SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
It's finally almost June and summer is here. Sadly I cannot partake in the excellence that is on offer at the moment so will post some highlights from what is one of my favourite months in the entire year.

The Torren Lochan

_DSC1730 - Version 3 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The Famous Falls

_DSC4231 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Lochan Na h-Achlaise

_DSC2509 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Lochan Na h-Achlaise again

_DSC2548 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Big Skies above Lochan na Fola

_DSC3741 - Version 3 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Sunset on the River Coe

_DSC3700 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

All excellent, Steve.

For me The Famous Falls and Sunset on the River Coe are particularly good, but Misty Morning is a gem.

Dave

Misty Morning is beautiful, easily the stand out image from the whole set for me.

Ha!!!

It’s my least favourite and the story behind it was the weather forecast f***ed it up and it was meant to be sunny with some clouds above.

If mist was forecasted I doubt I’d have even hit the road. I was hopping mad at the time but after an all nighter keen to take back something.

My personal favourite is the Buachaille Etive Mor reflections shot - all my dreams came true that morning for sure.

Last edited:
Lovely set, makes me miss it even more.

Misty morning for me too but the Buachaille shot runs it close. I have to get that Torren shot.

It's an underrated month, one of my favourites too but with this warm and dry spring the landscape has been in June for a while. Of these I really like the last one but would look to darken it a bit - the hill especially seems a bit bright and the greens look like they're blown on this screen (iMac Pro 5k)

It's an underrated month, one of my favourites too but with this warm and dry spring the landscape has been in June for a while. Of these I really like the last one but would look to darken it a bit - the hill especially seems a bit bright and the greens look like they're blown on this screen (iMac Pro 5k)

I’ll recheck the histograms on each channel and where I’ve set my black/white and mid points in levels but pretty sure the RAW has headway in each so if it’s out it’s fixable - certainly nothing blinked in the back of camera preview at the time.

@Scirocco_09

Reckeched - none of the green pixels even read 200 out of 255 - and all the channels are well within the 255 range...

What it might be is colour space - I work in adobe colour space - and export to rgb colour space can change out the colours slightly - particularly ones towards the edge of the histogram. The luminance (overall) never exceeds 210 on the hill side. I'd argue in a technical sense it's lacking real whites but I tend to prefer working in the midtones.

What browser are you using - if its chrome it's not colour managed - some of these look weird on chrome but fine on firefox which is colour managed. On my little chromebook some of these look a little too red in cast - and on iPhone, Mac totally fine.

Last edited:
Great set Steve.
Looking forward to getting back up there before too long hopefully.

From tomorrow we can - the advice is against travelling more the 5mi from home but it’s only advice. It’s not a legal requirement and as such I fully intend to hit the Glen.

There’s no risk of catching or spreading the virus from Wuhan at 4am or 10pm in Glencoe-no one is about. I’d be wary about going at midday and weekends but a Tuesday morning - totally fine.

I’m gearing up to have socially distanced photography from tomorrow.

Last edited:
From tomorrow we can - the advice is against travelling more the 5mi from home but it’s only advice. It’s not a legal requirement and as such I fully intend to hit the Glen.

There’s no risk of catching or spreading the virus from Wuhan at 4am or 10pm in Glencoe-no one is about. I’d be wary about going at midday and weekends but a Tuesday morning - totally fine.

I’m gearing up to have socially distanced photography from tomorrow.
The problem is if everyone has the same idea it will be mobbed during the day.....and if the cops see you at 4am they'll likely want to know where you're going....

Last edited:
The problem is if everyone has the same idea it will be mobbed during the day.....and if the cops see you at 4am they'll likely want to know where you're going....

They won’t stop you - it’s only recommended that you stay within 5 miles of your home. I’ll take a punt on Lochan Na Stainge etc being dead at 4am on a week morning. It always is and always will be.

and if the cops see you at 4am they'll likely want to know where you're going....

My only worry is that your number plate will get flagged by one of the many surveillance cameras or even your phone will give you away and the commies will come after you looking to make an example. All is of course is totally ridiculous because it is already free for all in all of England, with over 1000 miles covered personally and still no expressive Wuhan virus to boast about. You lot should bombard your dictator with lots of love letters and vote her out at the next opportunity.

My only worry is that your number plate will get flagged by one of the many surveillance cameras or even your phone will give you away and the commies will come after you looking to make an example. All is of course is totally ridiculous because it is already free for all in all of England, with over 1000 miles covered personally and still no expressive Wuhan virus to boast about. You lot should bombard your dictator with lots of love letters and vote her out at the next opportunity.

I’m admittedly slightly worried about car vandalism - remember where you park for Torren. On the way back to the car last night the scoul I got from some yocal was something to behold but one man on his own going to/from his home and not encountering anyway will not import or export the Wuhan virus from there.

Legally bar wales you can drive anywhere you want and any time you want in our country and without any fear or legal or reputational damage.

Judging by the number of cars on Loch Lomond many are.

