Just a swan - with added final version!

Yes, just a swam but some PoV
you got there, Mike! (y)

Its a decent one Mike ...i reckon there is some room for pulling details out of those whites Mike ,what do you think.
Could be wrong but a try ...not saying anything wrong with the origanal just looked like there was detail their ..Mikes edit  (1 of 1).jpg

some room for pulling details out of those whites

I like your edit Dennis though (just me!)
I would not have gone that far, I did not
say too far! (y)

I like your edit Dennis though (just me!)
I would not have gone that far, I did not
say too far! (y)
Hi Daniel ...not saying my edit is correct , i was just thinking that their was room for pulling the highlights back .
i dont like going to far as it starts to look greyed out..

not saying my edit is correct

It is never meant to be but to suggest, explore
alternative ideas. after all it is performed on a
low res jpg!°

I like that Mike, the exposure has given the purity of the white feathers without loss of detail. :)

Its a decent one Mike ...i reckon there is some room for pulling details out of those whites Mike ,what do you think.
Could be wrong but a try ...not saying anything wrong with the origanal just looked like there was detail their ..View attachment 72024

thanks for the effort Den, always welcome.

On my screen, your edit looks quite dark, but this is one of the problems with digital - we're all looking on different equipment.

None of the whites were blown but I tried to keep them clean and fairly bright - maybe too much, so here's another edit using a curves layer with the 'bright end' of the curve dragged down a little with a couple of the darker feather areas masked off to keep them bright.

What do you think of this version then? I think I prefer this - thanks for the input

Mike

swan-reflection-v2.jpg

I see nothing wrong with the first image (or any of them for that matter) with the exception of the water level from left to right going ever so slightly uphill. I think there may also be an optical illusion at play here! I've managed to get the level right by applying 0.4 degrees of clockwise rotation, but it still looks like it's flowing uphill, even though I can see (with the grid) that it's not.

Aside from this, I think the original image at the top of the page looks best on my screen.

I see nothing wrong with the first image (or any of them for that matter) with the exception of the water level from left to right going ever so slightly uphill. I think there may also be an optical illusion at play here! I've managed to get the level right by applying 0.4 degrees of clockwise rotation, but it still looks like it's flowing uphill, even though I can see (with the grid) that it's not.

Aside from this, I think the original image at the top of the page looks best on my screen.

Cheers John.

the problem here is the bird is slightly angled away from the camera, which, as you say, has the optical illusion of him swimming uphill. I tend to use the crop tool in situations like this and go to the 'straighten' option. I then draw a vertical line between an identical point on the bird with the same point in it's reflection and that gives the correct view. It does still look off line sometimes, but I believe thats the best way of doing things.

Thanks for the comment.

Mike

Cool, certainly a step in the right direction! (y)

Hi Daniel, I'm guessing then you think I should go further. How would you go about it? If you want the original RAW rather than a low res jpeg, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you for a play.

Actually, I don't mind anyone having a play to keep things interesting and keep a discussion going - it's not like I'm giving away an award winner!

Mike

I'm guessing then you think I should go further

All we can do is suggest, express preference but
• If personal taste is involved, discussion is pointless •

I don't think your edit needs more I just think I would do more.
Not as much as previously suggested but still…

I do not need to demonstrate anything in this case, I see you're
doing the right thing, the right way. ;)

thanks for the effort Den, always welcome.

On my screen, your edit looks quite dark, but this is one of the problems with digital - we're all looking on different equipment.

None of the whites were blown but I tried to keep them clean and fairly bright - maybe too much, so here's another edit using a curves layer with the 'bright end' of the curve dragged down a little with a couple of the darker feather areas masked off to keep them bright.

What do you think of this version then? I think I prefer this - thanks for the input

Mike

View attachment 72025
As in my origanal comment Mike ,not saying youre metering was out,just wondering if their was room pulling a bit back.
As you say we all see it a bit different ,i personaly think youre revisit is better to me .
i reckon and i print a lot of my images .....that if you printed both your first image and then youre revisit i would put money on the revisit looking better ....just my view on it

Hi Mike,

I prefer your second edit. I reckon you could probably bring the highlights back a bit on the top of the wings, as you can see that there is detail there from Den's image.

Also, is it FF or cropped? Personal preference on my part, I'd like to see the same gap between the reflected head and the bottom of the frame as the head and the top of the frame :)

Overall a nice, pleasing image though (y)

Hi Mike,

I prefer your second edit. I reckon you could probably bring the highlights back a bit on the top of the wings, as you can see that there is detail there from Den's image.

Also, is it FF or cropped? Personal preference on my part, I'd like to see the same gap between the reflected head and the bottom of the frame as the head and the top of the frame :)

Overall a nice, pleasing image though (y)

Cheers Wez,

You're right, there is more detail to pull out, but I wanted to keep the whites as clean as I could - I might have another play though!

I actually added a bit more canvas to the bottom of the frame and filled it in by cloning some of the water into the new canvas as the reflected head was really tight to the bottom. The only cropping I did was after I made a slight alteration to the levelling of the frame which meant some of the corners were automatically cropped off and I had to neaten it up accordingly, otherwise it is just about full frame.

Mike

For me the second attempt by you Mike,but huge gratitiude to all parties for opening up the discussion especially Den maybe it wouldn't have happened without his post,very interesting this one,Mike I really love the water is almost feels like one is seeing under the water because the foreground is so still whereas the area surrounding the swan has just a bit of wind movement to it. I adore the secondaries Mike just beautiful,have another bash mate I feel similar to Wez ,these lines are very fine that you are dealing with,I see what you are questing for,but maybe just a gnats b*** back: you might be able to keep those white and show a bit more detail. Very interesting reading for those of us trying to seek to be better i'd personally love to see more debates like this.

A lovely image too Mike sorry, I should have started with that..... good read guys
thankyou

Stu

OK everyone - Looks like I had to get back on this one, so I've tried a final version trying to get the last detail out of the feathers - one more curves adjustment and the brightest areas were subjected to a bit of the Nik details extractor.

View attachment 72144

In all seriousness, thanks for the feedback - it's what this place is for.

Mike

And I think that's the best edit (y)

Very well done

And I think that's the best edit (y)

Very well done

I'm not sure...

If you compare them side by side whilst I appreciate the the final edit does bring out more feather detail it starts to look false. The light is coming from above and thus the top bent over feather "should" be more blown out or white than the side feathers - the final edit to my eye looks unnaturally lit.

We do sometimes strive so much to pull out detail we often forget to keep a check on reality....

IMHO

I'm not sure...

If you compare them side by side whilst I appreciate the the final edit does bring out more feather detail it starts to look false. The light is coming from above and thus the top bent over feather "should" be more blown out or white than the side feathers - the final edit to my eye looks unnaturally lit.

We do sometimes strive so much to pull out detail we often forget to keep a check on reality....

IMHO

Fair point pal. It's just interesting to me to get more viewpoints.

Cheers for stopping by, good to get differing opinions.

Mike

I'm not sure...

IMHO

Which is why I said "I think that's the best edit" ;)

Mike, FWIW, I've just had a good look at them all side by side. On my monitor, your 2nd edit has the most detail, the final edit looks to loose a tad of detail along the top side of the body.

On my screen, your edit looks quite dark

Dens edit is quite dark on my screen too but .....

this is one of the problems with digital - we're all looking on different equipment.

........ sums it up exactly (y)

Last edited:
Back