Jpeg formats

Name
Malcolm
Edit My Images
Yes
My wife uses an Epson Picturemate 500 for printing. Recently I put three jpeg on a CF card, one from a coolpix 5100 and two saved as jpegs in elements 7from CR2 files from a 7d. The printer can only "see" the coolpix file, showing only one file on the card. Deleting that file shows none. Why can't the card reader on the printer "see" the two jpegs "made" by elements?

I've had this before with the small Dye Sub printers. Can't remember how I got around it though, sorry. Perhaps it was the type of Jpeg compression or the photo dimensions or something. Maybe someone else will know?

Try opening them in PSP,PS or Corel you can also try Irfanview download it free.

I can open the files, its just that the printers' inbuilt card reader can't see the two jpegs saved from the Raw files. I'd try to print from the pc but the Epson has a b****** USB socket.

Are the 2 that can't be seen 16 bit images rather than 8bit? I think it's something like Image>mode in Photoshop.

Are the 2 that can't be seen 16 bit images rather than 8bit? I think it's something like Image>mode in Photoshop.

PS dosn't give the option to save as JPEG unless it is in 8bit mode. Elements is probably the same.

Are the file extensions all the same? As theres a few different variations for extensions that can be used for the JPEG format. It shouldnt normaly make a difference as programs will scan for the whole subset of valid extentions. However I had a problem once when creating a web site, where the image extentions were written differently and needed to be referenced correctly.
JPG
Jpg
JPEG
Jpeg
jpe

The file extensions are all JPEG. I thought it may have been a size issue but they're all between 2-3 meg. The other new thing is that previous raw files I've converted and printed on this printer have been from a 350d, these are from a 7d. I was also using elements 5 previously.

It's a long shot but I have had an issue with CF (and SD) cards with formatting and not showing everything.

Had similar issue at my local photo printer, their computers wouldn't read files above 10mb (I think)
Maybe your files are too big for the printer to read?

Thanks Adam but I did mention that all three files are between 2-3 meg each. and the one that works is not the smallest. To prove I'm not feeding you duff info I have just printed one of the offending photos on an old Stylus photo. The problem is with the file recognition on the Picturemate. epson's website reminds me of a chocolate fireguard.

Back