See shot 1 - it’s untakable now - whole load of trees down so that angle is ruined. You’ve still got the classic angle of Torren and more on that when I post “July in Glencoe” later this month where I’ll showcase the best ever pictures taken there.

Last edited:
For me it’s the first shot of post 2

It is for me too

I thought 3700 would be the one for you.

Not at all really. If you had some light on the distant mountains and cut off a good third on the right that would be an easy pass for me but I reckon that's pretty hard to time, certainly not in June, more like in January. It may be worth a try when the time comes.

I’m admittedly slightly worried about car vandalism - remember where you park for Torren. On the way back to the car last night the scoul I got from some yocal was something to behold but one man on his own going to/from his home and not encountering anyway will not import or export the Wuhan virus from there.

Legally bar wales you can drive anywhere you want and any time you want in our country and without any fear or legal or reputational damage.

Judging by the number of cars on Loch Lomond many are.

See shot 1 - it’s untakable now - whole load of trees down so that angle is ruined. You’ve still got the classic angle of Torren and more on that when I post “July in Glencoe” later this month where I’ll showcase the best ever pictures taken there.

My passat is quite wrecked by local driving and parking experts and some by myself so I'm not too worried any more about the looks; you have to have one rough looking but otherwise decent car to get to dodgy places.
Technically I think they are saying staying overnight (ie camping) is not back on the table yet. In Cornwall I can see many of the hidden and quiet laybys covered with vegetation so that would be quite safe in the dead of the night; but park in Newquay seafront and you've got it coming even in normal times... I've done well in Italy and Switzerland over the years and must have saved £1000s and all the hassle of driving to and from the hotels at stupid o'clock.

I don't want to ruin this thread with political nonsense, but I doubt many will be taking political advice from you. :)

Please don't go there and do as you wish at your own peril if you actually enjoy it (doubt it, but nothing makes sense anymore so maybe you actually do). There is plenty of nonsense in another heavily censored section. Please feel free to spill it all out over there and PERSONALLY LEAVE ME ALONE!

I don't want to ruin this thread with political nonsense, but I doubt many will be taking political advice from you. :)

On the contrary - this is one of the best threads I’ve seen in a while :)

You know how I vote and my views so no need to go over old ground :)

Skye tomorrow - unless the forecast changes. Because I can and it’s good and right to take photos in this amazing weather.

Last edited:
On the contrary - this is one of the best threads I’ve seen in a while :)

You know how I vote and my views so no need to go over old ground :)

Skye tomorrow - unless the forecast changes. Because I can and it’s good and right to take photos in this amazing weather.
What time you planning to set off?
I'll likely head up Glencoe at some point this week.
We should have been on Skye last week for 5 days, but obviously it was cancelled, and they wouldn't allow us to rebook as the cottage owners mum is one of the residents in the nursing home with the massive number of covid cases, so they don't know when they're likely to be reopening as it's not a priority for them.

What time you planning to set off?
I'll likely head up Glencoe at some point this week.
We should have been on Skye last week for 5 days, but obviously it was cancelled, and they wouldn't allow us to rebook as the cottage owners mum is one of the residents in the nursing home with the massive number of covid cases, so they don't know when they're likely to be reopening as it's not a priority for them.

About 11pm tonight. That’ll get me there for 4am - maybe a bit before and enough time to get into position.

I’ll be home for mid morning. Straight to bed and up again for the evening to Glencoe and an overnight in the car at an undisclosed location for sunrise on Tuesday.

Summer is without a doubt my favourite season to photograph Scotland and even if the shots aren’t good I’ll have had a blast. I enjoy driving and like the warmth. Just been out for a 10mi walk in the sun tapps aff it was mega

Last edited:
I'm curious Stephen, why the new recent guidance regarding travel doesn't apply to you?
It's deeply concerning not just for myself but our community (which you referred to as yocals, a derogatory term used to imply we're backward or dim witted) to learn people are needlessly travelling throughout the Highlands, and in your case making several stop offs during your journey. One of those stop offs a known coronavirus hot spot, namely Skye. This is our home, due to adherence of strict lock down measures we kept the Highlands relatively coronavirus free to protect our elderly, vulnerable and limited health care resources. Nearest hospital is a 100 mile plus journey for some Highlanders. My nearest ventilator is 70 miles away.

I've added the recent advice from gov.scot regarding travel. I realise it's advice only but the Scottish government is recommending everyone comply to fight and beat what is a highly contagious deadly disease which has claimed over 36,000 UK lives so far. This is exactly how contagions spread, stop or limit the movement of people, stop the spread. If everyone selfishly ignored the advice we'll be back at the beginning again. The Highlands aren't ready for tourist travel just yet.
What isn't included in the advice the government ask you to adhere to below is the 5 mile from home guidance.unless your travel is essential. Not looking for an argument or to cause animosity but it's this sort of abuse of the Highlands (at the beginning some saw the Highlands as a virus free haven to escape to from cities or built up areas) during lock down measures that deeply alarmed our community.

Directly copied from www.gov.scot published 28th May.

