Just a few from Colchester Zoo

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to colchester zoo yestetday for one of their evening openings. Highly recommended as the place comes to life after normal closing times it seems.

Had the family with me so didn't have much time before being dragged off to the next enclosure, but these are some of my better results.

Image-024 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-007 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-015 by David Walker, on Flickr

Thank you kindly, I was fortunate that as I arrived into the Lion enclosure he got up and moved over to a spot where the light was being dappled by foliage.

Love the Lion shot, but is it just me in that he looks a bit dejected/depressed, would seem a shame if he is as he would no doubt prefer to be running wild.
Then again I had a domestic cat that always looked grumpy, he lived to be 17 so I think he must have been ok, maybe same here? What's it look like in mono?

Love the Lion shot, but is it just me in that he looks a bit dejected/depressed, would seem a shame if he is as he would no doubt prefer to be running wild.
Then again I had a domestic cat that always looked grumpy, he lived to be 17 so I think he must have been ok, maybe same here? What's it look like in mono?
I'm not really sure, he does look glum, but then he has always looked like that. He is the only lion I have seen up close so always just assumed they are not as cheery as Disney make out, the Lion King being my only other reference. :LOL:

:) Fair comment.

Nice shots.

I live in Colchester, but haven’t been to the zoo in years. I really must rectify that.

i would frame that...its tops!!
the lighting is spot on and the attitude is fully royal

I like the expression on the Binturong (#2), but it looks as if it has a stick through its neck!

i would frame that...its tops!!
the lighting is spot on and the attitude is fully royal

Thank you kindly! Looking back at the lion image, it doesn't have quite the dark and subdued look that I originally thought, not sure if I am using a different screen and the calibration is a bit off, but have gone back and had a quick re-edit to darken the background a little and get it back to what I originally had in mind.

Lion-001 by David Walker, on Flickr

And also a quick B&W conversion, normally I am a big fan and think everything looks best in B&W, but I think this is one of my exceptions.

Lion-002 by David Walker, on Flickr

I like the expression on the Binturong (#2), but it looks as if it has a stick through its neck!
Thank you. I have been to this zoo many times and never seen it, so would definitely recommend an evening visit to any zoo if there is an opportunity to do so.
The alignment of the tufts of hair on its ears reminds me of the old arrow fancy dress prop. :LOL:

1571039805670.png

Thank you kindly! Looking back at the lion image, it doesn't have quite the dark and subdued look that I originally thought, not sure if I am using a different screen and the calibration is a bit off, but have gone back and had a quick re-edit to darken the background a little and get it back to what I originally had in mind.

Lion-001 by David Walker, on Flickr

And also a quick B&W conversion, normally I am a big fan and think everything looks best in B&W, but I think this is one of my exceptions.

by David Walker, on Flickr

hi David....prefer the suede effect coloured one...

Kenya Boy Rex sends his regards...

rex-11 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back