Just some ducks

Hi Jan.

Some fine detail captured there. I find water can play havoc with my exposures.

Gaz

I love the Pintails… very cool design! :)

I think the Shoveler is very well rendered (y)
but the first could be revisited.

How can I improve the pintail, Daniel? I think I was guilty of burning out the white on the breast (it's on the other computer which isn't on so I can't check) but I really struggle with dark and white birds.

I recall you saying you were going,Jan.. Well done. Lovely one of the Pintail, my favourite which I've mentioned before.It's photogenic.

Ey up darlin:D.cor Jan my apologies:oops: :$ i thought I replied days back ,probably feel asleep with my ead in me dinner again and didn't hit submit DOH:D

Janny the first is sort of classic side on portrait, I 'd like a lower pov you knew I'd say that;) but that isn't always a choice. lovely detail mate

Funny though, your shovler I like more.:) It's not the natural choice Janny facing away but it's that pose I can see him Jan doing that relate to him, I really like that:)

Oh Jan a 550d I used to have one,well ok it was meant to pass to shaz but too heavy so my boy has it. I haven't used it for ages but what a cracking little camera:cool:. Regarding the white Jan does the 550 have blinkies on the rear screen . Jann it's so long since i've used that little thing ,me brick is so different. i've not shot alot over water but chimping the hell out of some testers and those blinkies in that breif instant after sutter press would be where I'd go now on blown hilights. but the key here might be what is the brightest thing when wacking out testers,if it's Mr Pin then stop down maybe a third maybe two???

Jan when I changed I felt this area (exp)was very different, between the two cameras...I don't know anything Janny can't articulate it but felt it,

I think with time we live these cameras and start to gain an awareness of the nuances of exp.for our chosen tools. Janny that spell with the hares what I read didn't work,blown hilights on a bright day all ways,I dunno maybe proximaty. But the back of camera blinkies really help me. I haven't nailed it all yet mate but those blinkies are a fine tool. i'm embarassed I can't remember if the fiftly has 'em. you might need to pull back a third over water Jan ,but there's a method out there for sure. Whites they present problems to all of us because our eyes see so much more than a camera same with the darks, But blown white can kill an image maybe darks not quite so much *said the guy fighting with a boar with too much black LMAO" but try and get a quick couple off before hand if humanly poss. Janny we've been chatting for ages you know me I use these constantly

Janny I find exposure really tricky to read,maybe some guys are just gifted ,or it comes to them more naturally ,I dunno. I understand it but getting it spot on,not so much.. But nailing it means your cameras sensor is working to it;s best ,so now ya can push ss iso what ever,there's so much from nailing it,I love having these glimpses that didgi give us that film didn't and it's free such a tool for learning the freedom to just take the shot and bin it.

All the luck.hope this makes sense I'm more of a basket case than normal kiddo:rolleyes: oh mate all the luck with the old bones sorry no reply admire you guys so much!! I am simply am falling asleep and not submitting,ruddy hopeless I am

As an aside and sort of funny I've ,been worried sick of late about me precious lens braking, If it broke I don't think I can get it fixed,for something so expensive Jan it doesn't bare thinking about UGG . So bought a new thang today OMG Jan I'm completely shocked at what I've done,it's cool I've grafted my sox off for this but ya know OMG:runaway::D Jees one life I guess:rolleyes: or madness who knows??? . But if it works for me then I don't have to worry for years

omg janny lol now I've got no lens and to wait......

really hard to part with my lens is that sad??

lovely to see mate cheers for sharing shovler for me makes me smile:)

stu

Thanks Stu. I love my 550D. It's small and light and suits me (I'm small and light with slightly dodgy hands/wrists). I'm considering upgrading to the 800D for the 'better' af system and higher fps, but to be honest I just use single point (usually centre) af and rarely machine gun even though I set the camera to do so. I think if I was big on flight shots the 800D would be a good buy, but because of my hand and wrist problems I rarely shoot in flight. The Siggy 150-600 is a big lump to hold up. The other downside of the 800D is that until I get my new computer (which may be this winter) I can't work direct with the raws from it. I'd have to convert to tiff is DPP first. Hate DPP - don't use it!
I'm not certain if I have blown the whites on the pintail's breast. I keep forgetting to go on the other computer and look. I do have blinkies set but when the light is constantly changing, you're working with a white and dark bird that presents the 'right' pose for a split second in an hour and you're on auto iso, it all gets a bit tricky. If I can I try to control exposure by choosing the bit of plumage I'm aiming the centre spot at. With a side on bird if that means you're not actually picking up focus from the eye you're not going to notice.
I'd always like a lower or better pov but these were shot from a hide where you don't get a choice, but I think you knew that. Why are so many hides built so a photographer's pov is too high and people my size have to try to find something to stand on to see out at all?

