Keep going back to the same place...

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I keep going back to the same place, Stalybridge Country Park, in Tameside. I have been here countless times and have never really got an image that I like so its surprising I do keep returning! Anyway I forced myself I to take a different path yesterday, well I say path - it was actually up a small stream off the beaten track. I am glad I did, as I managed to get this which was is one of the small little pools that had formed in the rocky landscape. I also saw 2 female deer - never even new they were in the location as I'd not seen them previously here - something to think about in the future! I was inspired on this composition by the Thomas Heaton video he posted recently in Scotland. P.S - I think I need to invest in a polariser! c&c welcome.

SwirlyWhirly by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

I didn't see the Heaton video, anything that gets people out shooting is good news I think.
This is a pleasent enough shot and it's great to explore new areas even if it is a different direction into a well known spot.
I think with small waterfalls like this it makes all the difference to give them a longer exposure as it excentuates the smaller flow of water.
I'd have been tempted to give it a bit more here to really get that swirl going. Even without the cpl filter the water is quite clear.
Really nice Autumn colours and gives the impression of a hidden waterfall....(y)

I didn't see the Heaton video, anything that gets people out shooting is good news I think.
This is a pleasent enough shot and it's great to explore new areas even if it is a different direction into a well known spot.
I think with small waterfalls like this it makes all the difference to give them a longer exposure as it excentuates the smaller flow of water.
I'd have been tempted to give it a bit more here to really get that swirl going. Even without the cpl filter the water is quite clear.
Really nice Autumn colours and gives the impression of a hidden waterfall....(y)

Can I just say you are one of the best critiquers (if that's a word!) on this forum - always well balanced and always more than just good shot, so thanks for that.
Understand now you say it it makes sense to have tried to have gotten he swirl to be swirlier - I will have to go back now won't I!
Cheers

Agree with your comment above and regarding the image I like it. Well done one making something out of a local scene, it's a well balanced arrangement, and I get the impression you have cleverly removed a sense of scale to make a relatively small view look good.

Agree with your comment above and regarding the image I like it. Well done one making something out of a local scene, it's a well balanced arrangement, and I get the impression you have cleverly removed a sense of scale to make a relatively small view look good.

Thanks Craig much appreciated

Can I just say you are one of the best critiquers (if that's a word!) on this forum - always well balanced and always more than just good shot, so thanks for that.
Understand now you say it it makes sense to have tried to have gotten he swirl to be swirlier - I will have to go back now won't I!
Cheers
I really appreciate your comments Chris, in that case i wish my photography matched my critique! I did go through the post on TP regarding how to critique which was good, but additionally to that i have found that critiquing other peoples work has made me much more critical of my own.
This has had a Positive and Negative effect however! On the positive side its made me more careful when i take photographs, also where and when i take photos. The absolute negative side is, I became so uber critical of my work, I stopped posting for the thought that my work doesn't make MY standard (now that was a silly thing to do, rectifying that now). Also I would not go anywhere or take the camera out of the bag unless the light and location was "Right" big mistake No2.
I've had a bit of a S**T year TBH so had to give myself a good talking to recently, so better go find my mojo eh!

Looks like a good location anyhow Chris, and if you did take a number of shots and got the swirl, swirlier but the waterfall looked to OTT you could always blend two shots together...
Also you have the option of some wildlife shots by the sound of it if you creep around quietly.

Thanks for the kind words.... they are much appreciated mate(y)

Nice work on a small scale colours are good the foreground movement is nice maybe longer would be better but I suggest multiple shots for this type of thing as you get different patterns and then get a choice also differeing shutter speeds gives another choice.

Returning to the same place is good IMO.

Last edited:
Back