Journey to the edge

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Managed to get out up into the Peak District for sunrise on New Years day after dropping two of my kids off at work to save them both massive taxi fares :)

Was greeted by low cloud and drizzle and had to wait until around 2 hours after sunrise for any decent light.

I was surprised how busy it was on the roads and up on the paths.

The best light / shot I got on the day was looking towards Stanage Edge - I had to keep moving to let people past on the path :)

Journey to the Edge by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Im not sure how i feel about this to be honest.
To me it seems like you have two decent pictures (top half and bottom half) in one picture.
I would like to see a High Contrast black and white bottom half of the image. I think that would be a very powerful image in its own right.

I am always looking for fore, mid and background when I am out with the camera. I also need the path to lead to something :)

But - that is just me and I can see your point.

I hadn't considered black and white as the light / colour was so nice on the leading grass - but I will have a play around when I put the computer on next time :)

I like it. It makes me want to be there, walking up that path,rather than on this train to Stoke on Trent I am currently sat on as I type this!! The light on the rock face is nice and you’ve handled the grass well, I tend to over cook the yellows and greens of grass like that. I’d maybe remove mr red coat from the top of the rocks though. Cheers

I like it. It makes me want to be there, walking up that path,rather than on this train to Stoke on Trent I am currently sat on as I type this!! The light on the rock face is nice and you’ve handled the grass well, I tend to over cook the yellows and greens of grass like that. I’d maybe remove mr red coat from the top of the rocks though. Cheers

I left Mr red coat in as I liked a human element up on the ridge and he / she wasn't distracting to the image when first viewing but gives the viewer something to find as they work up the photograph. That was the plan anyway - not sure I pulled it off 100% :)

Last edited:
Knowing the area well, I love this view.
The path really pulls you in.

Nothing like New Year’s Day to get (bored) people (with nothing else to do) out. I noticed the same where I was! Never seen so many people.

I like it, the path leads you in onto Stanage Edge. The moody sky works well too. Much better than a clear blue sky or whispey clouds.

Nothing like New Year’s Day to get (bored) people (with nothing else to do) out. I noticed the same where I was! Never seen so many people.

I like it, the path leads you in onto Stanage Edge. The moody sky works well too. Much better than a clear blue sky or whispey clouds.
I think I saw a couple of families having a picnic breakfast up on Higger Tor just after the sun came up :O

Very nice shot, spot on composition with a good lead in, some nice colours, and some pleasant foreground detail.(y)

George.

Back