Just a Tree.

The colours are nice, but looking on flickr, the fine detail is smeary like it's had too much noise reduction. Any thoughts as to why that might be?

The colours are nice, but looking on flickr, the fine detail is smeary like it's had too much noise reduction. Any thoughts as to why that might be?

My attempt at an Orton effect, maybe I should reduce the opacity of the top layer. Will look into it. (y)

The Orton effect is quite tricky - I'd say this probably needs a stronger effect to look different enough that conventional assessment can be suspended. In the small size it has a really nice painterly effect, but I'd put that down to Flickr/TP resizing mangling the image, hence going to view full size on Flickr.

The Orton effect is quite tricky - I'd say this probably needs a stronger effect to look different enough that conventional assessment can be suspended. In the small size it has a really nice painterly effect, but I'd put that down to Flickr/TP resizing mangling the image, hence going to view full size on Flickr.

So, increase the opacity of the top (Orton) layer?

thanks. (y)

I had a go at this some time back with mixed results. From memory I put the in focus image at the front and then reduced opacity to allow the colours & tones to bleed through from behind while keeping a suggestion of detail. I've just been back and had a look at the images - one I think was successful because of the larger items and small amount of fine detail, but the other just looks a bit of a mess to me.

How OOF was the second image? I suspect there's a lot of scope for different degrees of de-focussing depending on the kind of image & amount of fine detail required for the image to 'work'.

My attempts (not to derail your thread):

This one doesn't really work for me at larger sizes because detail is poor and tones unsubtle.
Orton2016-.jpg

Much happier with this because fine detail isn't so important to the image.
Ortonapple-.jpg

Last edited:
Mine was a single image, I used a layer in Photoshop with a Guassian blur on it, then tweaked the opacity until I got an effect that looked ok.

A very new method to me but one I like and will explore more.

I literally only started using Orton effect a couple of weeks ago too, when I tried some woodland stuff. I think it's better doing as @Andy Into The Wild has said and mask off then brush in where you want the effect most, rather than doing the whole image.

Thanks Andy, Martin.

I new learning curve ahead, I will keep trying, the masking sounds a good way of doing it, I will try that. Hopefully getting out today to look for some colour that might be remaining.

I’ve been using the Orton effect for years, the key is to use it very subtly usually around 10-20% opacity. I don’t always use Thomas Heaton’s method either, sometimes the Apply Image>screen technique doesn’t quite work so you can skip that and just apply a gaussian blur of about 15% and use soft light blend mode. This shot works for me but I am viewing on a small screen, composition and lighting looks good though

I’ve been using the Orton effect for years, the key is to use it very subtly usually around 10-20% opacity. I don’t always use Thomas Heaton’s method either, sometimes the Apply Image>screen technique doesn’t quite work so you can skip that and just apply a gaussian blur of about 15% and use soft light blend mode. This shot works for me but I am viewing on a small screen, composition and lighting looks good though

Like the shot, nice burst of colour and benefits from the simple composition

thanks for the input, appreciated as always. (y)

That's the difference ,Thomas can :confused:. Not sure what processing has been done or what effect you were looking for, it doesn't work !. Any chance to see the untouched image ?

Just being honest
Sean

That's the difference ,Thomas can :confused:. Not sure what processing has been done or what effect you were looking for, it doesn't work !. Any chance to see the untouched image ?

Just being honest
Sean

Honesty is fine with me. I will dig out the original later. (y)

Just being honest
Sean

Original, uploaded direct rather than hosted though. Coverted from RAW to jpeg.

IMGL4024 tp.jpg

To me , there doesn't appear to be enough separation for what your trying to do with the image . I'm sure someone will come along who will have a solution .

Merry Xmas
Sean

Back