Jon's 2019 52- Week 17-Light and Week 18-Crowded

Those are both very nice landscapes - I guess if I were picky about them in that genre there are crops that might be worth trying, but as pano's and particularly for the theme, I think they are excellent. Looks like a real good lens. Of the two shots, I struggle to pick a preference.

Thanks!
As mentioned above both nice and it’s hard to pick one over the other but I am leaning to the second one

Either one of these great images Jon for cold, both really are crackers but if I had to pick it would be the second image.

Thanks guys, I ended up posting the first one in the main thread as I preffered the light in that one.

Two lovely cold landscapes. I’m sitting on the fence as both are equally as good.

Thanks!

What lovely views - our little bit of snow was pretty much gone by the time I got out to see it at the weekend! I liked them both the same at first glance, but on further viewing I'm leaning towards the second one because of the more interesting sky and the thicker and more textured snow in the foreground. The crop is a good choice for both.

Sorry to hear about your lens - is it repairable?

Thanks, I ended up going with the first one, as mentioned above. A bit of superglue should fix the lens, it only cost me 20 quid, but it's one of my sharpest lenses.

Cold
They both look very good to me (I wish I could take a good landscape photo). They both show the Cold theme.

Thanks.

They are both great landscapes, like many others I am struggling for a favourite for sure. But the mountains on the second just add that little extra.

I just wish the light hqd been bette for the second shot.

Super landscapes Jon, both very good indeed.(y)

The first image is fab....wonderful light, great colours and jolly nice composition.
I think I also prefer the second image however.
It seems more desolate and bleak, which for me makes it all the more compelling!
Also I love the tree you placed just off centre....very nice, and fits the theme perfectly.

Thanks, Gareth. I much preferred the content of the second shot, but preferred the light in the second.

As others have said, both excellent landscape shots. I'm with Andrea, the sky is more interesting in the second so that would be my choice.

Thanks, Bob, all the comments are indicating I should have posted the second shot in the main thread!

I like them both. They certainly speak 'cold'

I like the second better and think that a real letterbox crop would look great on it, taking most of the snow out and focusing on the browns for colour and giving the background more emphasis, but that is only my opinion

Very nice images

Thanks, Ian, will try out that crop.

Jon

Open, Plants, Nice green colour DOF is so very shallow and point of focus is a problem. Mouth, this is a nice shot, just enough detail for the theme, colours really help, hope your appointment went well.

Distant, perfect for the theme, lots of details and focus is spot on.

Cold, 2 very good images, very sharp, nice winter colours, difficult to choose, but the 2nd, no the 1st one, heck both are as good.

Pete

Thanks for the comments!

Two great shots mate. I’m leaning towards the second one as it gives an impression of isolation and the contrast in colours is great. Also I like that everything is in focus.

Thanks Garry.

It’s the first one for me Jon, it just has such a lovely light, but they are both beautiful.

Thanks Susie

There is no way I can choose between the two images.
well, if pushed, maybe #2 *maybe*, it has an old photo feel.

Another vote for the second one, I definitely should have posted that in the main thread!

A trip to Scotland, two weeks of a very nasty flu type illness, and I found myself 3 weeks behind......so here's a catch up, though not too happy about Object, which is some artificial flowers I saw in the woods on a walk the other day.

I will try and catch up on commenting in the next week or so.

Waiting

Waiting by Jon, on Flickr

Rough

Rough by Jon, on Flickr

Object

Object by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Three jolly decent images Jon, well done for catching up....hope you're feeling better.

Waiting: captured the frustration of waiting in traffic well, great detail and the colours are very nice.
Rough: I do like this image....great detail in the fluff textures of the ball, and the yellow really draws your eye into the image.
DoF really works well too - even at this short distance, you've achieved some nice separation. Great image.
Object: I think this image is terrific. I love the light and the colours....and while it's clearly an artificial flower, it still works as an image.
Very nice work Jon.(y)

Well done for catching up. I hope you're on the mend.

Waiting - A very apt shot for the theme. It seems to be all we do on the roads theses days!
Rough - A good rough shot although it looks a little under exposed on my monitor.
Object - As said above, I really like this shot. It all works well for me. Good colour and dappled light.

Three jolly decent images Jon, well done for catching up....hope you're feeling better.

Waiting: captured the frustration of waiting in traffic well, great detail and the colours are very nice.
Rough: I do like this image....great detail in the fluff textures of the ball, and the yellow really draws your eye into the image.
DoF really works well too - even at this short distance, you've achieved some nice separation. Great image.
Object: I think this image is terrific. I love the light and the colours....and while it's clearly an artificial flower, it still works as an image.
Very nice work Jon.(y)

Yes, recovered now, thanks. It was a nasty one. Thanks for the comments, I was pleased I managed to catch up, I could see it all slipping aw
ay.....
Good work throughout, nice contrasting in both ROUGH and OBJECT.

