Jude my Lab

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
Hi All

Been having a mess around this morning with new flash and would like some C&C from folks on this please..... Go on please be as brutal as possible....

Thanks for looking and hopefully comments.

Matt

This is very good shot imho.

On my screen it looks slightly oversharpened, but it doesn't change my perception of it. If I would be super picky, you have some artifacts here and there and I'd try to remove them.

Black labs are not my favourite subject to photograph, but it's only due to conditions I had to work with - every single time I take one out (I work at kennels and was somewhat 'forced' to shoot dogs for customers) - every single time I have one, sun is very harsh.

This however I like.

I think you've done a really good job. I find it quite hard to photograph my black lab. The good results i do get are more luck than skill.

Impeccable in my book! (y)(y)(y)

Thank you for the replies, I have had another go at editing it and have slightly dropped the sharpening and have removed the one bits of dust/fluff off him. Any better? Ps I am only editing on my laptop - will get a calibrated monitor eventually.

Last edited:
This is very good shot imho.

On my screen it looks slightly oversharpened, but it doesn't change my perception of it. If I would be super picky, you have some artifacts here and there and I'd try to remove them.

Black labs are not my favourite subject to photograph, but it's only due to conditions I had to work with - every single time I take one out (I work at kennels and was somewhat 'forced' to shoot dogs for customers) - every single time I have one, sun is very harsh.

This however I like.

Thank you for taking the time to post(y)

I think you've done a really good job. I find it quite hard to photograph my black lab. The good results i do get are more luck than skill.

Thank you

That's a lovely shot :clap:

I want to take some shots of our Chocolate Lab (big ask, Chocy's aren't known for their long attention spans. :rolleyes: ) Can I ask what was the set-up for your shot? In your first post you also said you'd used a new flash...was it just the one? Any reflectors used? How did you have the flash set up? Apologies for all the questions but I'd like to get something at least somewhere close to what you've achieved.

That's a lovely shot :clap:

I want to take some shots of our Chocolate Lab (big ask, Chocy's aren't known for their long attention spans. :rolleyes: ) Can I ask what was the set-up for your shot? In your first post you also said you'd used a new flash...was it just the one? Any reflectors used? How did you have the flash set up? Apologies for all the questions but I'd like to get something at least somewhere close to what you've achieved.

Hi

I was using a godox ad600 in a softbox, which was positioned to the left of where I was shooting. Jude was around 2.5m from background which was a black fabric. Only used the one light, I would use a reflector to the right of him if I were to shoot it again, just to throw abit of light on his right hand side. I intended for him to "disappear" into the background but have been advised to try a reflector the next time.
Flash was only 2/3 foot away from him on a lowish power. I'm sure I pulled down the blinds to kill as much ambient light as possible. I bought some "squeakers" off eBay which I put in my mouth and used to attract his attention. However in the end I was waving some sliced ham in my left hand whilst shooting with my right hand:LOL:.
Hope this helps.

Matt

Hi

I was using a godox ad600 in a softbox, which was positioned to the left of where I was shooting. Jude was around 2.5m from background which was a black fabric. Only used the one light, I would use a reflector to the right of him if I were to shoot it again, just to throw abit of light on his right hand side. I intended for him to "disappear" into the background but have been advised to try a reflector the next time.
Flash was only 2/3 foot away from him on a lowish power. I'm sure I pulled down the blinds to kill as much ambient light as possible. I bought some "squeakers" off eBay which I put in my mouth and used to attract his attention. However in the end I was waving some sliced ham in my left hand whilst shooting with my right hand:LOL:.
Hope this helps.

Matt

That's great, thanks Matt. (y)

Have to say our dog Mac would be far too busy chasing the ham to sit still. You know what they say about Labradors...a life support system for a stomach.:D

Haha, I just cut up a few slices into squares. I'd take a shot or two and then give him a piece just to keep him interested.;)

Back