Beginner Just had my first attempt at plane photography - Bournemouth Air Festival

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
We went down to the Bournemouth show yesterday, mainly to test my repaired 400mm 5.6.

The weather was warm but it was very hazy, so probably not my best intro to plane photography but I got the chance to see the Vulcan and the Red Arrows.

Anyway, here's some of my shots. Happy for any critique, just remember this was my first aitshow :)

Kit used was my 7D Mk2 and the 400mm 5.6. I swapped it for the 24-70 2.8 for the start of the Red Arrows routine and them put the 400mm back on for everything else. My 5D3 and 70-200 were on other duties over at V Festival, so this was all the kit I had to hand this weekend.

Bournemouth Air Fest 2015 by David Cane, on Flickr

Were you there with your son who was using a 70-300L by any chance were you?

I have a very similar set of shots and judging by the angle of view we couldn't have been far apart :)

Last edited:
In front of the Cumberland hotel?

Anyway, nice shots - was fairly difficult conditions with all the haze.

I went to the festival Saturday, would have preferred Sunday, but forecast not good. Pity because afternoon sunny/cloudy

I prefer to arrive by train, (apparently congestion in surrounding areas horrendous) and then take bus to Pier Head & walk about halfway uphill. This helps to give a better angle rather than being on the beach. Also used 7dII and 100 - 400 mkII lens - excellent although a few missed shots due to AF not locking onto subject. The 7dII has an extensive menu regarding focus points and tracking moving subjects - which did you use?

Yep., lots of haze, not helped by vapour trails. While the sun was out, tried polariser filter. Has anyone else, and what were your results?

not sure about the last unless it is a farewell to the Vulcan. It made my day when I was at rounhill just outside Brockenhurst and the Vulcan flew over today (Sunday)

As to your pics, like no3 but tight around top/rh - give moving subjects something to move into. If you did not crop, how about cloning some sky to give more space

Like no5, what shutter speed as with props/rotors, there needs to be motion blur. my first two shots of Sally-B were taken at 1/500 - too fast, froze the props and used 1/400 for the rest (ISO 200, F14 no filter)

No 6 - would have been pleased to capture this re detail & composition

Last edited:
I tried lowering the shutter speed for the prop planes but my panning was not good enough with a non-IS lens. More skill is required for me to master those shots.

I got quite a few Vulcan shots, but the best were as it was flying away.
No 3 is a crop, I've recomposed it since posting that and will update the Flickr shot later tonight.

We were positioned behind the beach adjacent to the main display area. If I'd been on my own (without the wife in tow) I would have walked further up the hill to get shots with some background, but that wasn't an option yesterday.

I have to say, pretty happy with the shots considering it was with a new ( to me) prime lens. It's my first telephoto prime so it's going to take some practice to get the best compositions without the luxury to zoom out.

Back