Keeper of the Day from Catcott. But what bird?

Name
jo
Edit My Images
Yes
Even though I enjoy wildlife, when it comes to birds well I'm lost...

This is one I took at Catcott Nature Reserve best of the bunch for the day, but I don't know what it is?

Thank you

As I said, I love wildlife and birds in particular but alas, being able to put a name to what I saw and photographed is another subject completely

Get yourself a little field guide to birds. I mainly use the AA one as I like its layout but there are several available. Photography is great because you don't have to look the bird up at the time and you don't have to try to remember what it looked like. Using a book is so much easier than trying to ID a bird online.

Nice shot. There were probably another 4 or 5 in the group..........

Yes there were quite a few around, but alas left with several pictures of empty branches :)

Collins Bird Guide is good

With the shot just a shame the bird is obscured by the catkins

Unfortunately the shot that I managed to get without the catkin, is slightly soft which is so disappointing, as I was having problems, with my kit. the screw holding the plate to the lens collar kept loosening, causing the camera to swivel a bit on the gimbal, hoping a rubber washer will solve the problem.

Not been out to Catcott, normally go out to Ham Wall way, and I must say that I will be going back and exploring more, but the main lake are if you can call it that, as I should imagine it's not that deep, does dry out during the summer month's unless it's a wet summer.

I do have the RSPB bird ID book, but it's not the easiest one to use

Get yourself a little field guide to birds. I mainly use the AA one as I like its layout but there are several available. Photography is great because you don't have to look the bird up at the time and you don't have to try to remember what it looked like. Using a book is so much easier than trying to ID a bird online.

Do you have link to the AA book please Jan, I have the Collins book but would like another and a paperback, for easier use when out.

Do you have link to the AA book please Jan, I have the Collins book but would like another and a paperback, for easier use when out.

I've just been and looked on Amazon and it's only available used, which suggests it's now out of print. I like it because the illustrations are a reasonable size, making it easy to flick through. My favourite of all favourite books are a set of hard back Readers Digest field guides I acquired I don't know how many milennia ago, but the bird one is well out of date now. For obvious reasons, those books never leave the house. There is a paperback version of the Collins book, and the RSPB one looks quite good (the Rob Hume one, not the pocket guide). I searched on 'field guide birds britain & europe'.

I've just been and looked on Amazon and it's only available used, which suggests it's now out of print. I like it because the illustrations are a reasonable size, making it easy to flick through. My favourite of all favourite books are a set of hard back Readers Digest field guides I acquired I don't know how many milennia ago, but the bird one is well out of date now. For obvious reasons, those books never leave the house. There is a paperback version of the Collins book, and the RSPB one looks quite good (the Rob Hume one, not the pocket guide). I searched on 'field guide birds britain & europe'.

Thanks Jan, I will have a look on Amazon. Used isn't a problem, I just want something easier than the Collins book, which I cant find at present!

Back