Staying at home and going out
You should stay at home as much as possible. You should only leave the house for very limited purposes, for example:
  • shopping for basic necessities (such as food and medicine) and at other shops that are open
  • exercise and other outdoor activity alone or with members of 1 other household at a time
  • to use outdoor spaces for other recreational purposes, for example to sit or relax alone or with members of 1 other household at a time
  • to ensure basic animal welfare needs are met, including taking dogs out when necessary
  • any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person
  • travelling for work purposes, but only where you cannot work from home
  • to access recycling or waste disposal services, for example, local authority household waste recycling centres
When doing these activities, you should ensure you are 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household.
These measures must be followed by EVERYONE.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/c...e-and-away-from-others/pages/staying-at-home/

My elderly parents live in Fort William, they haven't left their house in 10 weeks. My partner is working from home, she hasn't left for 8 weeks less fortnightly journeys for supplies. I have only left the house for essential work purposes, we live in a isolated location just outside Fort William. We took these measures, like so many others did, to protect not only ourselves but others in the community. We didn't make these sacrifices so folks could rampage their way around our home land in pursuit of a photograph against government guidance. Just saying. :)

Also copied from same website....

Travel for exercise, recreation and to meet friends and family outdoors

You should avoid crowded places where physical distancing may be difficult.

For this reason, our advice is that you should stay within your local area when you go outside for exercise or other activities.

As a guide, rather than a fixed limit, 5 miles from your home would be within your local area. This is to reduce the risk that places such as beaches or popular beauty spots could become crowded and make physical distancing harder to maintain. For that reason we would not encourage the re-opening of car parks that are currently closed, other than a phased re-opening to support local travel.

You should use your judgement - if somewhere is likely to be busy, you should avoid going there – and if you arrive somewhere and it is busy, alter your plans and consider going somewhere else that is quieter. You should also not travel to places for exercise or recreation where you would need to travel by ferry.

It is acceptable to travel outside your local area to meet members of another household in an outdoor space such as a private garden, but you should use your judgement about how far to travel. Keep in mind that the purpose of the continuing restrictions is to prevent the transmission of the virus, including to those we care about.

For this reason, you should avoid long journeys that would require you to use indoor facilities such as toilets while away from home, as the risk of transmitting the virus is greater indoors, and the virus could be transmitted by or to you when you touch surfaces.

Why is travelling to isolated locations where there will be no contact with other persons, and no stop overs where contact would be made with others, and no requirement to use indoor facilities putting anyone at risk?

The government website states that the 5 miles is purely a guideline to avoid beauty spots becoming overrun making social distancing difficult. Again, 1 individual taking photos in isolated locations is not likely to result in anything becoming overrun and making social distancing difficult.

As the lockdown reduces further we will all need to get used to more travel and visitors.
I live near some beaches and we've already seen more visitors, but they are all keeping their distances, and there are no cafes or pubs to congregate in.
I'd be less concerned about a photographer visiting an isolated part of our county than those visiting the beach.

My elderly parents live in Fort William, they haven't left their house in 10 weeks.

That essentially makes them "safe" then. Both Steve and Bob can go circles round their house and that wouldn't change a thing, so why not?

Except staying indoors for so long will leave your immune system crippled and vitamin D levels dangerously low so that even common cold can be quite dangerous to all of you now. You will NEVER get it walking all alone in the hills.

My nearest ventilator is 70 miles away.

Believe me you want to maintain that distance at all costs.

you should avoid long journeys that would require you to use indoor facilities such as toilets while away from home

Toilet = some stretch of roadside :) If it was ebola, then sure.

We didn't make these sacrifices so folks could rampage their way around our home land in pursuit of a photograph against government guidance. Just saying.

The economy had to be destroyed for good and you were the accessory; that seems to be the main point. 100,000s of people lost their livelihood with many more to come. Those jobs are not coming back any time soon.

I still don't get it why Wuhan virus is so much more dangerous and fearsome in Scotland than in England... or why anything should be different over there at all.

Right. I’m on Skye. I didn’t encounter a yocal, foreigner or anyone else on the way here. It’s a short 4hr drive. No need to even stop the car until I’m on location other than a p*** in a lay-by.

I’ve neither transmitted nor received the Wuhan virus as it’s been impossible as there’s simply no one around at 4am in the remote Scottish highlands.

Car was filled before I left, won’t need petrol until I’m back. Ate before I left, will eat once home so I’ll encounter no-one on the way back. I’ve got my shots. I’ll by home for 10am

So - I made a judgment call. The right one. Life goes on and despite the shrill “stay at home” advice - it’s simply advice and not a legal requirement. A common sense approach totally mitigates all risk of catching/transmitting the Wuhan virus - hence the guidance that we can actually travel.

Last edited:
I still don't get it why Wuhan virus is so much more dangerous and fearsome in Scotland than in England... or why anything should be different over there at all.
It isn't. It's the same virus.
Scotland is on a different timeline to England, and are being more cautious for a reason.
I hope I'm wrong, but I think Boris is now rushing things, and may regret not taking a slower approach like Scotland and Wales.

Back