Just suppose it was intentional, Sirch's 52 for 2017, 52, Weather

Lovelt colours in that, the fern in particular.

I always mentally equate ferns as prehistoric type plants as theyve been arounf for ages.

Like your idea, Chris and well spotted.
Lovelt colours in that, the fern in particular.

I always mentally equate ferns as prehistoric type plants as theyve been arounf for ages.
Thanks guys, ferns do seem a bit prehistoric don't they.

Hi Chris, it's my first visit since week 0 so a lot of images to view! Favourites so far are the magnificent cow in your Hairy image, the second image of the water for Smooth with all of that lovely motion blur, the fabulous brooding landscape for Dark, the montage for Power which is a great idea for the theme and well arranged, and your image for Evolve with very effective use of a low POV and DOF, and the bright green growth contrasting with the hard rock. An interesting thread and I've enjoyed catching up :clap:

Hi Chris,

Above - It works for me. Quite like the saturated feel to the shot and the strong blacks in the trees.
Evolve - I was reading this image as a fossil in the making. I don't think the oof bottom of the image adds anything, have you considered a square (instagram) crop?

Hi Chris, Doing a bit of a catch up on comments :) Like your attractive caver, I like the lighting and how the roof looks like water over your head. Very dramatic dark skies and lovely light on the ground. Above works for me too, lots of drama in this one too and I like the way the hills are faded out in the back ground too :D

Good use of dof Chris and the green of the fern stands out beautifully against the grey rock.

Hi Chris, it's my first visit since week 0 so a lot of images to view! Favourites so far are the magnificent cow in your Hairy image, the second image of the water for Smooth with all of that lovely motion blur, the fabulous brooding landscape for Dark, the montage for Power which is a great idea for the theme and well arranged, and your image for Evolve with very effective use of a low POV and DOF, and the bright green growth contrasting with the hard rock. An interesting thread and I've enjoyed catching up :clap:

Hi Chris,

Above - It works for me. Quite like the saturated feel to the shot and the strong blacks in the trees.
Evolve - I was reading this image as a fossil in the making. I don't think the oof bottom of the image adds anything, have you considered a square (instagram) crop?

Hi Chris, Doing a bit of a catch up on comments :) Like your attractive caver, I like the lighting and how the roof looks like water over your head. Very dramatic dark skies and lovely light on the ground. Above works for me too, lots of drama in this one too and I like the way the hills are faded out in the back ground too :D

Good retail in the fern, nice idea. (y)

Thanks all and thanks for taking the time to catch up. @LC2 - I hadn't thought of a square crop in this case but I think it could work

Some great shots since I last visited your thread (sorry its been ages)
I love the caving shot your very brave taking your camera in there the lighting is very effective and I like the water round your feet.
I like your landscapes for dark and above especially the dark one very dramatic.
Hold brings back some memories, he certainly doesn't want to let go

You get some adventurous shots, first caving and now this! I would certainly be holding on tight if I were up there!

I like the out of focus bush/leaves at the front and the placement of the climber in the shot. For me I would like to see part of the face at least though.

Some great shots since I last visited your thread (sorry its been ages)
I love the caving shot your very brave taking your camera in there the lighting is very effective and I like the water round your feet.
I like your landscapes for dark and above especially the dark one very dramatic.
Hold brings back some memories, he certainly doesn't want to let go
Hold is brilliant. He really is holding on for dear life. Lovely slab of rock in the background too! Well done.
You get some adventurous shots, first caving and now this! I would certainly be holding on tight if I were up there!

I like the out of focus bush/leaves at the front and the placement of the climber in the shot. For me I would like to see part of the face at least though.

Thanks all, he's a she BTW here's an alternative for @SteveSc but I went for that one because you could see her hands, see was a bit too focused on the climbing to be looking around I think

Climbers at Trowbarrow by TheWub, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hold is a cracker of a shot Chris, knew it was a She too, best out of the lot on theme (y)(y)

Liking the hold images Chris, the second one especially !!! - now that is one thing I do not think I would enjoy :wideyed:

Spot on theme, two well-captured shots.

Thanks all, glad you like them I was using a long lens to get details but they don't quite get the sense of vertigo of being there

Thanks all, he's a she BTW here's an alternative for @SteveSc but I went for that one because you could see her hands, see was a bit too focused on the climbing to be looking around I think

There both good, I can see why you chose the first one with her hand round the corner of the rock but I really like the second one with the viewpoint along the flat of the rock face and being able to see her face. It always amazes me how little these climbers need to hold onto!

Just out of interest, were you climbing and taking the photos?

Crazy people! Two good shots ... #2 I like but too much detail in that BG.

There both good, I can see why you chose the first one with her hand round the corner of the rock but I really like the second one with the viewpoint along the flat of the rock face and being able to see her face. It always amazes me how little these climbers need to hold onto!

Just out of interest, were you climbing and taking the photos?
It is amazing what they can climb up, I couldn't even get off the ground on most of these climbs. I wasn't climbing although it looks like the shot was level with the climber I was on the ground with a long lens about 20 metres below.

I can see why you went for the hand in the first, but I really like the second shot for the expression of the climber - nicely composed too.
Thanks Emma

Crazy people! Two good shots ... #2 I like but too much detail in that BG.
Thanks David, I agree about the backgound but I think it looked better with some separtion between the climber and the rock rather than having a cleaner background but with a "flatter" image from further round.

Evolve - very nice composition, the grey harshness of the rock contrasts with the soft green and yellows of the fern nicely.

Hold - on topic for sure. Shame about the background in the second 'hold' shot as I prefer the viewing angle you have of the climber.

I'm going to break the mould here and say i prefer the first one. I can't really say why, it just appeals to me more.

Evolve - very nice composition, the grey harshness of the rock contrasts with the soft green and yellows of the fern nicely.

Hold - on topic for sure. Shame about the background in the second 'hold' shot as I prefer the viewing angle you have of the climber.

The second shot for me Chris, it feels more as if you're actually there, rather than viewing it from afar.

I'm going to break the mould here and say i prefer the first one. I can't really say why, it just appeals to me more.

Thanks all

As Dave said, at least you have a shot in. There is a clear link to smoke so fits the theme and it has some nice elements, I like the contrast of the clean modern sign against the old wall and the moss cover on the wall up the road, the building in the background with all the vertical slats is unusual as well.

As Dave said, at least you have a shot in. There is a clear link to smoke so fits the theme and it has some nice elements, I like the contrast of the clean modern sign against the old wall and the moss cover on the wall up the road, the building in the background with all the vertical slats is unusual as well.

Well that's certainly thinking outside the box Chris ...well done, although that place looks a bit grim, I assume its just the sign on the wall giving the direction, hope the gardens are a bit more scenic.

Thanks both, it was only built last year, I guess it will "mature" a bit over the next few years

Nice to see a Smoke shot that doesn't appear to include any smoke. (y)

Back