Wild Jumping Spider

Edit My Images
Yes
This is a jumping spider.

Its head reminds me a little bit of the alien from Mars Attacks.

This is quite a close-up photo, in reality it was about the size of a 1p/10cent piece.
Still, when you are staring at a huge image of a spider through the viewfinder and it abruptly JUMPS AROUND THE LEAF... well, I shrieked like a little girl and nearly dropped the camera.

Jumping Spider
by David, on Flickr

Lovely image and welcome to TP David.

Did it jump at your lens?
Your ring flash could benefit from some diffusion though lifting the shadows and lowering the highlights can help a lot.

Last edited:
:agree: but nice shot (y)

Lovely image and welcome to TP David.

Did it jump at your lens?
Your ring flash could benefit from some diffusion though lifting the shadows and lowering the highlights can help a lot.

It didn't jump at the lens, just around the leaf. I shrieked like a little girl and frightened some nearby joggers too. Who then proceeded to laugh at me :)

Do you have any recommendations for how to diffuse a ring flash? I chose the ring flash so I didn't need to carry around big diffuser kit to be honest, but if it would be tangibly better I'd definitely reconsider.

It didn't jump at the lens, just around the leaf. I shrieked like a little girl and frightened some nearby joggers too. Who then proceeded to laugh at me :)

Do you have any recommendations for how to diffuse a ring flash? I chose the ring flash so I didn't need to carry around big diffuser kit to be honest, but if it would be tangibly better I'd definitely reconsider.

Have look at this thread for ideas on diffusers and show us your rog too.
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/show-us-your-macro-rig.132158/

My rig is essentially a Yongnuo flash through a regular ring light, no diffuser at all. I did have a twin-armed flash kit with diffuser boxes but it was much heavier and didn't produce much better results :(

Then it snapped and fell to pieces :D

Maybe I need to get a better set.

Back