Just a pole and a Sunset

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
Happened outside our house, so pretty much a 'grab the camera' occassion - just wish there was another wire going to the top-left corner :(

Sunset_1_20181024-DSC_3770 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

As someone who spent 10 years up and down these things it amazes me that in terms of delivering a telephone service, little has changed in 50+ years. Still wood & wire. I'd have maybe manoevered myself to hide that wire that runs almost vertically with the pole, but otherwise I like it's subtle (to me) beauty & the colour of the sky.

Thanks for taking me down memory lane for 5 minutes. :)

beautiful colours

And all over in a flash! Thanks.

As someone who spent 10 years up and down these things it amazes me that in terms of delivering a telephone service, little has changed in 50+ years. Still wood & wire. I'd have maybe manoevered myself to hide that wire that runs almost vertically with the pole, but otherwise I like it's subtle (to me) beauty & the colour of the sky.

Thanks for taking me down memory lane for 5 minutes. :)

Now, here's a thing....

I started employment as a Post Office Engineer (Apprentice) in the distant past of 1970. Within a few weeks, probably to this very week, all I could ever see was telephone poles. Prior to that I'd never even noticed the things! 48 years later they still influence my vision!
I've even spent (collectively) about 6 monts of my life at Bletchley Park and was taught how to regulate 'open' wires whilst up said poles. All before we all knew what hapened at Bletchley... used to walk passed Hut 8 on my way to breakfast.

You're right; so much technology all hanging on cadmium copper bonded to steel; multi-pair, twist jointed jelly filled U/G cables. The mind boggles. I ended my BT days teaching digital switching at BT's technical training college at Stone (Yarnfield).

As for the near vertical wire, impossible because there were other obstructions that would come into frame. That's why I feel an extra 'dropwire' to the top-left corner would help to balance it. Clone tool to the rescue I thnk.

Last edited:
I started employment as a Post Office Engineer (Apprentice) in the distant past of 1970

'88 for me so I missed open wires (well I took a fair few down) and my jollies were spent at Shirley & Shirehampton. Subs App & Line for about 7 years until they added jointing to our skills, then it was up poles and down holes! Did a year as SFIO which was a ton of fun before getting out in '99 and getting into mobile telecoms with Cellnet.

It's nice to see the DP in line with the steps for a change. The amount that weren't always astounded me... Along with the ones put up by people who must have been 2'6" based on the position of the standing steps.

Ah well, that's enough abbreviations for now. All I have left is a final selector for a text tone and a pair of 81s. :)

'88 for me so I missed open wires (well I took a fair few down) and my jollies were spent at Shirley & Shirehampton. Subs App & Line for about 7 years until they added jointing to our skills, then it was up poles and down holes! Did a year as SFIO which was a ton of fun before getting out in '99 and getting into mobile telecoms with Cellnet.

It's nice to see the DP in line with the steps for a change. The amount that weren't always astounded me... Along with the ones put up by people who must have been 2'6" based on the position of the standing steps.

Ah well, that's enough abbreviations for now. All I have left is a final selector for a text tone and a pair of 81s. :)

"It's nice to see the DP in line with the steps for a change." and in the lee of the prevailing wind!

Small world Ian :)

I spent some time at Shirehampton - left BT in 1996 and went to Nokia.

Back