the thermometer shows its too warm with the door open and camera pointed at it :)

Last edited:
Catch up Week 4 - DISTANT

Cheated a little with this one as its from the past, but I think it great fit for distant.

P4140035.jpg

Two excellent images Jonathan.(y)

Distant: excellent use of angles and depth of field...a very pensive image with some great drama in the sky, fits the theme nicely.
Cold: You can't get a more fitting image than a fridge freezer!! Nice image with a 'cool' story!!:giggle:

Jon

Open, nice close up, but light top left is too much. Focus, details, exposure is good.

Cold, on theme, looks cold, nuff said.

Distant, on 2 levels, the background and where he is looking. You could have a better crop leaving out the old traffic cone, but overall a nice image.

Pete

Jon

Open, nice close up, but light top left is too much. Focus, details, exposure is good.

Cold, on theme, looks cold, nuff said.

Distant, on 2 levels, the background and where he is looking. You could have a better crop leaving out the old traffic cone, but overall a nice image.

Pete
Thanks for the feedback. Agreed a crop leaving out the traffic cone would be good. I liked having it there as it adds to the scene however not enough of it is in view for that.

I like both Cold and Distant. I think Cold could work as a tighter shot and my OCD wants to turn the thermometer over so that it reads the right way up. Great fit for the theme and well thought out.

Distant works well but I will make the same comment re the cone. It might make a good shot in mono too?

I like both Cold and Distant. I think Cold could work as a tighter shot and my OCD wants to turn the thermometer over so that it reads the right way up. Great fit for the theme and well thought out.

Distant works well but I will make the same comment re the cone. It might make a good shot in mono too?

Thanks, have had a quick look at having it mono but not sure it works. However did give me an idea to change the colours, crop it and add a frame. Very different now to how it was before. The sea in the previous version really was green but in the below you still get a hint without it being so saturated.

pensive_2.jpg

Two good images for their themes (y) Cold might benefit from a little crop at the top as most of the 'cold' texture and detail is in the foreground in front of the thermometer, but the texture and blue tones are perfect. Distant works well on two levels, as others have commented, with the distant land and the pensive gaze leading out of the frame. I think your edit to crop out the cone and lift the colours has improved it, too.

Cold - Took me a while to spot the mercury on that stat, I was expecting it to be some modern illuminated tomfoolery ;)
Critique would be that it's almost, but not quite symmetrical. If it's not possible to get it fully symmetrical, making it obviously at an angle would make it a deliberate choice rather than feeling slightly accidental.

Distant - Definitely the second edit. The de-saturation gives a more bleak feel and makes the skin tones look more in keeping with a cold winter.
Removal of the cone also improves the shot imo.

Back