Jurassic Coast

Hi Rick, composition isn't bad, although I'd have wanted to get a little more of the foreground rocks in if possible & put the horizon a touch higher. The thing that really doesn't help is that the light is just dull, and there's nothing you can easily do about that except re-shoot in better (not necessarily stronger) light.

Hi Rick, composition isn't bad, although I'd have wanted to get a little more of the foreground rocks in if possible & put the horizon a touch higher. The thing that really doesn't help is that the light is just dull, and there's nothing you can easily do about that except re-shoot in better (not necessarily stronger) light.
Hi Toni
Thanks for the advice. I never get chance to get the camera out on the beach, we are holidaying down this way, but I can see why folks love doing it. We are parked up on top of a cliff and the views are great. I might get down again hopefully before we move on.

Somewhere on Lyme Regis beach , West of the Cobb and in the sand below the high water mark, is a short stretch of railway line. Makes an interesting pair of leading lines with a wide angle lens! Not seen them for a few years but haven't looked for them either! Must have a wander along that side when there are fewer people around in Autumn.

Taken with my Sony RX100 IV this afternoon.
View attachment 249171
I like the colours in this, and I don't really agree that the light is "dull". Overcast conditions can be very good for the right kind of shot, particularly if the cloud is not too thick and there is still some directionality to the light. Check out Paul Wakefield's landscape work, you'll hardly find a single shot taken in direct light. The main problem here to my eye is that you don't seem to be sure whether you're more interested in the land or the sky, and there's a lot going on. Even if you just chopped off the top half of the sky and the left hand third of everything into a 5:4, I think your intent would be clearer. Ideally, as Toni says, a bit higher would probably have helped, so that fewer rocks were touching each other. It can be very difficult to find a really strong composition when there are so many rocks, but if you get that right, the light won't be a big problem, IMO.

Back