juvenile herring gull with black rat

Mole: "a spy who becomes part of and works from within the ranks of an enemy governmental staff or intelligence agency"
Just that this one is on an aerial mission. ;)

I stand corrected , the pink feet fooled me good catch then

@the black fox If it is a black rat (from what I can see from the photo it seem to fit roughly the description, particularly that long looking tail in the first shot, but from what I can tell the habitat isn't typical for the UK) then it's quite a find as they're now very rare in Britain. https://www.mammal.org.uk/species-hub/full-species-hub/discover-mammals/species-black-rat/

Perhaps cropping in to reveal more detail might allow someone on here to confirm the id, failing that sending the photo to your local mammal group might confirm things, and perhaps come up with an interesting biological record for your patch?

Last edited:
Black rat, also known as the ship rat and the roof rat in the past. It usually gets the blame for spreading plague in the Middle Ages and Early Modern periods.

They've been largely displaced by the brown (Norwegian) rat in this country, and are only found in a few places now.

Back