Jon's 2019 52- Week 17-Light and Week 18-Crowded

I find it a bit overpowering / cluttered.
Appreciate what you're aiming for and think you achieved it, but have you considered a tighter / close up with just one or two memories?
Yes, I played around with various crops. Perhaps should have gone with one shot a bit close.

Good idea, I would like the magnets a bit tighter together if you know what I mean

Hi Jon

New - Lovely new hobby for your wife:D I like the way the scene is set up on the table, the focus and colours are very nice but I think the garden in the bg detracts slightly. I don't know if a little more dof would have helped to make it a bit less obvious but I don't think a plain bg would have set scene so well

Clean - Very shiny. Lots of hours of polishing there. I like the close up and it very much suits the mono

Open - Has to be the new shoots opening for me. Lovely greens against the brown earth and the water drops add to the effect too

:D

I really like it, I think it perfectly captures the essence of the theme, bright, colourful, and eye catching, I like it a lot.

Thanks, Susie
Great idea for the theme, bright and colourful.

Thanks Bob
Good idea, I would like the magnets a bit tighter together if you know what I mean

I did think about rearranging the magnets, perhaps should have

Hi Jon

New - Lovely new hobby for your wife:D I like the way the scene is set up on the table, the focus and colours are very nice but I think the garden in the bg detracts slightly. I don't know if a little more dof would have helped to make it a bit less obvious but I don't think a plain bg would have set scene so well

Clean - Very shiny. Lots of hours of polishing there. I like the close up and it very much suits the mono

Open - Has to be the new shoots opening for me. Lovely greens against the brown earth and the water drops add to the effect too

:D

Thanks for the comments! With New, I deliberately went for reduced dof as I thought the garden would distract nore if it was in focus. With Open, the only reason I went for the shot I did was that quite a few people posted new growth, wanted to do something different. I also preferred the green shoots shot.

I think it’s one of those photos that catches your eye, the colours are fab. The idea behind the theme is great. Not too sure about cropping it though

Two good images for the Open theme, Jon. Both show good use of shallow DOF and I like the bold greens and water drops in the first one and the (literally) 'in yer face' close-up nature of #2.

Edit: I missed your image for Distant; that's a clever idea and a familiar sight in many kitchens :)

Last edited:
4 good solid entries there. I like the theme for distant, but it’s a little dull compared to your other 3 themes. I loved new, that’s a proper stock shot there. Clean is a great mono coversion and is lit really well.
Open mouth is nicely rendered with good colour.

Looks like you've been to a lot of interesting places! Fits the theme well and well taken. I don't think it's too saturated, looks just right. I think the edges of the image look a little cluttered though where some magnets go outside the frame. I wonder if it would look better if the ones that aren't fully in the image were taken off before the photo was taken? Great image though (y)

Open ~ two good shots I prefer the bluebells with the droplets on but the open wide shot is good too I like the shallow Dof
Distant ~ Lots of memories there very colourful

Distant: Unusual take on the theme so well done. Lots to look at. A nice colourful image. Not had magnets on the fridge since the children lived at home.

Great take on Distant Jon, fantastic colours against the white background of the fridge.

Very interesting image Jon.
It leads the eye on a really cool little journey vicariously through your fridge door!!
It's well lit, and a great concept.
Nice work!(y)

Thanks, Gareth!
I think it’s one of those photos that catches your eye, the colours are fab. The idea behind the theme is great. Not too sure about cropping it though

I should probably have rearranged the magnets

Two good images for the Open theme, Jon. Both show good use of shallow DOF and I like the bold greens and water drops in the first one and the (literally) 'in yer face' close-up nature of #2.

Thanks for the comments!

Edit: I missed your image for Distant; that's a clever idea and a familiar sight in many kitchens :)

We always look for the tackiest magnets we can find!

4 good solid entries there. I like the theme for distant, but it’s a little dull compared to your other 3 themes. I loved new, that’s a proper stock shot there. Clean is a great mono coversion and is lit really well.

Open mouth is nicely rendered with good colour.

Thanks! I wasn't too happy with Distant myself.

Looks like you've been to a lot of interesting places! Fits the theme well and well taken. I don't think it's too saturated, looks just right. I think the edges of the image look a little cluttered though where some magnets go outside the frame. I wonder if it would look better if the ones that aren't fully in the image were taken off before the photo was taken? Great image though (y)

Thanks, Carl. yes, I should have moved the magnets around a bit.

Week 5-Cold

Been a bit busy this week, up in Scotland visiting relatives, and the weather hasn't been great, except for on the drive up, when I took this shot, which has been cropped to a pano. It's also the last image I took with my Minolta PF 55mm f1.8 before the front of the lens fell off!

At home I'd tried something clever which didn't work out at all, so not bothered posting it.

Cold by Jon, on Flickr

I also took this one in Glen Orchy, but the weather wasn't really playing. This one is a pano of 3 images taken with the Zeiss Distagon T* 28mm f2.0 that I've used for all my 52 shots so far.

Cold ii by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Those are both very nice landscapes - I guess if I were picky about them in that genre there are crops that might be worth trying, but as pano's and particularly for the theme, I think they are excellent. Looks like a real good lens. Of the two shots, I struggle to pick a preference.

As mentioned above both nice and it’s hard to pick one over the other but I am leaning to the second one

Two lovely cold landscapes. I’m sitting on the fence as both are equally as good.

What lovely views - our little bit of snow was pretty much gone by the time I got out to see it at the weekend! I liked them both the same at first glance, but on further viewing I'm leaning towards the second one because of the more interesting sky and the thicker and more textured snow in the foreground. The crop is a good choice for both.

Sorry to hear about your lens - is it repairable?

Cold
They both look very good to me (I wish I could take a good landscape photo). They both show the Cold theme.

They are both great landscapes, like many others I am struggling for a favourite for sure. But the mountains on the second just add that little extra.

Super landscapes Jon, both very good indeed.(y)

The first image is fab....wonderful light, great colours and jolly nice composition.
I think I also prefer the second image however.
It seems more desolate and bleak, which for me makes it all the more compelling!
Also I love the tree you placed just off centre....very nice, and fits the theme perfectly.

As others have said, both excellent landscape shots. I'm with Andrea, the sky is more interesting in the second so that would be my choice.

I like them both. They certainly speak 'cold'

I like the second better and think that a real letterbox crop would look great on it, taking most of the snow out and focusing on the browns for colour and giving the background more emphasis, but that is only my opinion

Very nice images

Jon

Open, Plants, Nice green colour DOF is so very shallow and point of focus is a problem. Mouth, this is a nice shot, just enough detail for the theme, colours really help, hope your appointment went well.

Distant, perfect for the theme, lots of details and focus is spot on.

Cold, 2 very good images, very sharp, nice winter colours, difficult to choose, but the 2nd, no the 1st one, heck both are as good.

Pete

Two great shots mate. I’m leaning towards the second one as it gives an impression of isolation and the contrast in colours is great. Also I like that everything is in focus.

Back