Juvenile GSW's

Lovely detailed set of images there Brian, love the third shot.

They look well exposed and sharp enough. They all need more room for the bird in the frame, either at the tail on most or at the head in number 1. I would be tempted to lift the shadows as well on them all.

I find it hard to please all on this forum, I nearly always get "too tightly cropped" or "not tight enough" as comments, guess I just have to roll with the punches. There was very little cropping on these as the two fledglings were very close to my hide, I was reluctant to reach for the zoom ring on the lens as this is often enough to spook the birds into flight ;)

Brian, you choose who you listen to and if they are correct or not, i only gave some pointers and crit( pointed out a few positives as well) to help but hey ho your decision. I posted as i see issues with the images which are prominant. I have been there with easily spooked birds but not reaching for the zoom ring isnt an excuse to not being able to post better composed images. Move the hide back a bit, have the zoom ring preset so you kow you have plenty of room would be my suggestion.

Last edited:
Hi Brian

My £0.02. I really like images 1-3. Nice crisp, detailed shots with just a couple of a blown highlights on 3 which could maybe be sorted in PP ? No 4 is a nice behaviour shot which I like for this reason. Not so keen on 5, looks a bit messy in lots of ways.
I think the framing is good on these but then I really like tight crops. Overall though a very nice set ! Congrats on getting these.

Last edited:
Hi Brian

My £0.02. I really like images 1-3. Nice crisp, detailed shots with just a couple of a blown highlights on 3 which could maybe be sorted in PP ? No 4 is a nice behaviour shot which I like for this reason. Not so keen on 5, looks a bit messy in lots of ways.
I think the framing is good on these but then I really like tight crops. Overall though a very nice set ! Congrats on getting these.
Gary, not sure what you like about the framing as i can see they are way to tight, the feet and tails are cut off or have no room at all in the image, but if you think thats fine i cant change your mind and you have your own mind set on what good framing is.

Mark it's a good thing we're not all the same, you're obviously anal about framing, I think in the above shots there's just one toenail that's clipped. I went to my hide that morning and the two fledgling GSW's presented a lot closer than expected and I decided not to re-zoom and accept what I'd got which personally suits me otherwise I would not have posted them. Personally I like close up detail and am not fussed on getting an acre of bokeh in the shot. We'll just have to agree to disagree I'm afraid JMHO ;)

I like the punch of shots 1 and 2 and the behavior caught in 4 and 5 although i'd agree with gary about the messy background in 5 (which is of course unavoidable) - framing wise it doesn't bother me much as it doesn't cut off feet or tails, shot 1 would have benefitted from slightly more room at the bootom so its claw isnt right up against the edge, but its a minor point.

I also like the lighting as it is, i wouldn't lift the shadows too much less you cause burn out in the paler areas

Gary, not sure what you like about the framing as i can see they are way to tight, the feet and tails are cut off or have no room at all in the image, but if you think thats fine i cant change your mind and you have your own mind set on what good framing is.

Hi Mark,

I did notice your comments before posting. I guess this is a horses-for-courses thing ? My wildlife images are all about the detail and the behaviour and I rarely think about the environmental aspects so I like to see a really tight crop. I fully appreciate that I am probably in a minority here in this section.

Not at all Gary, we just differ on what we like in an image and i for one like some space around the bird unless its a portrait type or half body shot where i would then be looking for more detail. It annoys me when simple things like missing bits like tails or toes arent in the frame. Yeah its only a little but ask yourself what the bird would be sitting on if you cant see that low.

I'm pretty much with you gary as i too like to see a tight crop with plenty of detail , although that said i do prefer not to have bits of the subject cropped off (tails, feet etc) unless its deliberate to focus in on a certain area

You are correct Brian you do have to roll with it as you will not please everybody.I would side with Mark,if it were me then the fact I had clipped the toe would have been enough for me not to post it up.But that is not to say the shot is crap,it is just let down by that small detail.I do not know what your thoughts are,did you have the slightest bit of dissapointment when you seen that?I guess you must have realised you had missed it by such a small margin.You have had a great chance of photographing them and if they hang about you will get more,so perhaps you are in a position not to worry too much.Not sure what kit you are using but if you have a hide set pretty close then moving it back slightly would then give you more options on cropping in to suite,in this day and age you are unlikely to lose that much detail by doing that.As for me I like #5 for being diferent and a nice behaviour capture.

Hi Brian ,as above ,.......you have the potential here of achieving some good results,you have done the hard bit ,found your subject and put a hide in place ,the rest is down to you now and what you want to achieve ,personaly i dont go to much for the tight frames and i certainly wouldnt have hit the shutter knowing i had clipped the feet ,head etc,this does bug me ,and its probably just me but when you look through the viewfinder and see you have clipped whatever ,to me its time to re-think IE compostion,the basics ,sadly some shots are just thrown up without thought of compostion,luckily now adays you get two chances one on the day when you put your eye to the viewfinder on your subject and one in PP when you can crop for comp,this is not having a go Brian its just my opinion on the shots you posted ,were would the fun and challenge come in to it if you got it bang on first time,a bit boring i would say ,and its all subjective and if you like tight frames what about some head shots or something a bit different ,your equipment does not stop or limit you in being a bit more adventurous ...your images Brian ae fine and i am not knocking them but i believe that they can be improved upon by a long way if you want to....look forward to seeing some more

You are correct Brian you do have to roll with it as you will not please everybody.I would side with Mark,if it were me then the fact I had clipped the toe would have been enough for me not to post it up.But that is not to say the shot is crap,it is just let down by that small detail.I do not know what your thoughts are,did you have the slightest bit of dissapointment when you seen that?I guess you must have realised you had missed it by such a small margin.You have had a great chance of photographing them and if they hang about you will get more,so perhaps you are in a position not to worry too much.Not sure what kit you are using but if you have a hide set pretty close then moving it back slightly would then give you more options on cropping in to suite,in this day and age you are unlikely to lose that much detail by doing that.As for me I like #5 for being diferent and a nice behaviour capture.

To be honest the clipped toenail doesn't bother me one iota and I certainly would not see it as a reason for not posting the image let alone hitting a delete key. I've re-visited the RAW just to double check on my failing memory and there was no crop at all on that shot. I see the fledglings every day at the moment and as you say no doubt can capture them again ;)

Back