Juvenile Goshawk flypast.

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Out at Slimbridge this morning (Holden Tower) and suddenly heard a commotion from the Sandpipers at the side of the hide.
On going to the side and looking out of the window I could see a raptor chasing a Rook in a full blown aerial manoeuvre which was scattering everything on the water. As I watched I managed to get one shot off before the raptor turned and followed the Rook right toward me, the Rook swerved away and the raptor headed straight for the window ... and me!
At the last minute it appeared to see me and swerved up onto the roof of the hide and I didn't see it again.
I wasn't sure what the bird was but after making numerous checks and hearing of two confirmed sightings of a juvenile Goshawk at the site today I am now 99% certain it was a juvenile Goshawk.
Not the best of images due partly to the concrete pillbox in the background but I was thrilled to see it and get at least one shot.

Juvenile Goshawk
by Roger, on Flickr

How lucky are you (y) Who cares about the background, that is a cracking capture

How lucky are you (y) Who cares about the background, that is a cracking capture

Thanks Ingrid, there were about four sightings around the reserve so I was pleased to get a shot of it ... at first I thought it might have been a female Sparrowhawk but that has officially been discounted. :)

It certainly looks like a goshawk. Could you arrange for it to come back tomorrow when I should be there (not that I would have any chance of getting it in flight........................... :))

It certainly looks like a goshawk. Could you arrange for it to come back tomorrow when I should be there (not that I would have any chance of getting it in flight........................... :))

Well every chance Jan it was seen by me at the Holden but also out on the estuary by the safari jeep and over at the Rushy where it emptied the lakes! :)

I like it Gramps, it just shows the right place, right time pays off..! Some people would call it an urban goshawk you know..

It certainly does Jason ... that and sitting patiently whilst other come and go :)
I am assuming that this bird had come across the estuary from the Forest of Dean but I have no way of being sure on that.

Great shot :) I was there on Sunday for the first time, will definitely be coming back!

Great shot :) I was there on Sunday for the first time, will definitely be coming back!

It is a great place isn't it ... sure there are the 'exhibits' and children :runaway: but there is also a lot of wild species to see and photograph.

It is a great place isn't it ... sure there are the 'exhibits' and children :runaway: but there is also a lot of wild species to see and photograph.

Very good place. I've come to this from the photography angle, lots to learn in terms of ornithology!

Great capture, especially under the described conditions. Well done.

I didn't see it but I only went to Rushy and South Lake. Then I went home because it was too hot - partly due to to having a large dead weight in my rucksack. I need yet another rethink about my bean bag. I took out the original poly bead filling because it wasn't up to supporting the 150-600mm lens and the beads were getting squashed. So I filled it with split lentils, which do a great job but it's too heavy to drag around in my rucksack all day. On the plus side it was great seeing so many green sandpipers and I couldn't help sniggering when the guy in the Rushy hide with me was endlesly machine gunning the pied wagtails. I ended up sniggering out loud. Naughty, I know, but I couldn't help it, so I then had to ask him just how many days it took him to sort through them all. He assured me he'd 'only taken about 1000 exposures - normally it's about 3000'. I'll just remember that every time I lust after a camera that does 10 fps or better...........;)

I didn't see it but I only went to Rushy and South Lake. Then I went home because it was too hot - partly due to to having a large dead weight in my rucksack. I need yet another rethink about my bean bag. I took out the original poly bead filling because it wasn't up to supporting the 150-600mm lens and the beads were getting squashed. So I filled it with split lentils, which do a great job but it's too heavy to drag around in my rucksack all day. On the plus side it was great seeing so many green sandpipers and I couldn't help sniggering when the guy in the Rushy hide with me was endlesly machine gunning the pied wagtails. I ended up sniggering out loud. Naughty, I know, but I couldn't help it, so I then had to ask him just how many days it took him to sort through them all. He assured me he'd 'only taken about 1000 exposures - normally it's about 3000'. I'll just remember that every time I lust after a camera that does 10 fps or better...........;)

Yes Jan I had a smallish beanbag filled with rice but I soon threw the rice away, far too heavy ... have a look at this site for beanbags: http://www.trevorhannant.com/
He uses a mixture of polystyrene and poly(something else!) which makes it light but substantial enough to support the camera, I also bought a bag of small polustyrene balls off eBay which I use to refill the one that had rice when it gets a bit jaded.
Don't you love those who keep the camera on 'Ch' and forget to take their finger off the shutter button. :D

Yes Jan I had a smallish beanbag filled with rice but I soon threw the rice away, far too heavy ... have a look at this site for beanbags: http://www.trevorhannant.com/
He uses a mixture of polystyrene and poly(something else!) which makes it light but substantial enough to support the camera, I also bought a bag of small polustyrene balls off eBay which I use to refill the one that had rice when it gets a bit jaded.
Don't you love those who keep the camera on 'Ch' and forget to take their finger off the shutter button. :D

Poly plastic pellets. I was going to try them and decided not to. Now I'm going to try them, but maybe leave some of the present filling in as it now moulds a lot better than it did with the poly balls, and it stays put when I knock it with the lens.

Back