Thanks Bob

Well done for catching up. I hope you're on the mend.

Waiting - A very apt shot for the theme. It seems to be all we do on the roads theses days!
Rough - A good rough shot although it looks a little under exposed on my monitor.
Object - As said above, I really like this shot. It all works well for me. Good colour and dappled light.

Thanks for the comments. I actually took the Waiting shop in the right timeframe, then got flattened by flu. I forgot I'd taken thsi shot until I looked on my computer!
Great to have caught up again.

Waiting - does exactly what it says on the tin - can get very frustrating sometimes eh

Rough - a rough old tennis ball works just right for theme

Object - some sad old artificial flowers. The only colour in a drab season waiting to burst into life. Fits the theme

Wet - I really do like this. So much interest to it with the rain on the windscreen but the promise of something better outside

Hi Jon,

Distant - Nice idea, we have a very similar fridge too. Nice to see you have a Manx Cat on there too :D
Cold - I like the first one best, lovely with the sun hitting the top of the snow covered hills
Waiting - Good idea again, at least you didn't have too long to wait
Rough - lots of lovely rough textures here, I like the position of the ball in the frame and how it stands out against the brown leaves
Object - Only reading your comment and then looking closely did I realise they were fake leaves. Nice detail and I like the highlights and shadows. Strange thing to find in a wood
Wet - I really like this one, great reflection and the colours are lovely

Hope you are feeling better too :D

Love your photo for Wet. Perfect for the theme. I especially like the detail in the tree reflection and the way the OOF areas give as much interest as the main subject too. Very nice.

Hi Jon, glad you're feeling better. I've just had a nasty cold that knocked the stuffing out of me and has left me scrambling to catch up on a lost week :( Your last four images are all spot on for their themes and I especially like the textures in the ball and dead leaves in Rough, and the fantastic reflection and colours in the puddle for Wet, which is an excellent image in its own right as well as a good one for the theme.

Lovely reflection in the water.
The reflection image is superb! It’s like a watercolour. Gallery image for sure !
Some really interesting colours in the reflection, wonderful image. Very creative and perfectly fits the theme.
Nice reflection shot, it has a dreamy effect the way the edges are oof.
Good idea and great picture!

Thanks folks!
Well done with your catch up, I especially like Object, you’ve captured loads of lovely detail and texture.

Thanks Susie

Wet is a smasher, a very eye catching image, it has a surreal look about it, fab colour too.

Thanks, I was quite pleased how it turned out
Waiting - does exactly what it says on the tin - can get very frustrating sometimes eh

Rough - a rough old tennis ball works just right for theme

Object - some sad old artificial flowers. The only colour in a drab season waiting to burst into life. Fits the theme

Wet - I really do like this. So much interest to it with the rain on the windscreen but the promise of something better outside

Thanks for commenting!

Hi Jon,

Distant - Nice idea, we have a very similar fridge too. Nice to see you have a Manx Cat on there too :D
Cold - I like the first one best, lovely with the sun hitting the top of the snow covered hills
Waiting - Good idea again, at least you didn't have too long to wait
Rough - lots of lovely rough textures here, I like the position of the ball in the frame and how it stands out against the brown leaves
Object - Only reading your comment and then looking closely did I realise they were fake leaves. Nice detail and I like the highlights and shadows. Strange thing to find in a wood
Wet - I really like this one, great reflection and the colours are lovely

Hope you are feeling better too :D

Thanks for the comments!

Love your photo for Wet. Perfect for the theme. I especially like the detail in the tree reflection and the way the OOF areas give as much interest as the main subject too. Very nice.
Very good reflection shot, with some great colours in there.

Thanks for commenting! I am really enjoying the challenge.

Hi Jon, glad you're feeling better. I've just had a nasty cold that knocked the stuffing out of me and has left me scrambling to catch up on a lost week :( Your last four images are all spot on for their themes and I especially like the textures in the ball and dead leaves in Rough, and the fantastic reflection and colours in the puddle for Wet, which is an excellent image in its own right as well as a good one for the theme.

Yep, was a really nasty one, but better now. Hope you are too. Thanks for the comments!

Last edited:
Week 10-Free week

Whom would have thought thinking up an idea with no prompting would be so hard lol?
I ended up taking this yesterday, adding to my portfolio of mannequins. In keeping with all my shots this year, it's taken with a legacy manual focus lens, this time a Vivitar 28mm f2.0

Untitled by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice free shot Jon. There are some very interesting images t be had from shop windows. My brother who lives in London, is constantly taking images through windows and he sees some amazing subjects. Like it

That's an interesting and creative mono. I like the reflections but the line that goes towards the mouth is a bit of a distraction. The mannequin has almost a sinister look in her eye :eek:

Hi Aliengrove.