amazing little camera Jan I had a crack at seo's with mine the 300 and a rummin 2X ext on it it looked very strange and although focus was slow that tiny camera managed to get me some frames I'm frankly still chuffed with now.

Ha Janny I love dpp,we are all different, but have you got version 4/ Jan the lastest incarnate I think it's 4;6;10 supports the 550 now I was so thrilled. I went straight to me owls pics and played bliss compared to that old thang!!e all different if it works for you it works simple as. You probably know all this mate,but it's worth chucking it out there,because version 4 is so much better than version 3.

Oh Jan these whites especially as you say with darks to blacks on the same bird aren't easy I struggle too, I just know how much those blinkies help me get nearer tis all. It doesn't seem to matter how much effort I put in to getting as much right as possible ,shot time is so hectic.sometimes I wonder if i'll ever really nail it. Mind up close I'm bunging focal points all ways (so hectic Jan I don't know how folks do it fast and so accurately)

Ha ha we are two peas....my boy's building new pc for me I really hope processing will be less painful ,but I fear trying to learn ps might make me scream a bit;)

These lenses are so heavy,i'm incredibly lucky to be pretty fit Jan,oh god I ache from head to toe ,but I'm a lucky guy so far health wise. I basically do a fast but fairly light work out for hours as my job,it would cost a fortune in a gym. But along day with a lens kicks me about. Jan I know what you deal with via me lady fair play kiddo

Jan the design of almost every hide I have ever been in made me feel awkward,damn uncomfy, view compromised pov sucked for anything on water,unless one has huge reach I guess??. Jan, these hides are cool.it allows joe public to be in amongst nature.... being slapped a bit by the beauty we see is no bad thing:D they allow shelter and access for less able folks to photograph too.but...........

It really would be wonderful to have just a few for noisy folks to go click in. it that are designed with just a tiny bit of thought directed towards image makers,not asking for everything Jan . I do hear you, As I have said before I admire folks thta use 'em ,but me I struggle

take care, mate

stu

Thanks for the reminder, Stu - now I'm sitting in front of the correct computer...............the white on the breast is not blown. Very close, but I haven't found anywhere it's pushed too far on all channels. How lucky was that! I can't get DPP4 yet as my image processing pc is still running Win XP.......... yes, I know but if it ain't broke and all that. Once I've got my new Win10 desktop (and had to replace/kiss goodbye to a lot of my software - the downside of an OS upgrade) I will get DPP4 but I still won't use it. I use PaintShop Pro, currently on X6 and I'm not in a hurry to upgrade until (if) I get a newer camera. I've grown up with PSP and it does everything I want to do (and a lot more). I don't know how comparable it is with Photoshop. It certainly knocks the socks off Elements, which as I remember is about the same price.....(?!) but when I used Photoshop for a bit a long time ago I just didn't get on with it. And I consider Photoshop to be way overpiced for what I want to do.

Awesome goof for you mate,I do love pintails,the lady I worked for had lots of pins they were one of her favourite waterfowl,she even had colour mutations like luecistic of this exact bird(not something i'm a huge fan of ,but nice to see and work with them)

These pc's are a mystery to me Jan amen to if it ain't broke !! We can sometimes spend an hour turning this one on ,so I'm pretty much forced into this it's driving me nuts

Thanks for the tips ps seems over the top to me too mate price wise I just need to try it but being clamped into adobe is something I'm no fan off.

Mate all this has to be what works for us individually processing or the tools to grab a picture it matters not,but cheers mate I will look at the other programme you have mentioned. This digi world is so taxing to learn, I wouldn't be looking for anything if dpp could do all I wanted

Interesting chat Janny thanks

stu

Back