Waiting - Taken from inside a tinted window perchance?
The colours / DR seems muted where perhaps it shouldn't be. Works for the theme though.
Rough - A nice study of an old tennis ball. Looks in the condition out swingball tennis balls ended up after a year in the garden. I like the colours and the detail.
Object - Hmm, this doesn't work for me, nothing really conveys the theme, at least not for me.
Wet - Is it a Vaseline on the lens shot? I'm not sure about it...
Free Week - I really like this one. Very striking. B&W really suits it.

I like shop dummy shots. Maybe I said before that I went through a mannequin phase. There's just something about them which I can't put my finger on really, but which always makes them interesting shots.

Great mono portrait Jon!
(Is it a portrait if it's a mannequin?)
I love the processing and those reflections and splashes of light are really interesting.
Marvellous!:clap:

Thanks, Gareth!
Very interesting image, the processing works well, especially in black and white. The reflections add a lot to the image too.

Thanks Carl!

Nice free shot Jon. There are some very interesting images t be had from shop windows. My brother who lives in London, is constantly taking images through windows and he sees some amazing subjects. Like it

Cheers, Ian, Yes, shop windows have some interesting stuff in them!

That's an interesting and creative mono. I like the reflections but the line that goes towards the mouth is a bit of a distraction. The mannequin has almost a sinister look in her eye :eek:

Thanks. Yes, mannequins do look quite sinister sometimes.

Hi Aliengrove.

Waiting - Taken from inside a tinted window perchance?
The colours / DR seems muted where perhaps it shouldn't be. Works for the theme though.
Rough - A nice study of an old tennis ball. Looks in the condition out swingball tennis balls ended up after a year in the garden. I like the colours and the detail.
Object - Hmm, this doesn't work for me, nothing really conveys the theme, at least not for me.
Wet - Is it a Vaseline on the lens shot? I'm not sure about it...
Free Week - I really like this one. Very striking. B&W really suits it.

Thanks for the comments! On Wet, no Vaseline, it's a reflection in a puddle on a path. It's just oof stuff on the path.

I like shop dummy shots. Maybe I said before that I went through a mannequin phase. There's just something about them which I can't put my finger on really, but which always makes them interesting shots.

Thanks, Bob. Mannequins are one of my favourite subjects, maybe because I am useless at getting people to pose for shots!

I went down to Wales for a few days this week, took my camera and several lenses. My intention was to get a shot for Entrance while away, but I forgot to take any memory cards :rolleyes:
I did take a shot with my phone which fitted the theme, but since I want to take all the shots for the 52 this year with legacy lenses, decided to catch up when I got home. This one is taken with a Vivitar 28mm f2.0, and is SOOC, with the image set in camera to 16:9. I guess technically, it's an exit rather than an entrance.....I tried one form outside, but kept getting my own reflection in shot.

Entrance by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Indeed, as others said, nice and colourful. Works fine for me for an entrance

Catching up: Waiting - yep, i've waited in traffic like that on many an occasion, nice image. Rough and Object - really like the close up detail in these and the exposure in both is great. Wet - lovely reflection, gives it an almost abstract feel, love it. Free - a really nice composition, I do like the reflections inthe glass that kind of soften the image, looks good in mon too. Entrance - good composition and nice colours.

That's a nice shot for Entrance Jon. Lovely colours in the glass. Nice bit of framing. I think it would be nice to see with an even shallower DoF.

Very nice and colourful entrance shot Jon, good lighting and nice blur on the BG.
Entrance to the outside, it works! Like the colours and and background blur. Nice!
Very nice image Jon!
Bright, colourful, nicely exposed, well framed and on theme.... a 'boxes-ticked' factor of 10.
Nice work sir!(y)
nice pic the colours and good and framed well :)
Agree totally with previous comments: colours, bg blur and framing all make for a great image.

Thanks folks! I seem to be having toruble keeping up this year...

Catching up: Waiting - yep, i've waited in traffic like that on many an occasion, nice image. Rough and Object - really like the close up detail in these and the exposure in both is great. Wet - lovely reflection, gives it an almost abstract feel, love it. Free - a really nice composition, I do like the reflections inthe glass that kind of soften the image, looks good in mon too. Entrance - good composition and nice colours.

Thanks for the comments!
Great colours there Jon. Just enough DoF to make the glass stand out but still show what's outside.

Thanks Carl

I seem to be struggling with time this year for some reason, but finally managed to shoot something today. In keeping with my decision to shoot everything this year with adapted legacy lenses, this is shot using one of my favourites, a Helios 44-2, at about f16 and using 16mm extension tubes.

I will also endeavour to catch up on what everyone else has been doing.

Young growth

Young growth by Jon, on Flickr

Back